• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laku
    replied
    Re: Mississippi 44"

Originally posted by Bookemdanno View Post
    If i'm correct, an oven used in lower temperatures would be more likely to encounter condensation problems during the cooling period from firing?
    As I understand it the condensation only happens when a surface is cooler than its surroundings. In other words almost never in an wfo.. Well maybe in summers if it has been unused for long.

I certainly haven't noticed any problems with it during winter or summer cooking.

Leave a comment:

• Bookemdanno
    replied

This is an interesting theory Gulf, and its amazing how i didn't think of it sooner.
    Your valve idea seems like it'd really be a worthwhile investment. Especially for those ovens in areas with a wider climactic zone. If i'm correct, an oven used in lower temperatures would be more likely to encounter condensation problems during the cooling period from firing?
    I'm now looking into a small de-humidifier, which i can set up inside the oven with the door shut. This could be the first stage of seasoning after a wet winter, perhaps?
    With the idea being to draw moisture into the oven, through the bricks and remove it rather than create pressures of expanding vapours trying to escape outwards?

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Gulf/Al,

I like the Aboriginal art comparison, when I visited that end of the world a year ago I brought back native and local art for the house and Al is right, the counters have the Aboriginal look. Consider the counters fine collectable art!
    Russell, You could have posted this sooner! .

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by Bookemdanno View Post
    Yeah, yeah, yeah...but what about the trapped water vapour and condesation?

I love the way that your creating all these new methods of concreting. The polished countertops with colours and glass, or assorted aggregates is amazing! A lot of man hours to achieve though?
    Thank's Danno,
    I have a 2 and 5/8" opening at the apex of my domes vcrete layer. That is approximately the size of a 16 ounce budweiser can .

It forms an opening through the vcrete layer to the fiber insulation layer. This opening will also be filled with ceramic fiber insulation. I will use this opening to help relieve any remaining excess moisture during the final curing stages. I will eventually cover the vcrete and a layer of stucco with split brick. At that time I will masonry in a 2" threaded sleeve into the upper 2" of this opening. At that time I will install this breather.

It is filled with a filter medium which traps moisture from re-entering a heated space during it's cool down phase. (even dry air expands when heated and contracts when cooled) I don't want to rely on the osmosis slow porousity of any masonry to relieve these pressures. This breather is not a solution, it is just an experiment. If it doesn't seem to work a 2" plug can be inserted in the sleeve. But, I think that a dessicant filter could be reinstalled after a period of oven unuse or suspected moisture build up. Atleast during the cool down phase after a refiring.
    Just Sayin'.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Gulf/Al,

I like the Aboriginal art comparison, when I visited that end of the world a year ago I brought back native and local art for the house and Al is right, the counters have the Aboriginal look. Consider the counters fine collectable art!

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Before slurry looks like some weird giant gingerbread experiment
    Laku,
    Gingerbread ain't exactly the substance that came to my mind when I first took them out of the forms .

Russell,
    As Dennis was saying the colors will pop back out, but hopefully a little more subdued due to all the air pockets in the surface layer which will fill with the off white slurry.

Dennis,
    A stain of some kind might work but, I think that I saw somewhere that an acrylic fortifier like I used will inhibit an acid stain from working properly.

Are you part Aboriginal? It looks like their art work....
    Kind of hard to tell with any certainty, .......I live in the melting pot

I notice you ended up with the attractive dark slurry.
    David.
    Well, maybe. I am experimenting on a few shelves that will mostly be inconspicuous. I am going to give them the full treatment though, just for practice.

Leave a comment:

• Bookemdanno
    replied

Yeah, yeah, yeah...but what about the trapped water vapour and condesation?

I love the way that your creating all these new methods of concreting. The polished countertops with colours and glass, or assorted aggregates is amazing! A lot of man hours to achieve though?

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

I notice you ended up with the attractive dark slurry.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    What a mess, looks like a snake.
    Are you part Aboriginal? It looks like their art work....

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

I think it's kind of cool - if you aren't looking for subtlety. The colors are going to pop back once you grind - but if you want to mute the whole thing you can use a stain once you have it polished.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Hi Gulf,

Before the slurry the counters did have that Magaritiville look, the slurry did seem to tone down the color(s). As I polished my counters, the water makes the counter glisten much more than when dry. See how they look after you polish and maybe do a test section with sealer to see the final look.

Leave a comment:

• Laku
    replied

Before slurry looks like some weird giant gingerbread experiment.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

As for as trying another veining technique goes, I am not impressed with it. I took a large syringe and used it like a caulking gun to apply a bead of dark slurry. I also used a little dryer mix to get more air pockets near the surface for a marbling effect. I darkened the colors also. So much so, that I did not think that a dark slurry would work. From what I have seen on the web a light color slurry is what is mostly used to get this effect.

What a mess, looks like a snake.

You can see a couple of pieces of glass and one of my smaller sea shell cross sections. I decided to apply a light colored slurry to try and save these more inconspicuous shelves. Here they are painted with the fortifier/bonding agent.

Here they are after applying the slurry.

I will have to wait until after the first wet sanding to see how they turn out. But, my first impression is to go back to my origional colors and the sand veining with the dark slurry to accent the fossils.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

You are very welcome Doug, again sorry about the late reply.

Thank's Russell, I am also trying a new veining technique on this one. It may be a total flop. But hopefully, it will not be as noticeable as the front .

Joe

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Gulf,

Can't wait to see how the pours go. Knowing how detailed oriented you are they are going to be great.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X