My 32" oven build has begun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My 32" oven build has begun

Just caught up with this thread...Nice job!!! But I think my favorite part is the plaques with your name and hand print in the base. That is something I would do.

Keep up the good work

Comment

The plaques were a bit of fun and so far they have survived well.

Comment

It's been a slow week and not as much done as I'ld like.
        Here are pics of the arch progress so far.
        You can see I've left a gap between the inner and outer arch this will be filled either with vermiculite, insulation blanket or silica board.
        I've gone for a nicer looking arch shape for the outer arch compared to the inner arch which gives extra height and I think looks nicer.
        All I have to do now work on the thin brick outer arch which will follow the shape of this arch.
        After that I'll work on the chimney/flue and hopefully not find it to difficult.

Comment

Oscar, looking really good. Regarding the material for the insulation gap, I would suggest you don't use blanket because loose fibres could escape easily. I think a 5:1 vermicrete is a better solution as it is somewhat flexible and and safe.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks David

I was leaning towards vermiculite as well but the stuff I have is very coarse so not sure if I can tightly pack it into a thin gap. I might try crumbling it to smaller pieces but I'ld only go the other options if need be..

Comment

Hi Doug, thanks for the nice words. I am proud of what I've done up to this stage as I'm not the most gifted when it comes to building things.
              If I can finish it off to a nice visual standard I'll be rapt my wife especially. She was worried I'ld leave an eyesore in the yard but as I go along and the oven takes shape she's gaining confidence I can do this.
              Now the chimney does have me thinking a few things as the outer and inner arch are different heights it's not going to be easy building it. Insulation is another area I'm not sure how I will tackle and last thing that concerns me is whether it'll draw properly due to the large landing/opening area. I have a standard 6 inch stainless steel flue which is 900mm high but I don't think this is now going to be adequate. I might just have to bite the bullet and go 8 inch.
              I'm going to have to get a move on as I really want to get the insulation done while we still have a few weeks of nice weather.

Comment

Originally posted by OscarA View Post
                You can see I've left a gap between the inner and outer arch this will be filled either with vermiculite, insulation blanket or silica board.
                You can buy ceramic rope, its used as a gasket to seal the doors on wood heaters.
                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

This stuff Brickie?

Heat resistant fire rope/stove rope/glass fibre seal (eBay item 380323522343 end time 10-Apr-11 20:28:26 AEST) : Home Garden

Comment

Yep.
                    You can buy it from any wood heater outlet.

Google

My Build.

Books.

Comment

[QUOTE=OscarA;109737]concerns me is whether it'll draw properly due to the large landing/opening area. I have a standard 6 inch stainless steel flue which is 900mm high but I don't think this is now going to be adequate. I might just have to bite the bullet and go 8 inch.

Dear OscarA

Checked your photos out..... and it looks like you have left an open space in top of your arch to serve as as smoke chamber right? Then the smoke should linger in that till it exits up the chimney and not out into your face.
                      Its an advantage to have a large entrance way...too deap or too narrow makes it hard to tend to the oven.
                      By the way like the idea of the insulation break between the oven and entrance. I know now it was brickie in oz's idea so good research I'm sticking that in the ideas book for the next oven I get to build.

Regards
                      Dave
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once
                      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                      My Door
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

I'd look at something like this: High Temperature, Heat & Flame Resistant Wire Jacketed Fiberglass Kiln Door Seal Gasket

Comment

This is the stuff that is readily available in Melbourne, good to 1000c, more than enough for a WFO.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                            Dear OscarA

Checked your photos out..... and it looks like you have left an open space in top of your arch to serve as as smoke chamber right? Then the smoke should linger in that till it exits up the chimney and not out into your face.
                            Its an advantage to have a large entrance way...too deap or too narrow makes it hard to tend to the oven.
                            By the way like the idea of the insulation break between the oven and entrance. I know now it was brickie in oz's idea so good research I'm sticking that in the ideas book for the next oven I get to build.

Regards
                            Dave
                            Hi Dave, you are right about the smoke chamber most builds seem to have it as it does help with the smoke going out the chimney not the front.
                            I got the space between arch idea from this forum but can't remember who did it. I'm not sure if it'll make a big difference or not but as it was easy enough to do I figured why not play it safe.
                            As for the large entrance I think it gives the oven a nicer look and makes it easier to use the oven.

Originally posted by Cheesesteak View Post
                            That is a great product but I'm not sure it'll suit my needs but thanks for sharing.

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                            This is the stuff that is readily available in Melbourne, good to 1000c, more than enough for a WFO.
                            I do like the rope idea but I think I'll go with the vermiculite instead as I think it'll have a nicer finish and still be effective.
                            I do like the rope and might grab some to put on a door if the door doesn't sit flush against the oven.

Comment

I think I'll go with the vermiculite instead as I think it'll have a nicer finish.
                              Vermiculite concrete generally has a crumbly exterior. If you can float it smooth, you may have too much cement in it.
                              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
                                Vermiculite concrete generally has a crumbly exterior. If you can float it smooth, you may have too much cement in it.
                                I had thought about that and was thinking of filling the gaps with vermiculite then sealing it in with home brew mortar. I realise it might crack but I'll see how I go.

Here's a pic of where I'm at now with the outer arch. It's taken me 2 days (2hrs a day) to do this much so it's a slow process but that's ok.

Comment

Working...
                                X