Cast Oven on Trailer Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cast Oven on Trailer Questions

Hi. I have been following Joeys cast oven build very close as I will be doing one soon. My question to all is do you think a solid oven is better than doing a segmented oven for a trailer? I would like to hear thoughts on the pros and cons of each. Unlike Joey who I believe is building it on a trailer so when he moves he can take it I will e using mine on the road (hopefully a lot). If there is no issue with the solid type poor that is what I would like to do (easier). I can seperate the top and bottom as Joey did. Please all thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Diane

Re: Cast Oven on Trailer Questions

Hi, I wish I could help more on the issue about segmented or not but not having had mine on the road for more than a trip around the block to test out the trailer I don't have much road miles to have an opinion yet.
    The one thing I would have done differently is gone with a larger capacity trailer. I think I underestimated the total weight of the finished oven by about 4oolbs

I can still change it out but for now it is meeting my needs.

when you get started post some pictures ok?

Comment

I made my dome in one solid piece and it is holding up ok. It is my supporting slab made from steel reinforced aerated concrete (Hebel) that has cracked. It doesn't matter that much because it sits in a steel cradle that holds it together. It is a juggling act to keep the weight down, yet still have the thing strong enough. Beware of speed bumps.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
        I made my dome in one solid piece and it is holding up ok. It is my supporting slab made from steel reinforced aerated concrete (Hebel) that has cracked. It doesn't matter that much because it sits in a steel cradle that holds it together. It is a juggling act to keep the weight down, yet still have the thing strong enough. Beware of speed bumps.
        do you have a build thread with pictures? would like to see other homebuilts.

Comment

I have posted some pics of my set up somewhere in Gallery "Finished Ovens", but here are some thumbnails.
          Last edited by david s; 07-17-2010, 04:22 PM.

Comment

I have a problem understanding how these forums work. I don't know what is the difference between a reply and a quick reply. I also have a problem following the arguments or threads; they often seem unresponsive at best.

In any case, I have seen an oven by a French manufacturer that was mounted on a trailer. I was going to import his ovens twenty some years ago but I didn't see a market and I did foresee dealing with the government bureaucrats. I don't know if the French guy is still in business so I am offering a web site that has a jolly example.
            Firewood oven Pizza Party - made in italy

Dieter Schmied

Comment

that is really cool!
              I'm still trying to figure out how you use it. do you roll it off your trailer onto a table of sorts? is that a second dome on the floor? how do you keep it frm rolling around whilst traveling?
              Love the flames.

Comment

I back the trailer up to the stand, get the trailer to the exact height using the jockey wheel, then roll the oven onto the trailer and secure it with chains and turnbuckles to the steel handles on the oven cradle. Yes that is another dome on the ground underneath.

Comment

I used to hire the oven out on the trailer, but now I can roll it off the trailer and onto the steel stand which I made to easily dismantle. That way I can use my trailer for other purposes. It works pretty well and I'm thinking of building a second one to avoid turning down customers if the oven is already booked, or hire out two ovens for a bigger party.

Comment

Would you mind me asking what your rates are? Do you sell dough or would that require you getting a food license? I think in PA as long as you don't prepare the food you don't need the food service license but if you prepare the food thats where it gets difficult.

Comment

Wouldn't making dough constitute food preparation. I don't have the food licence thing and only hire the oven privately. Generally people do their own cooking.Maybe when I give up the day job I might start cooking food for sale.

Comment

hI davids, my name is Toto, i am looking arround because I want to build a oven-trailer here in spain. After some investigation I decided I will use a one pice dome they sell here is called peruela. is the shape of the oven made out with cooked mud, I don?t know if my english is that good right now but I think you get the idea.. this I want to set on a trailer... the question is how? and then cover it with some aislant material... how did you hold together the dome with the oven`s floor? I guess it has to be solid or bumps will crack it.. i read you hold this platform (oven cradle?) to the trailer, but how do you hold the oven to the platform?
                        How big is your oven?
                        saludos
                        ToTo

Comment

My oven supporting slab sits inside the steel cradle which is made from galvanized 4 x50 mm steel angle. Its weight keeps it in place. Search for mobile ovens on the forum, I've made numerous replies about this subject and how I went about it. Remember that all of our ovens are a compromise because of the factors involved. Weight, size, cost, efficiency, time, fuel consumption, etc.
                          Dave

Comment

Ola Toto!

I need to understand why you are wanting to use masonry and or mud to build your oven, which you want to pull around on a trailer. Have you heard of the earthquake In Haiti?

Masonry and mud are very fragile materials. Perhaps you would explain the purpose in putting the oven on a trailer. Maybe another answer is possible.

It might be that a sole plate could be cast iron and the dome fitted to the cast iron sole plate. There are more than one way to skin a cat.

When you write the word "peruela" , did you actually mean pergola?

I just posted a web site that might have the answer. It is Forni a legna Pizza Party . They have an oven that they have mounted on a trailer. The oven cost only 520 Euros and it is in Italy. You could build a trailer to attach to your bicycle and then you could obtain it yourself. They will also ship it to you but then you would not be able to see Firenza.

You need to examine your business plan. Are you looking only for ambiance? Are you seeking a special taste? Do you live near Soria? If you do, I have a mission for you.

Ciao ,

Dieter

Comment

Does lowering the dome height hurt you in anyway except that you need to lower your entrance height? It will be purely a pizza oven and I am just trying to cut down on weight. If I can get away with a 14" to 15" dome with a 8.5 to 9.5 entrance that would be fine as long as I am not hurting the performance.

Also, if you go with a higher Alumina content does it take longer to heat your oven since the max temp is higher? Im just trying to see if their is a ratio of Alumina to heat up time.

Comment

Working...
                              X