• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gulf
    replied
    Re: Mississippi 44"

Originally posted by david s View Post
    Trying to get any metal reinforcing over a compound curve smoothly takes a long time. I gave up on it ages ago in preference to reinforcing fibres added to the mix, over a web of thin wire woven over the dome.
    Very good point David,
    Most of my knowledge is from "ages ago" . By reading this, Maybe someone else will use the fibers in a simular situation. I have only just in the last couple of days ran across the premixed stucco with fibers

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

David,
    I don't know how attractive it is, but it did help tone down at least some of those bright UA colors .

The one on the left is the water only test. So far, I like the liquid acrylic fortifier only sample.

I wet sanded them this evening with automotive wet sand paper (by hand). I will be adjusting colors and waiting until these samples dry fully. I want to see how they look once coated with sealer.
    One funny thing I noticed: In the top left hand corner of each sample is a fern like leaf that I pulled from the same plant growing in my uncut yard. The one in the water only sample kept it's shape. The one in the acrylic only sample withered immediately once it was covered with concrete.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    I'm not too sure how good of a reinforcement that chicken wire is. Also, it and lathe are not that easy to form into a complex curve. (Still trying to keep that simi-perfect sphere thing going) . I just think that the mesh is a better option in my particular case. I'm not saying that mesh is easy to work with either but, with enough cuts, at least "dooable". I don't know that reinforcement is even needed for stucco directly over vcrete. What I am attempting is to make only a thick scratch and brown coat layer to attach split brick.
    Trying to get any metal reinforcing over a compound curve smoothly takes a long time. I gave up on it ages ago in preference to reinforcing fibres added to the mix, over a web of thin wire woven over the dome.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

I'm looking forward to seeing your attractive dark slurry.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

I had origionally thought about buying some splits, but I still have a lot of old whole brick still. I did a few test cuts with the HF saw, it's easy to get four 1/2 splits out of each brick.

The vcrete just helped me to get the shape back that I wanted. I did a real lumpy job on the blanket. Although, it probably did not hurt to have a little more insulation .

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Oh I see, more brick work for the Queen, so you are doing split bricks aroung the dome. Shhss, it is becoming a monument! I do not have v-crete planned over the insulation, just a scratch, brown and top coat stucco planned.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Why did you chose the square metal wire vs lathe vs chicken wire for your stucco reinforcement. Mulling over what to do for mine.
    I'm not too sure how good of a reinforcement that chicken wire is. Also, it and lathe are not that easy to form into a complex curve. (Still trying to keep that simi-perfect sphere thing going) . I just think that the mesh is a better option in my particular case. I'm not saying that mesh is easy to work with either but, with enough cuts, at least "dooable". I don't know that reinforcement is even needed for stucco directly over vcrete. What I am attempting is to make only a thick scratch and brown coat layer to attach split brick.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Sounds like I have competition in the dumpster diving department. I am always rooting around here at work looking in the scrap metal bins for parts for my oven. On another topic, as I finish the polishing of my counters, insulating comes next. Why did you chose the square metal wire vs lathe vs chicken wire for your stucco reinforcement. Mulling over what to do for mine.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Thank's Russell,
    It's above mine too . I do hope that the dark slurry brings it all out, because the wife didn't exactly like the base colors. At least not for her kitchen counters that I have promised .
    I had been looking for a way to include some glass but, since this style does'nt require a lot of grinding, crushed glass wouldn't work. I may have solved that problem. I found a glass place that let me go through their drop bin. For four bucks I came out with two large pieces of colored glass panes. I think that I can break up a few pieces and just place them in the form. One side of the pane is smooth so the glass will get the same polishing as the counter.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Gulf,

Nice test pours, looking at the bug holes on the third pic a contrasting slurry is going to make the veins show up pretty well. Your counter top design and pour is way above my pay grade.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

I am doing some experimenting with my future counters. I made two small test pours. One with only water added and one with only acrylic liquid fortifier.

I couldn't tell much difference in the workability since this sort of Buddy Rhodes style requires the mix to be stiff.

The air pockets seemed to be more pronounced in the one with the fortifier. My first attempts at veining did not turn out like I wanted. But, the colored sand that I used did leave a a shallow seperation line at the surface. Maybe the veining will show up better when I fill the bug holes with a dark colored slurry.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

I finally put a layer of base coat of stucco on the dome. I figure the vcrete had air dried enough. I thought that I would save a little time and buy some premixed. I noticed that the crap had rocks in it. Probably not a problem for chicken wire but I have 1/2" mesh.

I sifted the premix through a 1/4" screen. There wasn't that many large rocks to get out but, I wouldn't have thought there would be any . It seems to be working fine though. So much for saving time. I'll add a pic for this later.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    Yes Davids is very right in taking it slow thats a big mass to dry out.
    Mine I cured the dome shell then dry insulated ...a bird of a different feather

Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Thanks Dave, for the encouragement.
    As for as the "patience" is conserned, my other responsibilities, and respect for the advice from David S to give it some time, worked together to delay the curing.
    There was a lot of water in my dome as well as the fully insulated vcrete flu and chimney to air out.
    Last edited by Gulf; 09-24-2012, 05:35 PM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by banhxeo76 View Post
    Who Dey? Are we going back to the aints days?
    And brown paper bags are getting more and more difficult to find .

Free Sean Payton

Leave a comment:

Working...
X