42" or 48" internal that is the question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 42" or 48" internal that is the question

Hey ALL - I have another question - I have actually sent Dino an e-mail with it already.... Thanks Again Dino for posting your cool pics! Very helpful.

Our oven is 45 inch. It was going to be 42 inch but.... well.... honestly we are not sure what happened???? Anyway luckily we live an a small farm in New Zealand with heaps of wood!

We are building our landing arch at the moment.... Very difficult. Also we are having to cut the bricks ourselves to fit.

Is anyone able to help us with this question: does the height taper up as well as the width of the landing?

THANKS!

Alice and Greg

Comment

Ol I forgot to say our oven is:

45" internal diameter
      22.5" internal height
      20" opening width
      14" opening height
      16" vent landing length

We are tapering the vent landing so that at the entrance to the vent landing (not the oven) it is 24.8":

The question is should we also taper the height of the vent landing area so that it is 15.75".

We will be making sure there is a lip around the oven entrance to seal the door. But we think that we need to taper the curve at the top of the landing as well to make the arch.

Any ideas?

THANKS

Comment

I used Dino's floorplan as my template so here is a picture of what I did.. Yes "my" outer arch is higher than is the oven entry arch. The disadvantage of this is that you'll have more potentual for the smoke to find its way out the front of the oven. I don't find this to be a problem the 8 inch inside diameter 3 foot long flue pipe does a great job. I do force the fire starting by using a weed torch and once this is done I position the inner door under the outer arch. This seems to keep the smoke going where I want it to and still provides the air that the fire needs.

Oh and I almost forgot to add that my outer entry is 25 inches wide. Oh and the sweep of my arches are 90 degrees. This was choosen to facilitate the 45 degree brick cut at the top of the side walls.

Chris
        Last edited by SCChris; 04-05-2010, 12:09 PM. Reason: addl info

Comment

as for why your oven went for 42 to 45
          might have been the fact that 4.5 doesn't divide in to the 10'11 15/16 circumference of a 42 inch circle

better to use the full bricks then cut them much easier

Comment

I'm someone who doesn't understand what soldier courses are for at all. I know it's traditional, but it just seems to weaken the dome, to me. Ask yourself: what is more stable, a brick stood on end, lying on it's side, or laid flat?

A full brick soldier course, with an angle cut or mortared on top, gets a lot of side thrust from the much-more-flat dome on top. A more gradual curve will better transmit the forces of the shifting dome down to the support slab.
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I'm with dmun (even though I did a full soldier course-at and angle). If you are going to plan it out well and do the squished elipse dome, (not a perfect half circle) then you could avoid the soldier course and just use half bricks. But I kinda think that works best on the larger diameter ovens and in the smaller the diameter oven. In a smaller oven, maybe regular soldiers are good to get height at the sides for taller stuff you cook. Just something to think about olddude. All these ovens have turned out about perfect and you could do either since the soldiers are the "norm" but others have done with just the 1/2 bricks on the sides. I'll try and check out who's done that lately.

PS: ALICE, regarding your question a few posts earlier: look at your profile and I put a message there. I suggested you start a thread of your own (like "Alices wfo") in the 'Pompeii Oven Construction" area. Click on "thread starter" and you'll get on official thread to post pics and we can follow along. I've already got some pointers on your picture you posted but put it in your own thread and everyone can jump in and help. Can't wait to talk you there! This oven is going to be fun ...Dino
              "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
              http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
              http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

For me the full soldier course gave me room around the edges and somewhat simplified the opening into the dome. The connection of the hemisphere and the entry arch was one of the bears of the build. The arch cuts would have been much easier with a 14 inch saw. The complexity of these arch bricks is that I wanted them trimmed both sides to create the clipped pie shape that forms the arch and the 10 inch HF only goes 3.5 inches of the needed 4.5 inch deep cut.

Chris
                Last edited by SCChris; 04-08-2010, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X