Clear All

• Re: Chip's 42 in Minnesota

Originally posted by ggoose View Post
    Thanks Chip!
    goose,

One other thing.

I have started to read the Text Book

Professional Baking - Fourth Edition by Wayne Gisslen

It is the Textbook for baking used by Le Cordon Bleu If you decide to get it get 4th edition or later as the 4th was the first to add Artisan bread discussion.

There are some great techniques and discussions in here. BUT it is a textbook so not for light reading it is 700 pages and as far as I know only available in hardcover.

It is now in it's 6th edition, not sure what changes have been made to the newer printings.

Chip
    Last edited by mrchipster; 10-10-2012, 08:17 AM. Reason: added 6th edition note
    Chip

Comment

Fired up the oven last night to bake a batch of cookies today in preparation for my daughters wedding in a couple of weeks.

Make 26 dozen, I did 3 cookie sheets at at time, 27 cookies and oven temp at start 450F and at end 410F The ones that came out first were a little nicer but all in all a good showing.

The round window door worked great, I could see how they were getting done 8 minutes for the first sheets and 11 minutes for the last due to temp loss.

Chip
      Chip

Comment

I appreciate it Chip. Would that snickerdoodle recipe be in the book as well?

Comment

I appreciate it Chip. Would that snickerdoodle recipe be in the book as well?
          No but here is the Snickerdoodle recipe

Makes three dozen 3 inch cookies. Your mileage will vary by the size scoop you use. I weigh 1 oz balls.

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
          2 tsps cream of tartar
          1 tsp baking soda
          1/4 teaspoon salt
          16 tbsps (2 stick or 8 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
          1 3/4 cups sugar, plus more if needed
          2 tbsps ground cinnamon, plus more if needed
          2 large eggs

Preheat the WFO to 450?F Floor temp; Line baking sheets parchment paper; set aside.

Sift together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl. Add eggs, and beat to combine. Add dry ingredients, and beat to combine. At this point, I chill the dough overnight.

In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar and the ground cinnamon. Weigh the cold dough into 1 oz blocks and then roll into balls., and roll in cinnamon sugar. Place about two inches apart on parchment covered baking sheets. Bake until the cookies are set in center and begin to crack (they will not brown), about 8 minutes at 450F Floor temp in the WFO Transfer the sheets to a wire rack to cool about five minutes before transferring the cookies to the rack. In theory, they can be stored in an airtight container up to one week. But try them hot out of the oven "Bet ya can't eat just one"

Chip
          Chip

Comment

Thanks again Chip...I was hoping you might catch my hint . My computer now contains a file with "Chips recipes"!

I checked out the text you recommended - spendy (for the latest edition), but a highly recommended book. I have the 4th edition of Professional Cooking.

Comment

Thanks again Chip...I was hoping you might catch my hint . My computer now contains a file with "Chips recipes"!

I checked out the text you recommended - spendy (for the latest edition), but a highly recommended book. I have the 4th edition of Professional Cooking.
              I agree very spendy.. I was lucky enough to pick up my 4th edition at a used book store in a bargain bin for about $3.00

Chip
              Chip

Comment

Chip
                How about a recipe for pizza dough? I need a LOT of help in the cooking department.
                Tracy
                Texman Kitchen
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Granite counter went on the Prep table tonight with the help of some neighbors. She weighed in at about 360 Pounds. Updated photos from last night. for a better look at the prep table and installation.

Another $200.00 invested in the oven thanks to Craigslist.

I undercut some of the bricks to give a better fit and used expanding foam under the counter to provide a nice flat supported surface. I still need to clean up the squeeze out, caulk the edges and do some grouting at the seam of the counter and bricks. I am real happy with how it turned out.

Chip
                  Last edited by mrchipster; 10-17-2012, 08:19 AM. Reason: updated photos added description
                  Chip

Comment

Updated the previous post to include daylight photos. I will post final photos after grouting and caulking work is done.

Chip
                    Chip

Comment

A little rain today, Here is proof that with a light rain my roof seems to work well. Look at the patio.

Chip
                      Chip

Comment

It is so nice to have a large countertop space especially when it is so close WFO. I have to run back and forth from my kitchen like a madman to the WFO everytime I cook something. Nice Job Chip!
                        Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

Originally posted by banhxeo76 View Post
                          It is so nice to have a large countertop space especially when it is so close WFO. I have to run back and forth from my kitchen like a madman to the WFO everytime I cook something. Nice Job Chip!
                          Thanks for the complements AL and Banhxeo, I still need to run back and forth 6 months of the year because of the cold. But I think it will work out well the other 6. It is nice to have a place to set things down for loading and unloading all year round.

I did have a piece of scrap granite on the counter this summer for a few parties and liked it so much I decided to go with granite, my other options were slate and polished concrete. I liked the granite so much I had to go that route.

Now I want them in the kitchen and that is a whole other project.

Chip
                          Chip

Comment

very nice.........
                            Russell
                            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

The lights are on but no one is making pizza. A night time beauty shot.

Chip
                              Chip

Comment

First snow of the year, and getting oven ready for my daughters wedding dinner.

Fire yesterday, oven 780F this morning. Coals left in over night but ember photo is from last night

Chip
                                Chip

Comment

Working...
                                X