• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PizzaIdiot
    replied
    Re: Floor Insulation

Brickie,
    I've been comparing prices near Greenville, South Carolina.

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post

Anyone done comparisons in price?
    I can drive to Atlanta, GA and get 20 sf of Duraboard for $220 - otherwise shipping is over $100.
    Portland cement is $11 for a 94#bag and Vermiculite is $15/bag (4 cu.ft ?).
    Figuring a 20 sq ft area that is 4" thick gives me a volume of 6.7cu ft. If I plan 10 cu ft, I'm looking at $50 for two bags of vermiculite (8cf) and 3 bags of portland cement 1.8 cu ft and (assuming 5:1 vermiculite: portland cement). I've tried to account for some compaction in this estimate too.
    Even if I go to 6" thick, I'm looking at $75. Still a lot less expensive than Duraboard - but does require more labor.
    Obviously I don't know about prices in Australia, but wouldn't mind vacation there!

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• Neil2
    replied

"My wife told me today to just raise it 2 more inches and build her and the kids a step. "

Build it and use it for a while. Most of the people who have regretted the height they built to have wished they had built it higher.

You may find the 49 inch height to be OK.

Leave a comment:

• SCChris
    replied

John,
    I want to step in and add some perspective, my perspective. Remember, there's a big difference between a working pizzeria and the height that is required for constant work and your home pizza oven and what your wife might be most comfortable with. Your kids inevitably will grow and if a Friday or Saturday night is as many as 10 Pizzas once or twice a month, even weekly, then you may be fine. If you're the one working the oven height won’t be an issue. If it's your wife, the height of the oven deck may never be a problem, it might not be ideal but it might never be an issue. If on the other hand if this height inconvenience keeps the oven from being used, this is a big problem. You can always design a step to be added at some future date if needed. The insulation is cheap relative to the overall oven cost but the benefits are large.

Chris

PS My money is my wife’s money and my wife’s money is her money.
    PSS My wife has never in all the time since being built, put a pizza in or taken one out..She has always enjoyed them..
    Last edited by SCChris; 07-31-2011, 04:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

My wife told me today to just raise it 2 more inches and build her and the kids a step.
    Yep, it's easier to raise the patio than to lower it. You'll never regret using too much insulation.

Leave a comment:

• johnfm43
    replied

Thanks for the advice. I thought that is what I was going to do. I was just hopeing that I could get away with it. But, from reading this forum for the past three years, I knew that I just needed to fix it. My wife told me today to just raise it 2 more inches and build her and the kids a step.

Thanks again.
    johnfm43

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

The Insblock 19 that I got from Harbison Walker (ANH Refractories) came in 1'x3's that were two 1" thick panels sandwiched together. They actually came apart quite easily as if glued together with cornstarch. A box of eight 2"-thick panels would give you plenty of 1" insulation plus enough for an insulated door and a thermal break or two.

Leave a comment:

• SCChris
    replied

I like Les's Pumps idea.

Leave a comment:

• RTflorida
    replied

The FB store only carries the 2". You will have to source somewhere else locally or on the internet. Harbison Walker has distribution centers in San Fran and LA, are you close to either? They make board from 1/4" up to 4" thick.
    Might want to try ebay as well, at times I have seen some pretty good pricing on both board and blanket...gotta watch the shipping charges, though.
    Maybe a local pottery or kiln supplier?.

RT

Leave a comment:

• johnfm43
    replied

I do not see 1" board for sale on their website. Can some one direct me to the link.
    thanks

Leave a comment:

• RTflorida
    replied

I think Les offers the best compromise, add 1" of board. No chipping out whats there, just lay the board and move on. Even for you wife, that 1" in added height isn't going to be noticeable, unless you tell her things are taller than planned.

RT

Leave a comment:

• RTflorida
    replied

less heat retention.
    If you are only planning to use it for pizza with a fire off to the side, you should be able to maintain the desired temps. You will probably have issues with bread baking and roasting. Too little insulation leads to more rapid bleed off of the heat retained within the bricks, which in turn will cause a more rapid cool down within the oven.

Best to stick with a known and proven plan = at least 2" of board or at least 4" of perlite/vermiculite concrete.

There have been many threads from those who have stumbled upon this forum after they or "a friend who builds ovens" have completed their ovens with too little, wrong materials, or no insulation. To fix after the fact is extremely problematic and many times ineffective. You are at a point where correcting the problem is not much work and not too much of an expense.

RT

Leave a comment:

• turkey
    replied

do you already have 2" of FB board? or thinking how high it would be with it?

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Can you compromise on the height and add just one inch of board. The result would be better than 3 1/2 of vermiculite. Or add the 2 inches and buy your wife some cooking pumps...

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by johnfm43 View Post
    What is the problem with only 2 1/2" under floor?
    They recommend 100mm and it must be for the minimum amount, more obviously would be better.

Yet 40mm of board does the same job, Ive got 40mm of board under my oven.

I actually think the vermicrete would work out more expensive in the end compared to using a board.

Anyone done comparisons in price?

Originally posted by johnfm43 View Post
    No actually my slab is already poured.
    But you will only be taking out the vermicrete, not the concrete.

Leave a comment:

• johnfm43
    replied

No actually my slab is already poured. Is tearing it out and using board the only solution I have. What is the problem with only 2 1/2" under floor?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X