42" in Hungary by Slovak guy ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 42" in Hungary by Slovak guy

If it were me, I would stagger the joints on the entry vault.

Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

im sorry.. what do you mean?

Comment

Cut three bricks for the second course and all alternating courses so joints do not line up.

If it were me, I would move the inner row of entryway bricks to the outside of the entryway to change the line of thrust and act as a buttress.
        Last edited by GianniFocaccia; 07-21-2014, 12:25 PM.

Comment

This is too complex english for me, im sorry, its not my mother tongue.
          Would you please draw, perhaps? Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by alex.g View Post
            This is too complex english for me, im sorry, its not my mother tongue.
            Would you please draw, perhaps? Thank you
            Many of the UK, Aussie, and Northern US members of the forum would say that English is not my native tongue . But, here we go.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Entry.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	305404

Arrow #1 in the picture is pointing to what I meant by staggering the bond.

Arrow #2 in the picture is pointing to the bricks that GianniFocaccia is referring to. I think that those are just placed there temporarily to hold up your vault form. Correct me if I am wrong. But, a segmental arch will need some buttressing. That is what is what GianniFocaccia meant by moving them to the outside.

But, now after looking a little closer. I don't see where you are building what we call an inner arch . That is usually built with the dome and the entry arch is built separately. By doing so you will create a reveal to help seal your insulated door. Maybe, a pic of the inside of your entry will help.
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Damn, yes.. i was staggering all the bonds, and when i saw my own picture i sweated. Damn damn.. i need to remove those two brick and rework it somehow before it is too late.

Arrow two: those are temporary brick, holding valt in place.

Also understood about inner arch, will try to figure out how to build it as a next step. Something like this, right?

Please explain me what GianniFocaccia said
              "If it were me, I would move the inner row of entryway bricks to the outside of the entryway to change the line of thrust and act as a buttress."

What is buttressing in general
              "But, a segmental arch will need some buttressing."

maybe a picture?

Thank you a lot

Comment

understand now.. just realized the force vectors for rounded enry and 'segmented'
                So i need to reinforse the side, because those can fall to the sides, right?

Comment

Exactly what Gulf and GF are talking about. Your build is progressing nicely. English is my "mother" tongue be I can't even understand it some times
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

As Russell said, your oven is coming along quite nicely. You are not too far along to change your entryway design to a hemispherical one, especially if you construct your oven arch that way (highly recommended).

Here's a pic of what the forms would look like.

John

Comment

Update

Will do inner arch first, and will probably disassemble the arch

Also realized i have slightly deeper entrance than usual, is it ok?

Comment

Looks like you have a reveal, so good. Gulf build has a deep entrance as well and he has had not issues but he can give you his take on it. You are at a point you can start a tapered inner arch like the pictures you showed in a earlier post. Here is a picture from Mr. C showing a tapered inner arch on an inner arch like yours. Looking at your pictures you have enough insulation running past the vent area to bolster you vent arch with no problem.
                        Russell
                        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Also realized i have slightly deeper entrance than usual, is it ok?
                          The entryway depth will be fine. You work the fire and pizzas with a long-handled peel anyway, so what's another 6"?

A deeper entryway is beneficial against wind.

Comment

18inches to the door/innet arch point

Comment

few hours today after work
                              inner arch is done

Comment

Slovakia guy,short long they all work .
                                Mine is 8.5"
                                My 36" pompai is 2 years old now.