My 32" oven build has begun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My 32" oven build has begun

Getting thin bricks to look good is actually harder than full sized bricks, youve done well.
    Have an elephant stamp.

The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Thanks for the stamp brickie.

Comment

Oscar,
        Your decorative outer arch bricks look very much the same in size, Click image for larger version

Name:	PA110233.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	284685

Click image for larger version

Name:	PA100219.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	284684as those used by the Ancient Romans. Here are some pics of similar brick arches in Pompeii we visited last year. Because the bricks are thin like yours they didn't bother to taper them at all. We saw lots of these bricks used in combination with all kinds of other stone.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
          Vermiculite concrete generally has a crumbly exterior. If you can float it smooth, you may have too much cement in it.
          I use a 5;1 vermicrete mix which seems to work ok, enough cement in it to hold the vermiculite together, but still has some flexibility.

Comment

Check the K values (R values are a reciprocal of these) of varying strengths of vermiculite concrete.
            Vermiculite Insulating Concrete--The Schundler Company

I would consider using lime instead of cement as a binder because of its elastic properties, but it"s way harder on the skin of your hands.
            Last edited by david s; 03-21-2011, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the pics David, I'm glad I went with the skinny bricks. I still have some large mortar gaps but not as large as they would have been had I used standard size untapered bricks.
              Here are some pics of todays progress and it looks like I will have a large gap in the middle so I'll have to address that by slightly separating the bricks ealier so when they meet the gap is no longer there.

Comment

Dear OscarA
                Why not find a rock or something different to fit a space at the top so you have a sort of Key stone like you see on the old bridge arches

Just a thought

Regards Dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once
                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                My Door
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Now you have me thinking Dave. I have some nice pieces of granite that I could cut to fit.
                  My head hurts

Comment

Thank god you can buy acid.....

My Build.

Books.

Comment

You could use a full size brick for the key stone to make it pop. Just another thought.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                        Thank god you can buy acid.....
                        Are you trying to tell me something what can you expect from someone who takes 3 days to do an arch
                        I've now finished the arch how long do I wait till I can acid wash it?

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                        You could use a full size brick for the key stone to make it pop. Just another thought.

Mike
                        Thanks Mike, I thought about using some granite then I grabbed a nice piece of white quartz rock I had in the garden. After roughly shaping it to fit it just didn't looking right even from a distance. In the end I pressed along with the bricks and by the time I got to the middle the gap was a non issue.
                        I'll clean it up (water only for now) then take a pic.

Comment

Originally posted by OscarA View Post
                          Are you trying to tell me something what can you expect from someone who takes 3 days to do an arch
                          I've now finished the arch how long do I wait till I can acid wash it?
                          Well done for doing the arch.
                          Me being the bull at the gate wash with a weak solution the next day to check everything worked out ok, its a lot easier to undo wrong work the next day compared to next week.

But, you should wait 1 week before washing, or so they say..

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Here is a pic of the almost finished arch, just need to finish the landing, then clean it all.

I'm focusing today on the chimney area as this has been something doing my mind in due to the height difference between arches and this is what I have come up with. The inner arch had a small ledge which I have widen slightly. I'm going to put small pavers along side it and cut them to shape. This will give me a level surface between both arches. I've decided not to insulate that area as I don't think the heat loss will be great.

Comment

you can see how the arches are level now, well will be when I mortar those pavers in.

You can see from this angle (my decking/alfresco) that the pavers on the ends will need to be trimmed.

This is two pieces or hebel blocks I mortared together last night. I wanted to see how well it held and after 18hrs it was a firm grip but I was able to separate them without a problem so not sure how that would have compared to normal bricks.

Comment

Nice arch very Italian. keep it up.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X