Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

May be starting my 42" Pompeii in NYC this week...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: May be starting my 42" Pompeii in NYC this week...

Comment

It took me a long 6 months to turn this side yard from dirt into a new pool, pavers and covered kitchen. Between the slow city permit and inspection process to the cold weather approaching last winter it wasn't easy.

Comment

WoW! very nice. :reallyimpressed:

There have been a few threads here about salvaging an oven improperly built....With those looks, I'd try to salvage that oven if at all possible. You'll find several knowledgable people here with barrel ovens that work well, they are available to help redesign and consult (Tscarborough, David S, and Brickie in Oz to name three). But then, you may prefer to make a wine cellar out of it

With that kitchen, you can't lose, its fabulous!
        Lee B.
        DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Good luck with the build NYC!! Glad to have you in this community. I'm building an outdoor kitchen as well, but it will pale in comparison to yours. That is just awesome!

aceves

Comment

I agree with Lee.
            It sure would be nice to have the oven right in that kitchen.
            I looked at the photos and it looks like there is nothing on the other side of that wall except perhaps a zoning set back. And a cantilevered slab could save the appliances you have to the left.

I am sure you considered the situation however, and I remember reading your previous posting with the damaged ceiling. I can see how you would want avoid any potential of that happening again.
            Look forward to following your progress.
            Best
            Chuck

Comment

I'm confused by your first paragraph. Can you please elaborate?

Comment

Guys, here is an idea. What if I addressed my 3 issues on the current oven in this manner.

Issue #1-Smoke spilling out the front into covered area:

remove existing flue and patch in hole at the top of the vault and then build a cinder block stand with a landing and vent outside the front of the oven then angle the new 8" flue back over the top to enter the roof at the same spot where the current flue enters.

Issue #2-Improper flue material and diameter:

Replace all existing flue material with double wall stainless steel flue pipe with 8" ID.

Issue #3-No insulation on exterior:

Knock the stone off the dome, cover in FB blanket and stucco exterior.

Here is an illustration (a poor PS one) to show the new cinder block stand and landing with vent on the outside. Also, is it OK to NOT have a vent hole inside the dome on a vault oven and have the vent set out front like a pompeii?

Comment

I can not speak to the venting and flue issues as I am building my first oven and it is not a vault.
                  If you get sound answers to those, a rebuild may be the way to go.

I can say that as a carpenter I have often found myself being called in to fix other peoples mistakes and 90% of the time, to do it right I have to tear it out and start from scratch.
                  In your situation for example if the vault is not insulated you will likely damage it removing the veneer stones. And if the oven does not work properly after the adaptation, that would be a lot of work for naught.

May instinct says , take it down to the slab below the hearth, If the base is sound use that and build a tried design up from there. You may have to compromise by having an oven that is less the 42in inside but you could be certain that the design is tested and it will function properly.

Comment

Problem is that even on a 36" Pompeii the base is not large enough for it. I will leave it as a decoration and break ground on a 42" Pompeii in a new area tomorrow.

Comment

Can you tell us how wide the base area is?

Comment

The current one from memory is about 45"-48" on the slab on top of the stand. The depth is the problem as the pompeii requires room for the vent and landing.

Comment

Sorry to be a pain. What's the depth. Just trying to workout if a Pompeii would fit? I'm doin a 36inch on a 1.3 x 1.5metre base

Comment

Only 40" deep.

Comment

Would you expound on the inadequacy of the current flu....Reusing the flu (route and material) you have may be a high hurdle.

If the current track of the flu is reusable, your proposed modification has merit. dmun will remind you to stick with less than 31 degree angles as you reroute the flu to your new vent location.

HTH

BTW, my oven entry smokes on start up and with gusty winds. I place this door in the entry and the smoke stops.

P.S. Some photos of your oven build might be helpful for those barrel oven experts to chime in for a possible rework.
                              Last edited by Lburou; 08-12-2011, 04:44 AM.
                              Lee B.
                              DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

I am sorry in my last response I missed your question about elaborating on my "first paragraph"
                                What I was saying , regarding the the photo "appearing to have nothing behind the wall but maybe a zoning set back" was that. It may be possible to to set the oven into that wall. There by placing the hearth flush with the counter and your flue closer to the wall.
                                This would mean that on the other side of the wall a small roof would have to be constructed to protect the oven from water as well as a base to support the oven.

A zoning set back is a local law that basically determines the distance from which you could build any structure with a footing from a property boundary.

If it is possible to set the oven into the wall you could place the flue against the wall and have a substantiated hearth.

If in fact there is nothing on the other side of the wall.

Sorry if I am complicating things.
                                If any of this makes sense with respect to the wall in question not having any thing behind it and you want to consider it some more. I could do a quick illustration of what I am talking about.
                                Otherwise I look forward to following the progress at the alternate location.
                                Best
                                Chuck

I could see from the photos that the base of the oven was about 48 inches because the refrigerator to the right is most likely 24 in or 23 5/8in. This is standard for both american and European refrigerators.
                                It looks like you have about 6inches plus on the sides (six inches between the existing oven side and column and existing oven side and refrigerator.) If the base is solid you could cantilever a slab, and just fit a forty two inch oven there.

Comment

Working...
                                X