Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Build the wall of the dome outside the FB Board.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build the wall of the dome outside the FB Board.

Hello Great Community,

After several answers to my first post about floor insulation and analyzing all the great recommendations received, I decided to purchase the FB Board but my budget only allows me to buy 2 boards instead of 3 that are recommended for a 36" oven.
    My question is if I could place my exterior walls outside the board and if this could represent a serious problem to the insulation, I have the material to cover the dome with the 3" of blanket but the base of the floor will be outside the board.

Re: Build the wall of the dome outside the FB Board.

Originally posted by Joaam View Post
    My question is if I could place my exterior walls outside the board .
    Are you referring to the dome wall? If so, the answer is no. If you are referring to the enclosure wall, then no problem.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Hello Les, actually I was talking about the dome wall, do you think I could use refractary cement in the 3 or 4 inches remaining outside the board?

Comment

Hello Les, actually I was talking about the dome wall, do you think I could use refractary cement in the 3 or 4 inches remaining outside the board?
        Dont do it.
        All the heat from the dome will just flow away to the supporting concrete slab and you will be forever trying to keep the oven warm never mind hot.
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
          Dont do it.
          What Brickie said...
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Joaam, Have you thought about vermiculte or perlite and portland. It may be a cheaper alternative (depending on the sources in your area). Also, are there any sources for Calcium Silicate board in your country? That may be an excellent alternative. I was given enough to insulate under mine, howevert just prior to that I was quoted a price of 87 US dollars plus tax for 27 square feet of 2" Calcium Silicate to pick up at a local industrial insulation supply business. Anything you can find locally, even if you have to pour it thicker would have to be cheaper than the importing/shipping charges. Do anything you can to get full coverage insulation under the floor and dome.
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I would also think that you could fill in around the FB board with vermiculite insulation. You could also consider putting down two inches of vermiculite, laying your FB board on top of that and then filling in around with another 2" of vermiculite. That's assuming that your board is 2" thick which would bring you up to an even surface and give you a total of 4" of vermiculite where you don't have the insulating board.

Comment

Thank you Gulf and nrobert for your comments, What do you all think of a set like this one in the attachment?

* To use the ceramic board on all the dome and the Refractary Cement bed only at the entrance of the oven.

Comment

I have a 4 cu ft bag of zonolite (vermiculite treated with silicone) left over....I wonder how much it would cost to ship it from Texas (76049)? You pay the shipping and its yours. It weighs around 15 pounds or so.

With the vermiculite, you could make an insulative foundation for your oven landing.
                  Lee B.
                  DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

I don't know what to say Lburou, thank you so much for your kind offer, but the problem I have is that the Builder I hired is already working on the foundation and the time to deliver the bag from Texas to Honduras will be too long even if I could pay (Which I can't afford) an expedite delivery option.
                    But let me tell you that I think you definitely are a "Master Builder" as stated in your signature.

Comment

What do you think about using Fiber Glass only at the Oven Landing? or the leftover of the ceramic blanket? and level it to the rest of the board with a layer of refractory cement.
                      Do you think this landing area must be as much insulated as the rest of the dome?
                      I'm talking about the landing just before where the door should be placed.

Comment

Thank you Gulf and nrobert for your comments, What do you all think of a set like this one in the attachment?

* To use the ceramic board on all the dome and the Refractory Cement bed only at the entrance of the oven.
                        Sometimes we do the best we can and roll with the punches

Your attachment illustrates what is probably the best you can do with the materials at hand and within your budget. The landing must be a good foundation for the weight of the entry and flu. If you can find a way to insulate the entry floor from the material directly under it, you will not lose heat as fast as leaving the insulative layer out (refractory cement is not going to be an insulator).

Free advice: As you have someone build the oven for you, monitor every step to comply with the pompeii plans. That is the ONLY way to insure the performance of your oven when it is fineshed. We've read many accounts of 'problems' and 'issues' after the oven is completed and correcting the problems and issues becomes expensive.

With regard to your post #1 above, I recommend you consider placing the dome on the oven floor and make the floor as large as the footprint of your insulation will allow.
                        Lee B.
                        DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

With regard to your post #1 above, I recommend you consider placing the dome on the oven floor and make the floor as large as the footprint of your insulation will allow.
                          Sage advice, indeed.

Comment

Do you think this landing area must be as much insulated as the rest of the dome?
                            I'm talking about the landing just before where the door should be placed.
                            I would also be interested in what people think about the importance of insulating under the oven vent. I did 10" of refractory cement at the front of the pad under the vent as a base for the chimney structure and then started the insulation. The edge of the dome is 3" beyond that, 13" from the front of the oven pad, which gives 3" between the refractory cement and the dome and there is also a joint in the fire brick.

Comment

Originally posted by nrobert View Post
                              I would also be interested in what people think about the importance of insulating under the oven vent.
                              Anywhere that can wick heat away into the concrete slab needs to be insulated so you use less firewood and retain more heat.
                              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                              X