Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alex?s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia

Hi Folks

I need to buy some besa blocks for a retaining wall and was thinking od using 390*140*190 for the WFO base, they come 144 on a pallet.

I remember reading on the forum that using a 150mm block was okay but cannot locate it now. I was going to run a centre wall as well.

Can I get away with not using 200mm deep blocks?
    Fail to Prepare...Prepare to Fail!

Comment

Dear Bert
      Yep why not use the 150mm block especially if you are planning a center wall. I have a center 1/2 block pillar (just in case). Please don't forget to core fill at least every secound Hole in the block as well for strenght . Again over kill... I filled every secound one first then ran a row of bricks around the top to contain my slab, Ran the steel down the remaining holes which were then core filled as I poured the slab. That puppy an't going to fall down in my lifetime
      Click image for larger version

Name:	formwork for floor.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	286311
      On Insulation...your brick is the mass in the oven that stores the heat from the fire the insulation goes on the other side of this to stop this heat from leaking away. If you have read the Jeavens book on ovens it probable talks about ovens which are a lot larger than a backyard oven and have a fire full time to keep the heat in the large thermal mass. If you dont insulate under the hearth bricks your going to be using a lot of wood to heat up the slab underneath and not your tucker in the oven

Regards Dave
      Click image for larger version

Name:	hearth insulation.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	286312
      Last edited by cobblerdave; 07-01-2011, 06:36 PM.
      Measure twice
      Cut once
      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
      My Door
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

"I have sourced a possible brick to use as an alternate to firebricks, given they are so expensive here in OZ ($4+). They are a pressed clay that come in an assortment of colours, they are fired to between 1200 and 1500 degrees Celsius with no Portland cement or gravel."

Let's see those firebrick Bert. I used pressed red-clay brick in my oven and yours sound like a lot better quality than mine. Red-clay bricks work just fine but are softer than the standard firebrick and will crack...I can attest to that. But I actually like the feel of them and look of them. They are kinda rounded on the edges and uneven now and looks and feels more old-world. Like I was cooking in 1,000 year-old oven....if you like that sort of thing.

Yours are fired at a much higher temperature than mine, I think mine were sun baked. But a year later they are doing just fine. I found one cracked brick and they are easily replaced.
        Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Hello Folks

It?s been a while as I got side tracked?We were initially going to build a swimming pool then decided against it (enter post) and then changed our minds again.

After a false alarm in January with another pool builder. We now have a DA submitted to council, as we are a sloping block and unable to do complying development. 2 months now and counting, so hopefully not much longer.

WFO still very much on the cards and will be attached to a cabana and outdoor kitchen area. Since my last post I have:

? Built an engineered block (Alan Block) wall with 6 + tonne of crusher dust behind it;
          ? Removed approximately 8-9 cubic metres of sandstone and rubble;
          ? Moved 8+ tonnes of pavers and wall up a steep driveway (9 pallets);
          ? Built a dry stone wall;
          ? Moved ~ 15 tonnes of soil;
          ? Transplanted numerous large shubs;
          ? Gained 8 kilos from re-hydrating with beer.

I will post some updated pictures of ground zero - as I currently call it.

Therefore this post has now turned into a complete backyard re-construction or deconstruction as its currently stands.

I?ll get there?deep breath!

Comment

Bert - sounds about right. I wanted to put a pool table in a room we never used. Ripped out trees, sidewalks, and 45 grand later - I get to shoot a 25 cent game. Don't lose focus on the oven - it's bigger than the rest
            Check out my pictures here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Gudday Bert
              Good to here you still out there with pizza ovens on your mind....mind you you have had a busy time....

Regards Dave
              Measure twice
              Cut once
              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
              My Door
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Hi Folks

Well after 2 + years and getting side tracked by building a pool and undertaking some rather intense hard landscaping I will soon be in a position to commence the WFO block work. The pool has taken the position of the existing WFO and the wife got her way with the pool?so now it?s my turn.

I will be utilising a solid existing iron rock as a foundation and like the other walls I have built with my wife they will have 12mm starter bars drilled down 400mm with 200mm center?s.

We have had some good practice with the block work (we?ve laid about 230 bricks so far) and my wife has laid a good portion of them. Im lucky to have her support with this monster.

The side walls will also double as a retaining wall. The wall will be waterproofed with 300mm of blue metal 10mm and 100mm ag pipe, geotech etc. we have had a lot of rain and it?s given us the ability to see where the water comes from and where it goes to. Although wicking is a concern I believe if I can spend the time waterproofing it will be ok!

All materials so far have been carried up a steep driveway with buckets?so needless to say we are quite fatigued but with the cooler weather upon us I should be able to gain some momentum. We have been doing 12 hours days with the walls and pool and the weather has been against us since the beginning 2 years ago.

Once started I hope to have the foundations and wall done fairly quickly?the WFO on the other hand may be another story. This project has sucked up all of our money so we need to complete projects as we can afford them.

Here are some pictures showing the cabana and WFO area.

Comment

Any body know how to place the pictures in your post instead of thumbnails?

Don't know about the rest but I prefer to see the pictures in the content of the post.

Cheers Bert

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post

Don't know about the rest but I prefer to see the pictures in the content of the post.

Cheers Bert
                    After you attach the pictures, click the paperclip icon again. You'll see each of the files you uploaded there. If you click the file name, it will insert the picture into the text of the post wherever your cursor is.
                    My build progress
                    My WFO Journal on Facebook
                    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Cheers Deejayoh! Will give it a go next time!

Comment

Cheers Bert
                        I use photobucket. As long as you size your pics, when you snap them or before you post them to photobucket, you can use their direct link.
                        Enter that link to the FB's Insert image icon. Note: If the pics are to large, they will run off of the page.
                        Hope this helps .
                        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thankd Gulf!

Would it work with a link from picasa?

Comment

Thankd Gulf!

Would it work with a link from picasa?
                            I am sure that it would. You just need to size them before hand. Or use Picassa's eiting software. Picassa uses flickr (I think) for photo editing. I was just too slow in learning this step .
                            Last edited by Gulf; 03-17-2013, 06:05 PM.
                            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Hi Bert,

I used Picassa for my photo album. Looking forward to seeing you build.
                              Russell
                              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thankyou Doug and Russell. I just hope the body holds up...moved many tonnes of stuff so far. The finished result should be worth it though! had a quite weekend watching the F1 in Melbourne. With Daylight saving on the way out there goes the evenings!! Ive taken lots of photos so will update my picasa album for those interested in the greater project.

Comment

Working...
                                X