Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Napa WFO dome & hearth build questions

Originally posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
    ...Is that a small grape orchard you've planted? Mind if I ask how many vines and what kinds? Just curious.
    They are young Cab vines in the backyard, about 60 of them and I have another 75 or so Merlot in the front yard. They wont really be producing for about another four years or so. So until then I have to keep trying out all the local stuff!!

Also, that last post by you and the 4 picuture collage: how did you do that and upload it?...
    I use Photobucket and change the online image size to 400x400 as my photos were also getting too large (I figure everyone else isnt as interested in my stuff as I am!!)

Anyway I just copy the image link from the online photo storage (in my case Photobucket) and delete any spaces between the html tags (if that is the correct term) so it looks like this; [img] link to online photo #1 [/img][img] link to online photo #2 [/img]
    Thanks, Eric

My 42" dome build pics in Napa

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment

I like the look of the oven, Love the cover. Did you say enclosure After framing that great roof-over, are you still planning to enclose that pompeii? You have a great start to showcasing all that work and still have plenty of watershed for the igloo.
      I assume that you will be cutting that ridgepole to get your flue through the roof. Or ,do you have an offset in mind? I'll stay tuned .
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
        I like the look of the oven, Love the cover. Did you say enclosure After framing that great roof-over, are you still planning to enclose that pompeii? You have a great start to showcasing all that work and still have plenty of watershed for the igloo.
        Oh yeah! I am gonna cover up that dome! More surface area for my brick, rock and paver work! I did tone the plans down a little and dropped the idea of a built in clock face with custom unfinished brass hands, but I am keeping the multiple lights, task, area and LED rope mood lights along with the outdoor speakers hooked to a Sonos system, and a subwoofer underneath in the storage area. Subs like sturdy enclosures and I think the base is sturdy enough!

Plus I plan on dumping a whole bunch of pearlite in it for insulation.

Though it would look cool to leave it naked like that. And considering how much I work on it these days, (a year and two days in between WFO posts!) it will probably look like that for awhile.

I assume that you will be cutting that ridgepole to get your flue through the roof. Or ,do you have an offset in mind? I'll stay tuned .
        I have about five hours into that redwood ridge beam, between cutting it, ripping it, beveling it, routing it and drilling it for the hidden wires system. It is NOT getting cut again! You will have to just "stay tuned" to see my big secret! OK, I am slow and it's no big deal, I am just going to offset the chimney off to one side.

I need to get some flue liners ordered, -- What size have people been using? 6x6? 6x8? 8x8? 8x8 seems kind of big.

Eric.
        Thanks, Eric

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment

Eric,
          I love creativity. Your build to date shows that. I am sure that it will be great however you finish it. As for as flue liners go I think 8"X8" or at least 64 square inches cross section is what is recomended for a 42" oven. I think that 8" round would be less square inches cross section but, most believe that it is more efficient. That gets into Pie-R-Square ( way above my pay grade). As for as the off set, I have done off sets in that amount of space with brick, but not with liners. I will stay tuned to see how you tackle that. I don't want my ramblings to be taken out of context, though. I'm a redneck, but I am bilingual (my wife is a blonde) . My postings are all meant as either informative, compliments or humor. If I stay on this forum long enough, I think that I can learn Left-Coast good enough to be understood. Also, I do love the idea about the clock. I'm thinking about one of my own. It would not need any working parts, though. It is always FiveO'Clock Somewhere .
          Last edited by Gulf; 06-21-2012, 06:31 PM. Reason: spelling
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

When calculating the cross section of a flue, you consider them all to be round or oval, and do not count the corners. For an 8x8 OD flue, your actual cross section is closer to a 6-1/2" ID round flue. Flue tiles are normally measured OD for square and rectangular shapes, and ID for round flues (since they are considered pipe, I guess).

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
              ...For an 8x8 OD flue, your actual cross section is closer to a 6-1/2" ID round flue...

Soooo.... Would a 6" or 7" flue liner work?

I was thinking of either using;

1) A clay flue liner and leaving a gap between it and the "Money Shot" bricks, rock etc and filling the void with pearlcrete.
              2) A cheap metal stove pipe (6" diam. single wall) and using it in the same way, basically it would be a form left in place for the pearlite.

