Cloita's 42" Pompeii in Plainfield, IL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cloita's 42" Pompeii in Plainfield, IL

Here is the jig I made using the same concepts that Tex talked about. Hendo did use a 14" saw so he had more depth to work with.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks Tex/Russell, the swap of the jig bevel/angle design is where i was at in my head after lunch today but those pictures makes it much clearer. Again, this forum is worth it's weight (packet weight?) in gold!
      Last edited by cloita; 07-11-2012, 06:06 PM.
      - Jonathan

"If you don't know where you're going, you might not get there." --Yogi Berra

Comment

Been a few weeks but I've been busy! July never seems to last as long as I want it to... A few days ago marked one year since starting this build. Tonight I got within four bricks of closing up the eighth course before I ran out of daylight. Things are going smoothly, just taking my time with a day or two break between courses to keep myself sane. This is the part of the build where you question how the crap you've gotten yourself into this big of a project...

Enough rambling, here's a few pictures:

Arch progress:

Sixth course (first full circle after arch tie-in):
        Last edited by cloita; 08-02-2012, 08:06 PM.
        - Jonathan

Comment

Seventh course:

Eighth course almost done:
          Last edited by cloita; 08-02-2012, 08:07 PM.
          - Jonathan

Comment

Cloita,

You are putting right along. Going to pass me up soon. Do you think you need to buttress your arch?
            Russell

Comment

Great Job! I live in Dyer IN not to far from you. How will finish your oven? enclose or leave as a dome? I'm curing my 42" Pompeii right now and will add and enclosure due to our winters.

Mark

Comment

Russell - hadn't thought about it, the design I'm following never mentioned need but I'll have to mull it over and see if I need it and if it will fit in my hearth.

Mark - Thanks! My plan is a stone finish to go with my stamped concrete, have not looked at materials yet. Congrats on curing your oven, I can't wait to get to that step. Hopefully I don't spend more time cooking than finishing my enclosure, I fear what a winter would do to an unfinished oven.
                - Jonathan

Comment

Shenanigans on the tenth course
                  - Jonathan

Comment

Jonathan, wait until you get stuck going in via the arch.........I had to stay there until I lost a few pounds. LOL
                    Russell

Comment

I've measured my shoulders a few times while fearing the day I'll have to go in through the arches... It's gonna be close
                      - Jonathan

Comment

Start of eleventh course. Nothing interesting here, just circles of brick.
                        - Jonathan

Comment

Johnathan,

Looks good, this is where it get interesting, gravity, less forgiveness with the bricks, etc. But looks like you have things in hand.
                          Russell

Comment

slowly, brick by brick, i'm working my way through course 11. it needs to stop raining here!!!
                            - Jonathan

Comment

Ran out of daylight before I could finish the eleventh course tonight

- Jonathan

Comment

Ran out of daylight? Still light here in the far north!

Build looks great. Very nice shape and symmetry

Dennis
                                My build progress
                                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Working...
                                X