• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gulf
    replied
    Re: Mississippi 44"

Very fine looking maters Chip,
    They do seem to all ripen at once. I missed a photo op' last weekend. My grand daughter picked an Easter basket full. I understand that a good many of them went into making a great tasting salsa. The rest we used on fresh salads and of course, seed for next year .

Russell,
    Sounds like we found similar instructions for fermenting the seeds. I washed, separated, and dried mine on an old window screen. They are now in a sealed paper envelope. I'll probably do one more small batch of seeds with the next wave that ripens.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Nice SMs. I took Aussie Dave's advice and harvested the best SMs and seeded them. Fairly easy to do. Did a Google on how to do it. Basically take the pulp put in a cup let it a white mold form (stinky), rinse well and throw away pulp and any seeds that float. Dry seeds and store in a air tight container. I'm ready for 2014..........

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Back to SM talk....

They finally all turned red at once.

Two bowls just like this one today and one Tuesday.

Leave a comment:

• thickstrings
    replied

Ain'nt younever had squirrl gravey and biskits? I have and its very good....." Get you some , Hon".........thanks Mss. O'Neill... .......you never been to deer camp?
    Last edited by thickstrings; 08-24-2013, 06:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Tree rats? Ya'll must be talking about them little bitty ole park squirrels .

Leave a comment:

• GIANLUCA
    replied

Here in the northeast a squirll is considered a tree rat! Lol!

Leave a comment:

• Bookemdanno
    replied

With regards to cook'd squrl, i'm not sure that Chicken, Nuts and Toms is a recognised combo!
    Maybe a roll in some Jerk might cover it up!

Do you need a skewer, or just hold the tail?

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Tastes like chicken??? Lol

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    My mouth is watering, big time . Baked squirrel and hot biscuits .
    Gudday
    ......and well feed squirrel at that!
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

My mouth is watering, big time . Baked squirrel and hot biscuits .

Leave a comment:

• rsandler
    replied

Russell, there's worse things than slow tomatoes. We've had a bumper crop of 'maters, including a "Super Marzano" plant, and the #*&@ squirrels have taken every last one of them, or near enough. The bushy-tailed rats pick them off mostly green and leave the guts lying around the yard. Bloody squirrels...

Leave a comment:

• Bookemdanno
    replied

Nice Toms sir!
    Mine are very behind, due to no glasshouse, and a cold spring.
    I do tend to let my plants just do what they want and produce whatever they want rather than the 3 truss regime.
    Thanks for your help with the PMs too!

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by Les View Post
    It's not you Russell, it's where you are living.................. Gulf lives in Miss - his plants will hide an abandoned car in a week.
    Les,
    I had to go back and take another look at my pic. I was sure that I had framed that shot without the car .

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    I guess my plants are the runt of the liter............
    Russell,
    Large overgrown plants ain't necessarily a good thing. I may have over fertilized mine before the fruit started forming. I read where too much nitrogen, too early, can inhibit the picking up of calcium by the roots. Thank's again for the seeds. The southern sisters are having a difficult first year. But, I think Dave is spot on about developing these heirlooms to our respective areas. I believe next years "maters" will be better in both our locations.

Chip,
    I did the same thing with the calcium tablets. I also found a concentrate at the feed store for blossom end rot. It is mixed in water and sprayed directly on the plant. It claims to be a more readily absorbable form of calcium. I'm not making any claims for it though. I don't believe that it would have been necessary, if I would have gotten the soil balanced right to start with.

Dave,
    I will be saving the ash for the garden. Thanks for the reminder. We use to do that but, I have been away from gardening for a long time. Maybe, that will help with that Mount Vesuvius flavor .

Also: Chip,
    It is looks like yours are doing great. I'm sure the warm weather will really bring them on. It is has been hot here for a while. It is actually a little late for tomatoes down here. They grow fine in late season but, are more difficult to keep disease free. I should have a good week also. With a late start, my goal was to grow for seed. But, I think now that I will also get enough to eat a few. Next year, I hope to get an early start.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Will do this too on next year's crop. I noticed the first fruits seem the have the blossom rot but the second ones don't seem to have the problem or at least as much.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Dave,

That I will. I am sure the poor production has to be due to my soil. Must be also low a calcium, see a lot of blossom end rot. But enough to eat just not enough to make pizza sauce. Gulf and my seeds are from the same lot and his plants are giagantic!
    I ground up calcium tablets and egg shells and put them in the pot that had end rot and now it is gone.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X