X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: gt40's Pompeii Oven 42" build log

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    Nice start.
    If it were me Id add some diagonal top to bottom bracing, these things are heavy and Id hate to see it rack sideways and fall.
    Added some diagonal braces after realizing how much weight we will have after this is built and the 6" thick foundation I have floating on top of the structure. It used over 30 90lb bags of concrete + the bricks and mortar- well, you can never have it too strong.

The wife and I were both up on the slab when we were laying bricks and could get it to move a hair. With the diagonals, it is solid like stone. Figured being in California earthquake country it was better to be safe than sorry.
    49" Recirculating LOW DOME Pompei build with welded stand:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/g...log-15903.html

Comment

Update:

I managed to finish welding the supports for the steel stand. Now it is solid like stone thanks to the angle additions. Thanks for the suggestions to add the diagonal bracing. It made an amazing difference.

We managed to get the floor done and leveled with clay/sand mix and put in the first row of soldiers. Here are a few pics:

Top view:

where the door will be:

another shot of where the door transitions:

Comment

Good to see an interesting variation to the standard build. Looks like a great start to the actual oven too.

I like the position of the oven on the corner of the existing deck. I also like the no-thumbnail photos - keep 'em coming.
        Sharkey.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

My Build - Between a rock and a hard place

Comment

How are you going to do the floor of the entry? You cut a very nice round shape in the front, are you going to use a different material for the front floor? Or are you going to match that curve with more brick. Most people just continue the pattern out to the outer edge. That way might be easier than cutting another perfect round shape to match the floor.

- Nice work though keep it up.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
            How are you going to do the floor of the entry? You cut a very nice round shape in the front, are you going to use a different material for the front floor? Or are you going to match that curve with more brick. Most people just continue the pattern out to the outer edge. That way might be easier than cutting another perfect round shape to match the floor.

- Nice work though keep it up.

Mike
            I am thinking about making a landing of soapstone that will merge perfectly with the round floor. I still have ceramic fiber board so I will insulate it all the way to the end. I am still trying to find a decent piece to cut for it.

Update

Worked on the arch and transition cuts. I found with my 18" x 12" high opening, I needed to adjust the height to match the angles. I had to cut up a whole row of these little 1/4 brick height pieces. Put an angled brick to start the dome. Dome should be 18" high.

I also dry fit the bricks for the arch. I will cut the centers out of the middle of the arch for an 18" x 4" flue opening.

Here are some pics:

dry fitting the arch:

transition is a work in progress:

Overview shot:

I sawed a lot of bricks and I have to say, going up and down on the high stand a hundred times will get you

Comment

Nice progress, you should put something down to protect your floor. It is amazing how dirty everything gets as you get more vertical.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by gt40 View Post
                and I have to say, going up and down on the high stand a hundred times will get you
                Ppl pay good money to got to the gym to do that..
                Last edited by brickie in oz; 06-01-2011, 01:03 PM.
                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I would strongly recommend changing how you are completing the entry arch. the bricks should be turned on edge and all the bricks at the arch should be cut to be about the same size. You wont get the strength out of that arch that you'll want the way the bricks are being completed.

I attached an image illustrating what I'm trying to say.

Comment

Update:

finished 2 full courses. The mini course to set height as this is a LOW dome oven and the angle setting course which sets the angle of the dome. It is necessary as there is an abupt change compared to high dome. It will be almost entirely hidden as the course on top will be perfectly angled and only 1/8" or so will show.

I also re engineered the arch for the opening. thanks out to Nic above btw.

Here are some pics:

Shot of the angle setting course with the mini course below:

Overview shot. FYI, the cooking surface ended up a full 49"/1245mm diameter. I also purchased another 100 firebricks for a total of 300.

close up of where the arch will go for the opening. This is what I tackle tomorrow:

Comment

You're going to be able to roast a stuffed camel in that thing. It looks really good so far.

Comment

Great-looking start to the dome, GT. Curious, what kind of firebricks did you get? Given your low-dome design, will you be buttressing your soldiers?

John

Comment

The way you have bagged the top of the angle course will make it more difficult for the next bed joint to adhere to the bricks below, especially if the bagging becomes dry and powdery.
                          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I am learnings as I go along.

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia
                            Great-looking start to the dome, GT. Curious, what kind of firebricks did you get? Given your low-dome design, will you be buttressing your soldiers?

John
                            The bricks are medium duty firebricks from Pacific Clay in California. I got them from a place called West LA Building materials. I am not sure if I understand "buttressing your soldiers". If you have an example I would love to see it.

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                            The way you have bagged the top of the angle course will make it more difficult for the next bed joint to adhere to the bricks below, especially if the bagging becomes dry and powdery.
                            I have been running a wet rag which I periodically dip in water to keep the bottom course wet + soaking each new brick just before I put it on. I thought the little mortar left would level a few spots out but I guess when I stick the new bricks it is the same thing. Hopefully it will work

Comment

There has been much discussion here on the outward thrust created when employing full soldiers in low domes. This site discusses the stability notions of vaulted structures:

Auroville Earth Institute, training courses, workshops on Vaults, Arches, Domes(VAD), stabilized rammed earth walls, compressed earth blocks, vaulted structures, compressed stabilised earth blocks, rammed earth.

Here's a thread that discusses both buttressing and brick bonding:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ect-13371.html

I thought I recognized your Pacific Clay bricks. I bought the same kind only there were seconds.

John

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
                                There has been much discussion here on the outward thrust created when employing full soldiers in low domes. This site discusses the stability notions of vaulted structures:

Auroville Earth Institute, training courses, workshops on Vaults, Arches, Domes(VAD), stabilized rammed earth walls, compressed earth blocks, vaulted structures, compressed stabilised earth blocks, rammed earth.

Here's a thread that discusses both buttressing and brick bonding:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ect-13371.html

I thought I recognized your Pacific Clay bricks. I bought the same kind only there were seconds.

John
                                I thought I would make a steel band with a turnbuckle and wrap it around the bottom course of bricks.

On another note, I made my first arch. I actually made 2 before I settled on this one. I have never made a brick arch before and it was a bit interesting. I had hoped to make the inside one too but I need another day. It is a little rough but should be functional with small mortar joints at least.

Here are a few pics:

Thanks for looking

Comment

Working...
                                X