Countryboy build in SC, US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Countryboy build in SC, US

Now I have to go back and look at a dozen different threads on here to get a mental image of what I am trying to accomplish tomorrow evening... I have the soldiers figured out, but the transition through the first arch to the second will take some forethought.

Another question for you guys out there... How much do you really use hearth space around the front/opening of the oven? With so much counter space around the oven I am debating whether or not I need a cantilever landing much bigger than the area between the flared door opening walls. Thoughts?

And, I think it is time to build an indispensable tool....

Thanks for the help and comments.

CB
    Last edited by countryboy; 07-06-2010, 06:59 PM.
    CB

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...-us-13256.html

Comment

Hi CB, sounds like good progress.

Another question for you guys out there... How much do you really use hearth space around the front/opening of the oven?
      My oven is close to my kitchen bench, so I really don't miss the big landing that I initially had in mind. I think that if you have large counters nearby, there's no need for a large landing.

Last weekend I did have an issue with a chicken getting too hot too quickly in there, so I pulled it out and put it on the oven roof - then forgot about it. Went to bed, suddenly had a panic about the chicken that had been left in the oven and must be burnt to a crisp, ran outside about midnight to find it on the oven roof still - slightly undercooked but at least not burnt
      My Clay Oven build:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...dah-12821.html

Comment

Originally posted by BackyardPermaculture View Post
        Hi CB, sounds like good progress.

Last weekend I did have an issue with a chicken getting too hot too quickly in there, so I pulled it out and put it on the oven roof - then forgot about it. Went to bed, suddenly had a panic about the chicken that had been left in the oven and must be burnt to a crisp, ran outside about midnight to find it on the oven roof still - slightly undercooked but at least not burnt
        Now that is funny! I hate suddenly sitting up in bed with a panic thought... Hard to get over the adrenalin rush and get back to bed.

CB
        CB

Comment

CB,

Looking good, your build is moving along nicely!

I too had to hunt around for my vermiculite and was jealous to find out you paid roughly half what I did here in southern cal ($27/bag I think) without cement.

There have been many builders here with reports of excellent results of homebrew mortar. A good explanation and the recipe can be found here:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/h...=sticky+mortar

It's nice to see that your able-bodied son has signed on as your assistant and partner for your build. He will no doubt take forward the building experiences and problem-solving approaches he learned from his Dad.

John

Comment

Thanks, John. That thread was informative. As far as my sons, (I have four) I am trying to do with them what my father did with me. He could build or fix anything. He had an amazing mechanical mind and I received some of his 'out of the box' thinking with maybe a little more craftsmanship. Now people tell me I can do anything, though I believe anyone who applies him/herself to reading and is willing to make a few mistakes to learn can do the same.

My eldest is now 14, and lately he has taken a much greater interest in working and learning. I've been very proud of his attention span and growing repertoire of skills. I promised he would be doing much of the cutting once we start on the rings. I figure I can set up a fixture to help him duplicate cuts and let him get a little experience while a younger brother handles the water and I can be mortaring.

On a related [soapbox]: I tell my boys all the time how important it is that they develop a work ethic. It drives me crazy to see the number of young people today who would rather watch the toob or play video games and brag about virtual 'accomplishments.' A few skills and a solid work ethic will go a LONG way in the next generation! [/soapbox]

Now to read up and solve this transition to arches... I can put the soldiers in this afternoon after I make my 'indispensable tool,' but need a clear picture of the inside arch before that so I can get it right the first time!

Off to read!

CB
            CB

Comment

Got a little more done this evening after work.

My second son and I cut all the soldier course brick before dinner, then after my eldest and I started trying to figure out and cut the transition bricks for the inner arch. The reveal adds an additional degree of difficulty to each brick, but we managed a template and the first brick on each side.

Next we mixed some mortar and started mortaring and placing the soldiers. Initially went fine, but noticed the mortar drying too fast.. About the same time several friends popped in to tour the greenhouse and aquaponic system... My son was distracted by a daughter that came with the guys and suddenly I had an audience, no help and a pile of mortar!

So, I remembered to dip the bricks to get them wet and that solved the quick dry issue. I tried to extol the virtues of a WFO to my new found audience while getting the soldiers mortared! One friend was kind enough to refill my mortar pallet each time it emptied saving me that trouble. The end result was okay, though I was glad to reach the bottom of the mortar and throw the tools in a bucket of water... The pressure was a bit much for my very limited bricklaying experience.

They left an hour later and it was too dark to do any more, but I was able to clean the course a little and guess I'll get an early start tomorrow to try to finish the soldier course before the heat sets in.

Pics later.

CB
              CB

Comment

Finished mortaring in the soldiers early this morning and then cut and test fit the brick for the second and third courses before having to take a quick shower and head to an appointment.

Late this afternoon I had time to play while waiting on a guy that I am helping build some bee hives. ( I have two home built top bar hives and we are building four more together.. two for him, two for me...) Anyway, I knew better than to mix mortar with him expected to show at any time, so I started to cut and dry fit the inner arch sides with a reveal.

Nothing except the soldiers in the pics are mortared. If you experienced/wiser guys see something amiss, please point it out. All recommendations welcome!

CB
                CB

Comment

Time for an update...

Over the last few days I've had time to mortar in the second and most of the third course while thinking through the inner and outer arches.

Also, over the weekend I picked up 20 brick from an abandoned chimney that was left after a 100+ year old building burned. The bricks are a purplish color, solid and appear to be hand made. All are very similar in size, but have slight twists and bends to them... LOTS of character!

