charliefarley's UK build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• charliefarley's UK build

Thought I'd post up some pics of my build as I have learned so much from this forum and got some great tips and techniques from some of the users here.

Stand is slightly lower than usual so my oven floor will end up about elbow height for me.

Re: charliefarley's UK build

Floor and soldier course.

Comment

I'm using Kebwi's brick placement tool as my oven will have a 42" floor and 18" height.

Comment

Using his tool with a turnbuckle allowed me to work out how to cut my inner arch bricks so that the fourth course can sit directly on top.

Comment

This is as far as I've got at the moment.

I'm particularly pleased with the arch to dome transition, I hope it takes the weight of the rest of the dome!
          Last edited by charliefarley; 08-08-2010, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Wow. You should be proud of that transition!! One of the prettiest I've seen. Very nice.

Too bad it isn't visible after finishing the stove... That one is worth showing off! Guess you have to do something really nice for the outer arch/entryway for all to admire!
            CB

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...-us-13256.html

Comment

I think your arch will be plenty strong enough. Great lookin' build, mate!

Comment

I agree, nice solid arch transition!
                George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Got the next course up today.

Comment

Hey Charley,
                    Your build is looking great! Well done. May I ask where you got your high heat board insulation that you used under the floor of your oven? This is one thing I am having difficulty sourcing. Thanks for sharing your build with us.
                    joe

Comment

Hi Joe,

I got it from Liam at kilnlinings.co.uk

A few people over here have been using thermolite blocks as under floor insulation. If I was doing it again I'd be tempted to use the blocks as well as ceramic fibre board.

Comment

I want to build a gabled house construction over my oven. Most people on this forum use metal studs for framework, but these are quite difficult to get hold of in the UK. They obviously represent much less of a fire hazard compared to using a timber (lumber) framework, but with a plywood top or batons to nail the roof tiles on isn't this negated?

Got the fifth and sixth courses on - nearly there! UK bricks are 3" high so need less brick courses to complete the dome than US ones.

Comment

My god! You have "raised the bar" (or dome ) on the quality of brick work! Great looking build!

~Bob
                          My Oven Progress: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...uild-7155.html

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!

Comment

Most people on this forum use metal studs for framework, but these are quite difficult to get hold of in the UK.
                            I thought dimensional lumber was the exotic imported item in Europe. You could always build up your enclosure with 4" (100mm) thick concrete blocks, or those terra cotta structural tiles that we can't get here in the US.

As to your rafter question, a lot of folks use steel framing for the rafters, too. As to the difference, it's a little farther away from the heat source. Someone once pointed out that you could build the entire enclosure out of wood, the worst case scenerio in a free standing oven it that you'd have to rebuild it if it caught fire.

I have an entirely wooden superstructure on top of my oven, but I also have a four inch thick concrete slab between the oven and the wood, which was primarily built to support the two story masonry chimney.
                            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Very nice, Charley! That is some beautiful brickwork!!
                              CB

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...-us-13256.html

Comment

Working...
                              X