Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Last Stand 42" Pompeii Oven Built

Hi all,

I have been reading the forms for a few months and have started my build.

I am building a portable oven on a metal stand that can be moved with a forklift. I plan to use the oven in my pool area and move it out to my ranch where I will be cooking pizza for horse shows.

I went overkill on the stand used 2" x 2" 1/4" square tube steel and 3 1/2" x 1/4 angle iron for the hearth form. The stand is 60" x 68".
    Attached Files

Re: The Last Stand 42" Pompeii Oven Built

Are you planning to use a steel plate for the base?

Comment

Hi Chidding,

I looked at using 1/8" plate, I think that would have worked good and use the FB board for insulation, but the price I was quoted was about $300.00.

I ended up pouring a concrete hearth with lots of re-bar. The concrete was a lot cheaper and I was able to use the excess for an 8' x 4' slab under my gate where the dog likes to dig his way out.

I used a pull behind mixer with a yard of concrete. Wow did it save on time and labor! I poured the cement into a large muck bucket and it took two of us to lift it, but the job went fast.
      Attached Files

Comment

how much did your stand cost? also what will the stand sit on when finished? i was thinking about going this route but worries about my patio being able to support the weight...

Comment

A good idea to weld some plates on to the bottom of the legs to spread the weight.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I went overkill on the stand I could have used 1/8" steel for a lot less. The steel cost about $650.00 for 1/4" with 1/8" expanded steel for the bottom. I could have used 1/4" by 3 1/2" angle iron for the entire stand and the cost would have been$375.00. I think the angle iron would be just as structurally sound, but I liked the look of the the square 2" x 2" 1/4" legs.

I had adjustable feet welled to the base. The oven and stand will be on concrete slab in my pool area just under 6" thick, when I bring the oven out to the ranch for shows it will be on grass or road base. That is why I went for adjustable legs. I have 6" of adjustment. on 2.5" square legs. I don't think there is a level spot on my ranch.

Comment

You'll be happier with the heavier steel. It'll carry the load better and isn't going to flex as much when you're moving it around. Good call on the tube for the legs, too. Angle iron will bend easier than the tube if you whack it on something while moving it around. I probably would have welded on a couple more legs in the middle of the long sides on your stand (wouldn't interfere with the forklift), and maybe one dead center in the stand, but I tend to overbuild stuff.

Comment

When the metal stand was welled together it was very sturdy and very ridged.

I bought three extra legs. In my original plan was to have a center support legs and leave the front open for wood storage. So I may have to build a second WFO on a metal stand with the extra parts.

I need to wait one more day for the concrete to cure, then I can start the fun part.

Comment

I have a lay out question, I want to have a larger granite landing outside the oven. I planed on a 6" landing, but I was thinking that I could extend the granite into the vent area an inch or so short of the door/oven opening, that would give me an extra 7-8" inches. I looked at a lot of pictures and did not see any builds that did that. Are there any reasons that I should not use/have granite floor under the vent?

Comment

Can heat crack granite? - Granite Shorts Ep.2 - YouTube

Shows how much abuse a granite top can take..

But as to constant huge temperatures from a pizza oven, not %100 sure..

Why not go for soapstone?

And im sure somewhere ive seen builds with the benchtop under the vent.

Comment

I am not a big fan of the large landing in front of the oven. All it does is make it harder to get into the back /middle of the oven. If you ever look at professional ovens they have almost no landing at all. What would one use them for anyway? I Think they just get in the way. If I had room for a big landing I would just make a bigger oven. But it's your oven, I just wanted to put it out there.

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike D,

That is a good argument for not going with a larger landing, my landing will only extend past the vent landing by about 6".

Comment

Originally posted by Wesleckner View Post
                          Hi Mike D,

That is a good argument for not going with a larger landing, my landing will only extend past the vent landing by about 6".
                          Here are some considerations for landing and vent area from my humbling experiences.
                          As I have just found out, anything under the vent will get soot dropped on it. So whatever you use under the vent needs to be cleanable. Or at least not transfer the soot to food.
                          The vent area is a good place to keep some dishes warm while others finish cooking. So extending the landing helps with this area. I have a 12" landing outside the vent area and it has not hurt in reaching the back of the 42" pompeii. I personally like the use of the landing and the look it provides. This is all according to personal taste and how you will be using the oven. No correct/incorrect way to do this, just think what you will be cooking/baking and do some simulations with a mock up.
                          I wish I had used soapstone for the look, I have seen many georgeous landings/hearths using soapstone!
                          Hope this helped and not made it more confusing.
                          John
                          Build Thread:http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/i...ome-15521.html
                          Photos: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brick-...67884/pic/list
                          Oven Blog: http://johns-brickoven.blogspot.com/...ven-folly.html

Comment

Thanks for all the input. Just finished my layout and cut the fire bricks for the oven floor and about a dozen bricks for the dome.

I decided to use the 18" x 18" fire brick for the vent landing and part of the oven floor and added a smaller 18" x 6" fire brick that will extend to the front of the vent.

I hope to have the floor installed today and start my soldier course. Any tips or hits?
                            Attached Files

Comment

Just finished my floor and solider course. I been playing with different ideas for inner arch. I like the idea of beveling the backside that will tie into the dome, any suggestions on how to do this, and is there a reason that most people build the arch first and not at the same time as the dome courses?

Comment

Working...
                              X