Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulation Question On Mobile pompei.

Hello All
    Building a mobile 48" Brick Pompei. Finishing up the trailer now and starting on the oven build this week. I have a piece of 3/8" steel plate that the oven will be sitting on top of. Question: Will the 2" FB Fire Board be adequate for the under Hearth Insulation. I have the FB Pompei oven plans but my oven being mobile is a little different. ( I am bending a piece of 5"x 3/16 Flat Bar into a circle and then tack welding it onto the 3/8" steel plate base. The FB board will sit in this circle . I will then build the oven inside the steel flat bar circle. I could pour a vemiculite slab first but then I would have to extend the Flatbar taller to retain the oven.

Any thoughts on just using the FB Fire Board and 3/8" steel?
    I also purchased 3 FB blankets to insulate the remainder of the oven.

I was also thinking of using a single piece of soapstone for the hearth to help retain the inside temp. I was thinking the soapstone would retain Hearth heat better than a med grade firebrick hearth-but I am not sure??

Jim

Re: Insulation Question On Mobile pompei.

Summer,

I may look into building a mobile oven for here in MN if my backyard project takes wings. I am excited to see how your oven works out. I do not have any input on your questions as I still struggle with my own in place design. Foundation was poured today and it went well. Now waiting to be able to set some block after the 4th.

Pictures are of dirt I removed to make an area for the oven, my 5 minute bull float made from a 2x6 -- lumber crib separator, and a pieces of 1x2 lath held together with screws. (it worked great), a visiting drangon fly and the poured foundation with rebar inserted.
    Last edited by mrchipster; 06-28-2011, 08:30 PM.
    Chip

Comment

That would be 48" outside diameter. Probably will end up being a true 42" Brick Oven .

I am trying to figure out how much heat will be transfered to the 3/8" steel plate base below the FB Fire Board with just 1 layer of FB Board. I coated the 3/8 " plate metal with 600 degree ceramic paint. I am also storing catering supplies below the oven in the trailer so this heat is also a concern. I have not received the 3 pieces of Fire Board or ceramic blankets yet its on the way . Maybe I could double up on the FB board and make it 4"?
      My Flat bar circle that retains the oven is only 5" tall so that only leaves me with a 1" retaining ring on the oven itself.

Comment

Hey Guys.

How did the build go?

Does anyone have any ideas on structural strengthening for the dome, if its being moved, i cant imagine it liking being moved around a lot.

Has anyone strengthened any of their domes which are made to be portable?

Comment

Originally posted by newaqua View Post
          Hey Guys.

How did the build go?

Does anyone have any ideas on structural strengthening for the dome, if its being moved, i cant imagine it liking being moved around a lot.

Has anyone strengthened any of their domes which are made to be portable?
          I have not built a portable yet but still under consideration. the current oven is working well and making pizza, bread and other delights.

Chip
          Chip

Comment

Well my mobile is complete. Getting ready to do the first fire. It has been a long 1.5 year process but I also built : a vintage chevy gas station truck tow vehicle and a small commercial kitchen /prep area in my house etc. etc along the way. (Plus I work a full time day job) Will the brick Dome oven hold up over time??? We will see? Here is the Key for any Mobile Wood fired oven. Brick or Concrete Refract.... You MUST USE Torsion Bar AXLES..... on your trailer. They must be appropriate sized to your oven weight. These axles/ wheels are fully independent from each other unlike leaf springs. Additional Air Bag suspension below the oven is even better. If you have fabricating skills a welder and an outlet to purchase steel and trailer parts along with the willingness to learn, Anything is possible!! I had a vision and a passion for pizza and the help from you all on these forums for my Pompei and thats it.

I think Joeseph's partner in Colorado Builds a nice oven-the starter oven is around $10k the really nice tandem axle oven is $25k- These take lots of time to build. I have hundreds of hours of time invested in my build. It is no easy task, but it can be done.

Here is a link to a mobile oven that is truly a Piece of Art: The Ultimate Food Truck: A Pizza Joint On Wheels | Co.Design: business + innovation + design

This truck creates crowds everywhere it sets up. the shipping container rides on 4 semi airbags rated at 10k lbs each
            the guy spent 180k on having it built.

The oven is Brick- not Modular cement. imported from Italy.
            The owner is a master pizza chef.

On My trailerI did my Dome bright shiny seamed Copper sheet metal. trailer is black and 8 widex 11 long. Tandem Axle . Electric brakes .
            I still have to install my hand washing sink and holding tanks.
            If I could ever figure out how to upload pictures on this site I would get some on here.- Maybe I will just add some more picts on my photobucket website and post the link.

Comment

Here is one quick and easy way to add pics from your photobucket album.
              Have two windows open. One from your thread and one from your photobucket album.

On your photobucket window, select the pic you want to post. There will be several selections on the right of the page. Select the direct link. It should automatically copy the hyperlink.

On your thread window, on the reply to thread, click the go advanced selection. In the body of your reply where you want the pic to appear, click this little pane:

A box will appear where you can insert the link. I just use Control V on the key pad to do this. Click ok and now you can select preview post to see what you did before posting.
              Last edited by Gulf; 01-12-2013, 05:58 AM. Reason: spelling
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by

Here is a link to a mobile oven that is truly a Piece of Art: [url=http://www.fastcodesign.com/1670430/the-ultimate-food-truck-a-pizza-joint-on-wheels#1
                The Ultimate Food Truck: A Pizza Joint On Wheels | Co.Design: business + innovation + design[/url]

This truck creates crowds everywhere it sets up. the shipping container rides on 4 semi airbags rated at 10k lbs each
                the guy spent 180k on having it built.

The oven is Brick- not Modular cement. imported from Italy.
                The owner is a master pizza .
                He'll need to make an awful lot of dough to get back that investment.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Did you end up only using one layer of insulation? Did it work out for you?

Comment

Working...
                  X