Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 40" WFO in the New Orleans

Originally posted by vtsteve View Post
    Are you going to taper the arch bricks? I think *any* taper you can get makes the arch much more stable (the bricks can't drop out). With the bricks upside-down, I took about 3/16" per side at the top edge, and set the angle so the blade broke out as far down as possible. When it's mortared, you don't notice the untapered bit at the outside of the arch.
    I will only taper two pieces of brick on the outter arch and leave the rest the way it is. However, I do agree that any taper brick for the arch will be more stable such as your build.

To make the mortar stronger or more stable, I use bigger aggregate (broken down firebrick from scrap left over) in addition to sand for the refractory mortar in area that is thick.

I am done with the outside arch and I pretty much used Dino Pizza idea for the vent except mine does not flarred out. However, I did use his "quaker hat" brick cut idea for the transition vent to chimney which is an awesome idea.
    Last edited by banhxeo76; 03-05-2012, 12:16 PM.
    Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

Next is the anchor plate holder brick for round transition to chimney.
      Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

Then I cut some L shape brick to hold the archor plate down.
        Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

Originally posted by banhxeo76 View Post
          Then I cut some L shape brick to hold the archor plate down.
          That is some nice cutting!!!

Chip
          Chip

Comment

Great job! Tu,
            I saw your post at lunch today and wanted to comment then but, took only about 15 minutes to choke down a sandwich and glance at the site. I don't know what you do for a living but there is a little finnished carpenter (cabinet maker) in you. And a damn fine brick layer too.Those L-shaped brick are precision. You are doing a lot of that.
            I can't wait too see what you do with the finnish.
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by banhxeo76 View Post
              Little bit more progress over the weekend. The mock up inner arch looks better than I had anticipated. I just hope that mortar up inner arch will look just as good as the mock up after I have done mortar them together. Hopefully, I can mortar some time brick this week.

I have to clean up all the tapered bricks before I can mortar them. If I don't clean them brick, the mortar won't stick on the brick as well as it should because the dust on the brick will act as released agent which is a bad thing. I hate cleaning but it is necessary.
              Hi there
              Any chance you can let me know the brick dimensions of the bricks in the arch in the third photo? If not, how do you work out what dimensions are required? There seems to be a standard size for arches out there, but I suspect yours are custom sizes.
              Cheers
              JT
              JT
              Willetton, Perth
              Western Australia
              My build: http://woodfiredovenperth.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Originally posted by jab49 View Post
                Hi there
                Any chance you can let me know the brick dimensions of the bricks in the arch in the third photo? If not, how do you work out what dimensions are required? There seems to be a standard size for arches out there, but I suspect yours are custom sizes.
                Cheers
                JT
                JT,

You are correct that my inner arch is custom size for my design. I don't mind sharing my plan because I stole so much ideas from this forum. Please see attached photo for the measurement and I hope that it will be helpful.

Just a note, as you can see in the photo, brick 6 & 7 were taper more than the other bricks to make it fit but I just can't recall the exact measurement. Let me know if you need anything else or futher explanation.
                Last edited by banhxeo76; 03-06-2012, 08:42 AM.
                Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

Very interesting, your arch is the same dimensions (height/width) I am planning for my 39" build

do you happen to recall what was the angle of the triangular bricks at the corners?
                  My build progress
                  My WFO Journal on Facebook
                  My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                    Very interesting, your arch is the same dimensions (height/width) I am planning for my 39" build

do you happen to recall what was the angle of the triangular bricks at the corners?
                    Just cut and the bottom one is for the left side. The flip the top one and turn it around and you got one for the right side. Just very simple.
                    Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

I finished with the vent/chimney. No more cutting and mortaring firebrick for this WFO.

Now, I need to chop my left arm off for the duravent chimney pipe.

Next is to add 2.5" of concrete cladding with reinforcement mesh for more therma mass. Hopefully, I get that done on this Saturday.
                      Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

Don't spend too much time inside of your WFO because you could end up with this!!!
                        Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

Apparently, my WFO has been unfaithful to me. . While I was out of town a few weeks ago, I came back and saw this living thing inside of my WFO and it looks nothing like me.

In spirit of bountygate (Saints' bounty problem), I will award a significant of money(or bread) to whomever can find the father of this living thing in my WFO.

I think a seed which had fall from my neighbor's maple tree fell between the cooking floor and the wall of dorm back when there was still an opening in the dorm.
                          Last edited by banhxeo76; 02-14-2013, 09:27 AM.
                          Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

Hey! my DuraVent did NOT come with any kids. Maybe I paid less? I dunno.

I really like your solution to closing up the vent opening to set the duravent anchor plate. And I can appreciate the way you cut and placed the bricks over the top of the plate with the gap for the vent. It's good you have pictures since some of our best work is forever covered over .

I like your gentle outer arch but I see you have the more traditional shape on the inner arch. That was a good choice: you get the height you need for putting in the taller stuff (ie Turkeys, LaCreset Pots etc) but the elegance of larger "elipse" opening.

Good job TD; I take you are going to build an enclosure with a roof on it?

Cheers, Dino
                            "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                            http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                            http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Originally posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
                              Hey! my DuraVent did NOT come with any kids. Maybe I paid less? I dunno.

Good job TD; I take you are going to build an enclosure with a roof on it?

Cheers, Dino
                              Ohh SNAP! Dino Pizza is on my thread now and that is pretty awesome! Your thread is my go to reference for everything for this project. I just want to thank so much for the thread of your WFO build because I stoled so much idea from you. "Quaker Hat", is an awesome idea because it provide so much stable to the vent/outer arch because it is holding the vent together so well. Dude, you are awesome and any input from you is well appreciated!

You can have my kids if you want them.

Yes, I am planning to build an enclosure with a roof on top of my WFO. However, enclosure will have to wait because I just can't wait to use my WFO first.
                              Last edited by banhxeo76; 06-13-2012, 12:56 PM.
                              Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

I'm glad to know my "quaker hat" design is being used and actually got mentioned in someones post other than mine. And thanks for the complimentary words my thread and build.

It's weird how much money that duravent costs but it gave me great piece of mind to know you can have wood within inches of it and be safe. I used steel studs but then had to put roofing plywood over the top so I could nail in the slate. I just kept the ply-wood 1" from the duravent pipe and stuffed some left over oven insulation in that space.

What's your oven-curing method going to be for drying it out?

thanks again, Dino
                                "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                                http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                                http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Working...
                                X