Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: brickless dome on a shoestring oven

Three thoughts,

In the old days when cars used to rust lots, they used to say you'd never find rust in the boot (US trunk) of a brickie because there was always plenty of spilt cement to prevent it.

You might have a reducing atmosphere much of the time in aWFO but when the excess fuel is burned off you have an oxidizing atmosphere.(actually the oxidizing atmosphere is hotter, so it is detrimental to overload the chamber)

Check out any nails left in your oven from being in bits of wood that you've burned. They rust pretty quickly.
    Last edited by david s; 11-15-2011, 05:52 AM. Reason: Boot=trunk
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Cob and adobe ovens aren't reinforced and don't usually have structural problems (water is cob's enemy and the usual downfall).

<insert shrugging smilie here>
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
      [/CENTER]

Comment

Michelevit,
        I am planing on building a oven like yours and I was wondering a few thing:
        What size is your base(slab)?
        What are the dim's of you oven, including opening.

I am trying to find the best location for my oven in my back yard.
        Thanks.

Comment

Been following this thread.

So Cal.

I have so far built a concrete ground base, glass block wall, poured another base for the oven and got 90 % of the sand mold made before winter hit.

I did build a cheapo enclosure around it thinking I could keep building, but I don't think so.

I am going to use a sand and clay lining. I contacted a local clay plant and they recommended a Blue Green clay for this application. They commented on, they are suprised at how much clay for oven is being ordered..

So I have all winter to dream about the first firing of the oven.

Comment

HI
            How's the oven going, I think it's been long enough to prove it's self .
            I am getting on with my build, base done etc and giving the oven the final thoughts now.
            Your design is still the current plan. I will go down the ss needles root if I can find them. Just interested to see if yours is going well?
            ROb

Comment

Stainless steel needles are known in the trade as "melt extract fibres"
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

HI and Thanks David.
                My local refractory supplier opens tomorow after their extended Christmas break. I hope to be able to get some there.
                I have the rest of the materials sorted and poured the top for my oven thisafternoon. Things are finally going.

Rob

Comment

this looks to be a easy build for a first timer....i have got a different plan but this also peaks my curiousity .....nice build....
                  sigpic

Mike

Comment

i like this shoe string oven ,only one change adding an expantion joint

Comment

mine will definately be on a shoestring.. since i cant afford the shoes.. ty for the posts..

Comment

Gudday
                        Finally found your thread. This post should bring it to the surface and my brothers mate is sure to enjoy the read ( he lives 10 hrs away)
                        I remember reading this thread long ago and its really great to know your ovens still up and working.
                        Regards dave
                        Measure twice
                        Cut once
                        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                        My Door
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

The oven has no cracks and performs beautifully.
                          I recommend this build for anyone looking to build a low cost simple oven. Many fires and pizza have been built in it with no signs of failure.

Not sure why so many people are doubting its construction.

Feel free to build what you like. I was just trying to share a design that worked for me.

The goal was shoestring budget. I met the goal.

Comment

It looks great, and I like how you sculpted the outer arch..
                            Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                            John Ruskin

Comment

it's become a tradition to cook pizzas for new years.
                              here's a quick video of the pizzas and ovens from the 2013/2014 party...
                              Oven still performing great and showing no signs of failure.

happy new years and hope the year is full of good pie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5Q8...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Originally posted by michelevit View Post
                                The oven has no cracks and performs beautifully.
                                I recommend this build for anyone looking to build a low cost simple oven. Many fires and pizza have been built in it with no signs of failure.

Not sure why so many people are doubting its construction.

Feel free to build what you like. I was just trying to share a design that worked for me.

The goal was shoestring budget. I met the goal.
                                People doubt because they are conditioned to think "refractory" is needed.
                                I've been looking at my company's refractory knowledge base. Alumino silicate refractories that are extremely robust at temperatures over 1830F, are not so robust at pizza oven temps unless first fired over 1830.
                                i.e high temp refractories are not necessarily so good at low temps. They need the high temps to cure.
                                The info discusses "low cement" bricks, which have some calcium aluminate cement in them, plus other binders that harden by different mechanisms, to allow for when the CAC passes through a weak zone from about 660 degrees up. Yep, CAC hardens by hydration, and although better than Portland, can still potentially breakdown at pizza oven temps.
                                Homebrew. arguably, has cement that hardens by hydration, lime that hardens by drying and carbonation, and clay that hardens by drying.
                                So in fact it is a pretty good "low temp" refractory.
                                You built it, it works and it has lasted.
                                I for one, feel more confident about the mortar in my oven just because you have taken the risk and demonstrated the durability.
                                Thank you very much for increasing the knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                                X