Any ideas? Comments? Winning lotto numbers?

Eric.
              Thanks, Eric

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment

I did A, but have seen it done like B, but the metal was removed and the perlcrete was parged with refractory.

Comment

Originally posted by EricU View Post

Soooo.... Would a 6" or 7" flue liner work?

I was thinking of either using;

2) A cheap metal stove pipe (6" diam. single wall) and using it in the same way, basically it would be a form left in place for the pearlite.

Any ideas? Comments? Winning lotto numbers?

Eric.
                  Be careful, if going for this idea. What will happen when the cheap stove pipe corrodes away? your perlite will pour down the flue if placed in dry. Or if you have mixed cement with it, then it will probably break down, crumble (portland cement is only good for 300 C, perlite OK below 1100 C) and pour down your flue. Your first solution would be a safer alternative.
                  Last edited by david s; 06-22-2012, 04:28 PM.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Soooo... I finally am getting around to (hopefully) finishing up the WFO portion of my backyard. Looking back, I think I started it around May 2010, been using it to cook chicken, pizzas, lamb, vegetables...etc, etc...blah, blah, blah.

Anyway, I am going to try to make the transition to the chimney tomorrow.

Going to pick up some 8x17 oval clay flue liners tomorrow, cut them and put them back together as an 8" circle, then wrap them with the "money shot" bricks/rocks.

Should I:
                    1. Fill the gap between the flue liner exterior and the inside of the brick chimney with Pearlcrete?
                    2. Leave the gap empty?
                    3. Wait another two years to start the chimney?
                    Thanks for any help! Eric
                    Thanks, Eric

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment

These photos may help show my situation.

Thanks for any help! Eric
                      Thanks, Eric

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment

I got a little farther yesterday. I didnt have time today as I was acid staining my driveway and front walk (why not?)

The two side and rear panel pieces are complete, the rough wiring is in and I got the flue transition pieces kind of figured out.

I was able to get the WFO flue transition pieces to the point that my brick laying is now flat and on the same plane, so I don't have to split bricks, just cut them to size. Got a couple of decent size rocks mounted and supported.

I called one of my local mason's supply yards in town and asked about 8" diameter round clay flue liner. They said they could order it and all they had was some 8x17s, I decided to get them and modify them. There is a pic below, they came out better than I had expected.

I am moving the flue liner riser to the right to clear my ridge beam with a series of angled cut bricks, the angles are more than degrees which is probably more than fuild dynamics would like but;
                        1. I needed to get it moved over quickly without losing too much height
                        2. It has been a long time since I was in college and had fluid dynamics and we will just see how it draws!

[IMG][/IMG]
                        Thanks, Eric

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment

Eric,

Like the mix use of materials and the outside the box organic look to the panels.
                          Russell
                          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Looks like you've got some cat5, coax, fiber, and about 220volt panel wired into that thing!

I like the finish though. And that is quite a chimney design. 8" interior on 42" should draw well.
                            My build progress
                            My WFO Journal on Facebook
                            My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

[QUOTE=deejayoh;140361]Looks like you've got some cat5, coax, fiber, and about 220volt panel wired into that thing!...QUOTE]

Just a 120V dedicated outdoor circuit and a bunch of switch legs for a lot of different lamps hanging off the thing. I am tired of asking my kids "Where's my flashlight..." as it gets dark early here in Northern California during our brutal winters!! I also wired the upper eaves for speaker wires to connect to a Sonos system.

I really want to get it finished up now that I am working on it again and will not fire up the WFO again until I at least get the chimney stack proud of the rafters. So until then, we are eating chicken off the BBQ, and no pizzas!! (talk about roughing it)

Eric.
                              Thanks, Eric

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment

Eric -

You may be past this already - but I originally tried a 6" clay flue liner and ended up removing it and going with a 9x13 liner. It really draws nicely.

To encase the chimney flue - I wrapped the full length with leftover insulating blanket and made a cement-board sheath that ended up as the outside of the chimney. Just did a stucco finish. Dozens of oven firings and it draws perfectly fine and the outside of the chimney (stucco) doesn't get hot at all.

Nice looking build - by the way.

Comment

Working...
                                X