Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

May be starting my 42" Pompeii in NYC this week...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: May be starting my 42" Pompeii in NYC this week...

Nice blast door Lee.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Broke ground for new slab in the last hour. Hoping to have it poured by the end of the day.

Comment

Question, once the slab is on, can I use a 4" layer of vermiculite with Portland as my base for the firebrick floor or do I need to get the FB board on top of the vermiculite first?

Comment

That is an either or. Vermiculite/ Portland cement OR FB board. You could do both but that would be over kill. Then you set your floor on top of whichever one you choose

Comment

Ok so I can go 4" slab then 4" V and then lay the floor right on it?

Comment

Almost ready to pour the slab. 8" thick with 6 36" pillars using 4000psi mix reinforced with rebar.

Comment

Added a 7th pillar for good measure.

And 3 cubic yards later the slab is done.
                Tomorrow the cinder blocks go up.

Comment

Some progress this morning.

Comment

Nice start NYC, I can tell already by your work you'll be glad you built one yourself. It's going to be nice. If you go with vermicrete as I did for your insulation, keep in mind a 2x4 form will only give you a shade over 3 inches thick. I was able to slide my form up after the initial few inches and put another inch and a half. I used a 5:1 ratio of vermiculite to portland which worked out well.
                    Leigh

Comment

What is the pipe for in your wood storage area?

Comment

Does the V need to Spanish the entire slab or just an area large enough to house the oven and landing since it is simply and inslating layer for the floor?

Comment

The pipe is a gas line from an old grill from before I built my kitchen in another area. It will be capped off and not be used.
                          Last edited by NYC; 08-13-2011, 11:36 AM.

Comment

OK, day 2 I finished the block stand and filled some of the corners. It started raining so I couldn't fill more. Next up is the forms and slab. I may have to get one of my guys to help so this moves faster. I spent two whole days and only got the slab and stand up.

Comment

OK, today I finished pouring the concrete in the blocks and got the rebar in them. I then made the form for the slab and tomorrow will pour the 4" supporting slab if the rain stops.

I also stucco'd the inside of the blocks with a water tight fiber reinforced resurfacer.

Comment

Looking good..
                                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                                X