Filling the gaps with mortar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Filling the gaps with mortar

Did you try to point it up after you fired the oven ( to dry it out) or right after you closed the dome?
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

Gudday
      The ovens was definitely fired ... I burned the ply form out
      Regards dave
      Measure twice
      Cut once
      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
      My Door
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

That's what I thought...the mortar wouldn't stay because the joints were dirty.
        Last edited by stonecutter; 11-17-2013, 05:55 AM.
        Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Best practice and common sense says tuck all joints. If it falls out, try again.

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
            That's what I thought...the mortar wouldn't stay because the joints were dirty.
            Gudday
            That's the question was I able to clean the joints enough, hard to remember now, but the mortar certainly didnt take.
            Regards dave
            Measure twice
            Cut once

My Build
            My Door

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
              Gudday
              That's the question was I able to clean the joints enough, hard to remember now, but the mortar certainly didnt take.
              Regards dave
              One way to clean it would be a looong hot clearing fire, and then brush the joints out well. Any particles that are on the masonry will hinder the bond, as you have experienced.
              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Gudday
                Yes Im pretty sure I did that. I was conscious of having clean joints and also used a paintbrush and water . I only did a small section in a corner as I didn't want to have anything in my food
                Regards dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once

My Build
                My Door

Comment

It is somewhat important to have a relatively smooth surface without exposed edges and corners. They (edges and corners) will concentrate the heat and will fail sooner than the rest of the oven. A small thing and not one to worry about, it is just best practice to fill them.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                    You should fill all the gaps. Some may fall out, but most will stay, and if it is a big gap you should fill it again.
                    Gudday
                    Yes I agree it would be best practice but better practice would be not to get into that situation in the first place. I'm thankfully that these ovens are so forgiving in design and works regardless of my poor masonry skills
                    Regards dave
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once

My Build
                    My Door

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                      I have also been involved with a sand mold. One day for arch and 4 or 5 levels up. Next day sand mold, brick over, keystone in remove sand after a beer and clean up the inside. No gapes either. But I might add it was a paver dome as well so the thinness of the pavers contributed to the smallness of the gapes till high in the dome the mortar space was bigger.
                      Regards dave
                      Regards dave
                      I'm tempted to try the sand form on the dome my mate wants me to build for him. Somewhere, on this forum I think, there was a link to an Italian professional build. It looked like they did a soldier course, then laid the rest of their bricks dry on top of a sand mould, just dropped them in place with some gaps, then just poured some sort of mortar over it. It'd be one technique where it would actually be beneficial if the gaps were pretty big, so it was easy to work the mortar in.
                      It would certainly be a lot quicker. With the IT, I was always reluctant to start a new course of bricks until the course below had set up.

Comment

Gudday mick
                        Yes the watery mortar was used but only on the last bricks at the dome apex.
                        The thing was it was very fast to build and the main thing apart from the way it was built was there was 2 of us. I was there for moral support rather than my bricklaying skills . All I did was to shape pavers in 1/2 and pass them over and mix mortar. A stack of empty pet bottles was included in the sand so removing it was easy. It has to removed early so the mortar doesn't set for a good clean up.
                        It turned out to be a great little oven, my mates patient and let the bits dry and cure correctly so it has no cracks to speak of.
                        If I was to build again I would use this method and pavers as well . It was efficient and cheap to build.
                        Regards dave
                        Measure twice
                        Cut once

My Build
                        My Door

Comment

Originally posted by wotavidone View Post
                          I'm tempted to try the sand form on the dome my mate wants me to build for him. Somewhere, on this forum I think, there was a link to an Italian professional build. It looked like they did a soldier course, then laid the rest of their bricks dry on top of a sand mould, just dropped them in place with some gaps, then just poured some sort of mortar over it. It'd be one technique where it would actually be beneficial if the gaps were pretty big, so it was easy to work the mortar in.
                          It would certainly be a lot quicker. With the IT, I was always reluctant to start a new course of bricks until the course below had set up.
                          I don't know if there is a thread like that on here, but there is one over at Pizza Making that documents a number of Neapolitan oven builds. The material poured into the brick work is a type of refractory.

A sand form is arguably the oldest method used for oven building. It works great, give it a try.
                          Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                            I don't know if there is a thread like that on here, but there is one over at Pizza Making that documents a number of Neapolitan oven builds. The material poured into the brick work is a type of refractory.
                            Reckon you are right, that is probably where I saw it, I think.
                            Am I right in thinking the bricks go in completely mortarless?
                            Wonder if it could be done with homebrew?

Comment

Originally posted by wotavidone View Post
                              Reckon you are right, that is probably where I saw it, I think.
                              Am I right in thinking the bricks go in completely mortarless?
                              Wonder if it could be done with homebrew?
                              Almost all the build pictures I saw show the courses being mortared in....at least, they had bed mortar, which would keep the brick face aligned with the sand form. Some appeared to have an open head joint, to be filled when the pourable is applied.

One oven looked like it was dry set (hard to tell by the picture angle), maybe the brick were held by wedges until the pourable was applied.

I don't see why you couldn't use the 3:1:1:1 or something similar, as long as you know that it isn't the same as refractory.

Maybe consider reducing the portland content while increasing the lime and clay. Also, you should use larger aggregate for the pourable mix, as the bigger gaps would require it. You could actually make a good grog mix from when you cut the firebrick, and leave the small bits that are normally sieved out.
                              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Hey Dave, Stonecutter and TScarborough, you guys are great! I did what my control-freak dictated. Against the majority opinion, I hunkered into that oven and filled those gaps! I feel good about it, and did a darn good job, but only time will tell how my patch went. I can just see it now...all those guests biting into chunks of fallen mortar. More garlic, I say! They'll never notice. Thanks, you guys, for helping me out.

Comment

Working...
                                X