What is the average total cost for the pompeii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the average total cost for the pompeii

I know that is a question with a lot of variables, including number and cost of firebricks, insulating, how much i do myself.

but assuming i do all of it myself, and use about 200 or so bricks, what is the expected cost range for an oven with a stucco cover?

i need a range to begin the discussions with my partner.

thanks!

Re: What is the average total cost for the pompeii

In this area it is about the cost of the equivalent kit from Forno Bravo, but the freight is killer. In-state like you are, I would say that is probably a competitive price compared to bought piecemeal locally, if not cheaper.

Comment

If you build a 42 inch I'd budget 300 bricks or so. This kinda depends on how you cut your bricks and how much insulation you use. I don't really remember where the $ came to. I know some around here have tight spreadsheets on the whole thing. I SWAGed the whole thing about 2K before I started as a reality check of the project.

Chris
      Last edited by SCChris; 05-27-2010, 07:54 PM.

Comment

The kit will give you a good start on the total cost but remember that this does not include your stand or the enclosure and that can easily add $1,000 to the project costs. I started to figure out the cost of my oven but in the end I decided that ivreallt did not want to know.
        I enjoy cooking with wine, sometimes I even put it in the food I'm cooking. --- Julia Child

http://picasaweb.google.com/mattluttropp

Comment

I started keeping tab of the cost but stopped somewhere around $2000, I think I have $2500-3000 in the total cost. I had some site work prior to starting, ie removing a tree, grinding the stump, and building a small retaining wall on the back side of my build.
          Eric

Comment

I think you can realistically build for around $1200, including the block stand and slabs.
            If my memory serves me, my total cost was right around $2000 for EVERYTHING, including and FB tool kit and several other assessories. Oven cost was around $1600, including slate to cover the stand, porcelain tile for the counter/cantilever area, and the mosaic tile for the dome.
            I shopped around for a couple of weeks, was able to get a few good deals, but pretty much paid "retail" for everyting...nothing free or recycled.
            This issue comes up quite frequently with new members, there is no right or wrong, and no average.....What you pay is entirely based on what, where, and how you acquire your materials. One member has built an entire oven with no cost - he bartered for all materials (and covered the entire dome in pennies he had collected over the years), several others have done it for under $1000. Others prefer no hassle, one stop shopping, or kits - where there are no surprises, but the total cost can rise considerably.

RT

Comment

For comparison, I'm completing my clay oven; total cost around $500, a lot of which was for the flue pipes. Because of the lighter weight, I was able to use a timber stand. Also used spare tiles, second-hand pavers, etc. Downside is, not sure how long it will last.

Cheers,
              Mick
              My Clay Oven build:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...dah-12821.html

Comment

I'm up to about $2800 so far, minus use-costs (various peels, rakes, brushes, etc.), but the figure quoted includes things that aren't directly the oven, such as granite tiles for the counter top and terracotta tiles and plants for decorating the exterior. My oven is fancier than a basic igloo and certainly cost more as a result.

Also note that my cost includes piles of tools since I had virtually nothing of a shop when I started.

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
                Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

thanks mick. i've actually already build a 27" floor clay/mud oven that works great (for less than 200 bucks, it was a challenge from my wife!), but i'm thinking i'd like something more permanent and that will help me learn more about masonry, cement, etc.

here's the link to a gallery of the mud oven:

Photos - The Oven | Facebook
                  Last edited by shimpiphany; 06-10-2010, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Nice one Mike; the bread looks fantastic!
                    My Clay Oven build:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...dah-12821.html

Comment

Most of my stuff was scrounged or donated, so my total cost for the whole outdoor kitchen is less than 400 bucks, not counting the grill unit and beer.

edit-But that isn't average, I pay almost cost for the stuff I did have to buy, like mortar and refractory cement.

Comment

Originally posted by shimpiphany View Post

here's the link to a gallery of the mud oven:

Mike Shimpock's Photos - The Oven | Facebook
                        That's the cutest little oven I've ever seen!

dave
                        Album: http://picasaweb.google.com/fornososo/Pizza#

Comment

After doing all the work myself (excluding acrylic stucco) my oven was about $1300.

Comment

I'm looking at a miximum of $1000 spent when my oven is completely done, including the stand. ...and that includes the cost of 3 cheap diamond blade purchases (the only tool related cost)

George
                            George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

I just purchased everything for my WFO except for stand and stuco from a refactory outlet in Sydney and it was a tad under $2000 Australian, this is based on keeping as true as possible to the plans provided through Forno Bravo. This is for a 43 inch, If I had gone for a 39 inch with standard flue and no thermometer it would have been $1350 (this is their standard DIY kit size), so as you say there are many variables but basically the bigger you go the more it costs and it increases exponentially.

Comment

Working...
                              X