X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millstone Man
    replied
    Re: Pizza Pavillion

Attached are more pics of the island under contstruction. The corbels were cut from left over Fir beams from the roof structure. The brick work required nearly every brick to be cut....luckily I got good practice while building the oven.

Leave a comment:

• Millstone Man
    replied

Well it's been a while since I posted and thought I would catch up and share a little. My 5 pallets of bricks arrived on 3/16/2010 and I officially laid my last brick/stone on 3/17/2011. I am declaring the major masonry part of the project complete! Thanks to Forno Bravo, James.

I still have to build the cabinets, install countertops, lay flagstone and so....it continues.

I never could have accomplished this without this forum and the plans from Forno Bravo. Thanks!

Pics include: bricks on arrival, completed oven, completed island

Leave a comment:

• Millstone Man
    replied

Thanks for the prompt response as I will sleep better tonight.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Nah, as long as the mortar had time to cure before freezing, it won't affect it. Industry standard is 40 degrees and rising, but that is pessimistic. It is only liquid water in the mortar that causes a problem and that is generally gone 4 or 5 hours into the process.

Leave a comment:

• Millstone Man
    replied

Well I had a good day of stone laying yesterday and now it's snowing! It was in the mid 50's when I was laying the stone and the temps did not drop below freezing until around noon today when the snow started. Should I worry about the mortar? Tom?

Jan 9 is bad in Texas! Last year it was 9 degrees and the pool heater went out and the pool froze. This year its snowing like crazy.

Leave a comment:

• Millstone Man
    replied

OK I think I got some pics to upload. The front view shows where I'm at now and the entry view shows the question I have about the void space between between my decorative arch and the chimney. The back view is for show.

Leave a comment:

• Millstone Man
    replied

I have a question about the void space between the veneer decorative arch and the actual chimney. It would seem if I fill the 1/2'' gap with mortar it might fall out with the repeated heating/cooling. Any suggestions?

I tried to upload a pic but having difficulty.

Leave a comment:

• Millstone Man
    replied

Been slowing making progress on the oven. Been doing some cooking as well and have been thoroughly impressed with my pizza making since I am a total newbie. Cooked a small one in 50 seconds with no burns.

I have attached some new pics showing the back door and insulation enclosure (filled with vermiculite). I left room behind the oven inside the enclosure to house my electrical panel and some av stuff. You can see the start of my stone work as well.

Leave a comment:

• ThermoJax
    replied

Scott, great job on your build. Really nice brick cuts. I didn't see any pics of the insulation over the dome. Will you be adding any photos of that insulation? Super job !!!

Tom

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Looks great, no need to hurry, because when you are done, you will just want to build another.

Leave a comment:

• Millstone Man
    replied

Our boys and one of the girlfriends came in for Thanksgiving and we had our first official pizza party Saturday night. Huge success! Lots of fun and good food. Still have a long way to go to finish the full kitchen but we are cooking.

I can't thank this forum enough for all the help and encouragement it gives.

Here are a few pics.

Leave a comment:

• Millstone Man
    replied

Well I've been out of pocket and out with a back injury for a while but have made some more slow progress. More importantly I have begun cooking!

Not sure what happened to my pics but appears the links have been broken?

Here are some update shots: First Fire, Back door, First pizza, First dome clearing, Veneer rocks arrive.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Looking great! I might be able to challenge you as the worlds slowest bricklayer, though.

Leave a comment:

• Millstone Man
    replied

I am quite possibly the world's slowest brick mason but really enjoy the "work". Here is the brick niche on the side of the oven where there will be a countertop.

The red bricks are to support the eventual stone veneer. No real reason to do brick other than I always wanted to lay bricks. Here is a nice very real cutaway view from the opposite side of the brick niche:

Leave a comment:

• Millstone Man
    replied

My non-oven activities have slowed my progress considerably but I keep plugging away. I suffered another set back when my metal fabricator that was making my transition piece between the brick chimney and metal flue pipe had to have emergency surgery delaying that critical piece by a few weeks. Imagine the nerve of some people letting surgery get in the way of my project....

The lack of chimney and rain delayed my curing process along with having to add a few more brick to bring it all together.

Here's the chimney transition installed:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X