X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kurtloup
    replied
    Re: Mississippi 44"

Looks great. At this time, I'm planning to brick my dome with half bricks. The splits you used look easier.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Thanks? Russell,
    My maters got a late start for our growing season. But, I think they will be doing just fine when most others have fizzled out down here. Yes, I saw those pics and was a little jealous . Well there is always next year. The seeds from these San Marzanos will get an early start. That is if they are ?heirloom? tomatoes. I think that I read somewhere that they were. If not, I still have about 20 or so left from what you sent me .

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Gulf,

Looks very fine, seems you can't get away from building some type of brick dome............you see those maters being grown in AZ? My seedlings are beginning to do well.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Well, I almost had this post finished and accidently closed the d@mn window.

I knew that the tear drop was coming because of the lack of inverted v's forming in the head and bed joints where the dome meats the chimney.

Oh well, just fix it and go on. It's hidden under a shelf anyway.

The hole in the middle is a 1" threaded pvc fitting for the vent.

I kept the joints raked and swept as I applied the splits. Unless someone looks real close they would think that it is finished. And that is the way the dome will probably look for some time. I intend to tuck point the joints but, not before a few other things get done.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Dave,
    The splits that I have are all face cuts. They are a little rough, uneven, and different sizes. The interior cuts of the brick are usually identical thicknesses. In my neck of the woods most floors and a few counters tops are done with the interior cuts. The face cuts are more difficult to install for an even finish. But that is what I wanted for the dome to keep with the old brick look.
    I hope Brickie's lead helps you find the right product for you .

I do like love the look of your brick oven and chimney. I can only admire the work that has gone into it, and especially the fitting of the dome brick with a brick set .

It is really looking great!

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Gudday Gulf
    Just saw you brick splits , amazing, never seen any thing like those before.
    Bunnings used to sell them in the tile section, failing that try a tile shop.

My mate cuts them for Boral.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Gulf
    Just saw you brick splits , amazing, never seen any thing like those before. Certainly makes the job of covering the dome nice and neat.
    I'm covering my dome with brick as well but a bit more of a rustic effect as I'm using a brick bulster. Takes some time .... But what the hell with the oven I have all the time in the world to fiddle along as I wish.
    I inspired by those brick splits as I still have to tile the surface around the oven...might even have to use a brick saw after all this time.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by kbartman View Post

I'm sure you've seen the big ones, that may scare Brickie away.
    Taint much that can scare me apart from the human race....

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    ...I needed to save a little time for other chores.
    Yeah, like a double ramp sink and bar stools.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

No apologies necessary KB,
    It is I who should apologize for not welcoming you on board when you first started your build. The last several months have called for lots of hours at work. I have been checking most nights to review the new posts. I have been watching your build. Great job! When I am not working on mine, my hobby has become watching others progress. There are some brick products out there that would help you give your enclosure the look of real brick. I used flooring splits for my dome. Probably cut a little different than what you want to do. But they would work if you size your cuts to get the most out of each split. If you are looking for a raked joint look, they are a breeze.

Thanks Russell and Stonecutter.

Russell,
    That is one "bedonkadonk" that I have been wanting to cover up .

Stonecutter,
    I bought precut flooring splits for the dome.

I have cut some of my own on the 10" saw to mix in but, that requires two cuts to get a face split. Not that hard to do but, I needed to save a little time for other chores.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Gulf,

Nice work, the Queen is getting a new dress.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Apologizes Gulf, I just realized I have not posted anything on your thread. Please allow me introduce myself. I am very impressed by your build. I really like your brick splits…... I hope to incorporate them on my dome enclosure dog house.

I'm sure you've seen the big ones, that may scare Brickie away.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

So, are these whole bricks you are slicing down? It's looking good.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    I just checked out the house prices in New Orleans..... why are they so cheap?
    I went to max price if $300,000 and the same houses and land size here in Melbourne would be close to $1M........Im coming over to live and you can teach me how to say y'all.....
    Brickie I think I know why the houses are so cheap in Mississippi........ This one made it all the way to my work here in Florida........ Sure ya want to learn to say y'all?

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

I finally started on applying the brick splits to the dome.

I bought Old Chicago splits for the dome. They are actually marked IBC, for the Illinois Brick Company, not Old Chicago. From one whole face split I am cutting getting 3 bricks for the dome. They are not a match for the "Old Any Where In South Mississippi" that I have, but they are a done deal. I cut a few of my own to help tie it in but, they really don't add that much. I may have to cheat and color one here and there to better tie it in. We will see. I am using 3/8" ceramic tile floor spacers to keep them in place while the ThinSet sets up.

Eight courses on this side of the dome was a hell of a lot quicker than it was on the other .
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-14-2013, 07:16 PM. Reason: lin+k

Leave a comment:

Working...
X