• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gulf
    replied
    Re: Mississippi 44"

I hear ya' Damon .

While waiting for Brickie to practice driving on the right hand side of the road and getting some experience on the demolition derby circuit (which is by the way a great course) for learning how to drive in New Orleans . I got a little more time on the oven.

Leave a comment:

• Bacterium
    replied

Careful Gulf you know what they say about Brickie
    he was born on the wrong side of the blanket

...only jokes just $hIt stirring

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    I just checked out the house prices in New Orleans..... why are they so cheap?
    I went to max price if $300,000 and the same houses and land size here in Melbourne would be close to $1M........Im coming over to live and you can teach me how to say y'all.....

Comparison.
    Your end.
    My end.
    The real estate at my end consists of buying one of three units with no land.
    I can't really explain that Al. It may have something to do with many of the homes being near or below sea level. Also, New Orleans, still hasn't fully recovered from the last two hurricanes.

Come over Al,
    You want have to be taught how to say ya'll. When you hear it every day, it just comes natural .

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    All right ya'll,
    Here is the location

I just checked out the house prices in New Orleans..... why are they so cheap?
    I went to max price if $300,000 and the same houses and land size here in Melbourne would be close to $1M........Im coming over to live and you can teach me how to say y'all.....

Comparison.
    Your end.
    My end.
    The real estate at my end consists of buying one of three units with no land.
    Last edited by brickie in oz; 05-14-2013, 12:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

150 miles one way is not too bad, you just need a big enough vehicle to justify it.
    I travel about that far to scavenge good firewood, I can get other stuff locally but it doesnt burn the same as the far away tree.
    Last edited by brickie in oz; 05-13-2013, 11:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Wow, load er up. What a deal.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

All right ya'll,
    Here is the location of this mill with driving directions from the Dome.

There are small mills like this all over the Southeast of the US of A.

A retired friend of mine follows the seasons in a camper. He once told me that he searches for cabinet shops, and furniture manufacturing shops in the areas that he camps. He said that he is able to get the wood for his campfires for little or nothing in most cases. Another old retired friend of mine who lived across from my mother-in-law made hardwood rockers, gliders, swings etc. He had lots of scraps that he used to burn in his fireplace. An artisan like him may be a source for some wood. (Except in NOLA) I think that all construction materials sold in the "Big Easy" must be treated due to Formosa termite.

Tu,
    Even a rounded pickup load (about 1/2 cord) of split red oak, delivered, over here is about 100 bucks. These guys only have to drive about 10 country miles to deliver in most cases. They cut and split the trunks to get a quick load and leave another load of oven sized limbs on the ground. I try to find where they are cutting and scavenge behind them.

Next time that I go for lotto tickets (just across the MS/LA line) I'll bring you a pickup load.
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-13-2013, 08:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• banhxeo76
    replied

You got to be kidding!?! How far is that sawmill from New Orleans? I would open a WFO bakery within one mile from that place. I just spent about $265 for a full cord of red oak!

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

That is quite a resource stream. No chainsaw involved. How much time would that free up for worthwhile pursuits?

Cheers ............ Steve

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

All of this is outside of the gate free for the taking.
    Whoah dude, whats your address Im coming over for the free firewood.....

I hope you took lots of it, there is every type needed in them piles from kindling to good firing pieces.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

I got a little time this afternoon to get a slurry coat on the landing and ledges. I didn't get any pics. They don't look that much different anyway.

On the way back from from a Mothers Day family gathering, I stopped by a local sawmill to pick up some tomato stakes. They are 1" X 1" spacers used to separate the hardwood lumber while drying in the kiln.

All of this is outside of the gate free for the taking.

All oak, mostly red oak.

I feel for those who live in areas where hardwood is hard to come by. I am truly blessed .
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2013, 07:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    Gulf,

The echo comment was because of a double post
    Oops!
    I hate it when that happens .
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2013, 06:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Thank's Stonecutter,
    My antique building experience always included a step down from the finished floor to the exterior levels (porches etc.) Also, just to explain the differences in local terminology, the "prow gable" that you referred to on another thread was commonly called a "boat bow" down here .
    Boat bow huh? I always thought that term referred to more of the ridge line shape, not to an extended gable. Local terms have always interested me, you see it a lot with masonry and with how loose aggregate is described from place to place.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Gulf,

The echo comment was because of a double post

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Thank's Stonecutter,
    My antique building experience always included a step down from the finished floor to the exterior levels (porches etc.) Also, just to explain the differences in local terminology, the "prow gable" that you referred to on another thread was commonly called a "boat bow" down here .

Brickie,
    As for as the "echo" is concerned, I've lived with a blonde for nearly forty years. Forgive me, if that one went over my head . Some of it may have rubbed off .

Leave a comment:

Working...
X