Today was my day off and I started early with a trip to take the kids for some blood work. (Nothing serious.) Stopped by a stone dealer on the way home to look for a suitable piece for a landing and a nice looking key stone for the outer arch. Had a good chat with the guy that was fetching rocks. Young. Said his family owned the very nice establishment. I asked a dozen questions about the stones, made a selection at 22?/lbs and then he off and tells me 'No charge." SWEET!!

So, we jetted home and I started to work. After about five hours I have the inner arch done and all is tied in to the outer bases on either side. The outer arch is laid out, but I still have to make a form for it. Thursday will be my next work day.

I did finish a nice reveal for the inner arch and the opening flairs slightly to the antique brick for the front. Working with them was interesting!! Also, as I was wrapping up my inner arch an idea for a little detail hit me, so I did it... (See the pics)... Only after I was finished did it dawn on me that the inner arch may be blackened by soot. Oh well. I can enjoy it for now. Pretty!

Pics below. Please give comments.

Thanks for the ton of ideas and instruction on this site. Sure makes the actual work easier!

CB
                  CB

Comment

Have covered a little more ground, but need to get some pics up to 'prove' it..

I haven't exactly been doing this in the traditional order... Too excited about finding just the right bricks and stone for the front arch and I want to tie them in well with the chimney and first arch as I finish the dome... So, yesterday I finished the outer arch as well as the fourth course.

This afternoon I was so looking forward to getting more of the dome up, but it started pouring rain just as I pulled in the drive after work.

I pickled some okra (HOT and sweet!!) and ate dinner with the vain hope of it clearing... After dinner I wandered out and it looked like the storm had passed, so I piddled a while cleaning the brick at the front and removing the form for the outer arch. After a bit I was sure the storm had passed so I pulled out my saw and began cutting brick for the fifth course. Next I mixed a batch of mortar and about the time I had it the right consistency I heard thunder!!

I could see the horizon turning black so I got to work at the fastest pace I could manage, only I had the bricks very wet (have struggled with dryness as a problem in the previous courses... but then, it was hotter in the middle of the day, sun shining, etc...) and the fifth course is just starting to tip enough to make the bricks want to slide... Fun!! I was frantically placing and bracing bricks. I got 80% of the fifth course done when I ran out of mortar. That coincided with mammoth rain drops beginning to pelt me and my work space!

Noticing the saw and electric cord still out I quickly ran them in to the shop before washing my mortar pan and wetting the recently finished brickwork... Covered it in plastic and then headed for shelter from the down pour!!

I did notice as I worked this evening that my saw blade is about shot, so first thing tomorrow morning I will get a new one so I can (hopefully) lay the sixth and seventh rings tomorrow!!

Question: How much more complicated does the cutting get? I noticed in the fifth that a simple angle across the bricks was no longer going to work. Some bricks worked with a tapered angle across the brick, but some needed a second cut to fit well.. What is the best way to accomplish this? I know I've seen different ideas on how to do this, but have read way too many threads to remember which/where to find that info.

Pics tomorrow!!

Thanks,

CB
                    CB

Comment

Taking a break.. I'm whooped! Back hurts especially from bending. Can't figure out how to build and sit at the same time, so spending a lot of time bending over. I guess I need a small pail I can transfer mortar into and that might help!!

Finished the fifth and sixth rings with part of the seventh completed.

Messy work site, but here are a few pics. As previously stated, I have not done this in the exact order most do. The outer arch is complete and I know exactly how I will build the wall structure behind it. Just have to get my mind wrapped around the chimney before I tackle it. I think I can start on it after I finish the seventh or eighth course as I hope to angle it back very slightly to keep it from being too close to the stuccoed hardibacker that will be immediately behind the outer arch.

Pics in this post and the next... Took six at my stopping point.

CB
                      CB

Comment

two more pics...

CB
                        CB

Comment

CB - You are making great progress! Do you have any good shots showing the connection between the inner arch and the courses? I'm debating whether to build an inner arch or use angle iron on my oven.

Chris

Comment

Chris,

I'll try to remember to get a couple pics for you this evening. Frankly, I'm probably not the best example as I simply studied pics of other builds on this site to try to figure my way through it...

Thanks for the confidence, though!

CB
                            CB

Comment

Very creative with that outer arch design. Too cool!

George
                              George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Thanks, Chris. I appreciate the compliment. I think once I build the enclosure and get the stuccoed wall behind the arch it will look even better.. Won't be so cluttered around it. Had to build it 'backwards' (arch before enclosure) so I could a) get the creative part done so I could focus on the rest of the build and b) so I know how much room I have to work with for the flue and enclosure... (The reasoning worked for me, anyway.

Chris, the inner arch was not as challenging as I thought once I had my mind wrapped around it... Important to me was having an arch as those who admire the amateur work will 'marvel' that I could do that... LOL! Frankly, once you have a form (I used two pieces of 3/4 ply cut on a band saw with scrap 2x4 sandwiched in between) the rest gets fairly easy. I did not taper all bricks, and was certain I wanted a reveal to seat the door against...

I have a number of pics that follow that may give some clues. Notice in several I have an odd shaped brick. That brick was damaged and not used in the lower sides of the arch, but I did use it as a template to make the supporting bricks on both sides. Notice the whole bricks worked in to lap with the outer arch. They are butted to a partial brick that is just the top portion of the template brick... Hope that makes sense... Happy to answer questions and use Paint to try to put arrows to better explain what I mean...

More pics in the next couple posts..

CB
                                CB

Comment

Working...
                                X