Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Considering a Pompeii, would the Cucina stand work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Considering a Pompeii, would the Cucina stand work?

Hmmmm... tell us how you really feel! I'm willing to look at options of saving money. Even with your statements I don't think it's necessary for the extra concrete. If 4" is good enough to hold a car, it certainly is good enough for an oven. I will agree that rebar needs to be present... yet there can be a certain point where there is too much rebar and not enough concrete.
    My oven (for now):
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

My house is on a 4" slab, as I said, it's customary here. A sinkhole would be an entirely different problem :-)

Comment

If you want to see what 4" of reinforced concrete that holds up cars on bad soil looks like after 5 years, come on over. It's a lot like my 4" of reinforced concrete on bad soil that's holding up patio furniture which is to say intact but only thanks to rebar.
        And if you're curious to see the amazing potential of frost heave, come on over about January.
        Granted this is MN, not FL, but given the overall cost and time involved in a WFO build, $50 is a drop in the bucket. Of course that's just my opinion.

Relative to the model and make of the car of course, IIRC a completed oven and average enclosure equals about 2x the psf load of a vehicle.

There are plenty of places to save a few bucks on a build. A foundation wouldn't be my first choice.

Comment

Your concern seems well founded, sorry to hear that about your patio!

Comment

Originally posted by splatgirl View Post
            If you want to see what 4" of reinforced concrete that holds up cars on bad soil looks like after 5 years, come on over. It's a lot like my 4" of reinforced concrete on bad soil that's holding up patio furniture which is to say intact but only thanks to rebar.
            Minnesota is hard on everything, however it seems you have isolated the problem to bad soil, not the concrete. So, it would seem your statement would be: make sure the base (what the concrete sits on) is solid. That is indeed good info for everyone.
            My oven (for now):
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

Working...
            X