Filling the gaps with mortar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filling the gaps with mortar

Ok some I'm a newbie and have just finished the dome (see my build Scotty 36 sunshine coast, Australia) I'm not a master brick layer, I'm a helicopter pilot. Some of my joins on the oven side are not ideal, not terrible maybe 5mm gap here and there, can I just climb inside and use the same mortar to fill the gaps from the inside? I'm using a mix of fire clay/cement/lime/sand so far to stick the dome together. I have heard that cement can break down under xtreame heat, so would my planed mix work?!?
    The mix is 10 sand/6 fire clay/3 lime/2 cement.
    Thanks
    Scotty

Re: Filling the gaps with mortar

The consensus seems to be that any breakdown of the Portland cement is compensated for by the lime.
    The usual mix is sand, fireclay, lime, cement 3:1:1:1 Your brew is pretty close, but has more fireclay. Too much clay can create excessive shrinkage, but you should be ok.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

question about the heat could a person add more lime to the mix maybe like
      3:1:2:1 to help with the heat more ?????
      sigpic

Mike

Comment

Hi, I have just closed the dome on my 37-in Pompeii, and notice some mighty large gaps in the inside joints. Did you end up filling them, (I'm using refractory mortar), and if so, how? Did it work out well? Appreciate any responses!

Comment

Gudday
          I had the same and couldn't help myself and disregarded good advice and crawled in and patch a small section. They were right it didn't work and fell out.
          Just live with it,its a dome and is strong for that reason not pretty brickwork.
          Regards dave
          Measure twice
          Cut once
          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
          My Door
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Thanks Dave...are you sure?? I don't know if I can stand it. These are some pretty big gaps. Thought I'd use a pastry bag or a huge syringe to squish some mortar in...sigh...

Comment

So Scotty,

I have to ask! What's harder?

Flying a helicopter or building a wood fired oven?

Comment

Originally posted by robinwham View Post
                Thanks Dave...are you sure?? I don't know if I can stand it. These are some pretty big gaps. Thought I'd use a pastry bag or a huge syringe to squish some mortar in...sigh...
                Gudday

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	553.7 KB
ID:	302457

No one sees it anyway so you will learn to live with it. And because you introduced some some stress relief points you shouldn't get any cracks!
                Only the real tight builds seem to gets visible cracks
                Regards dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once

My Build
                My Door

Comment

OK Dave, I don't feel so bad (although I think your "inside" looks better than mine). My concern was heat retention without all the gaps full of mortar. But clearly, you're the boss here...nice "white" dome! I can't wait to fire the oven up (not quite there yet...)!

Comment

I'm a little bemused by gaps, especially when using the homebrew.
                    Why don't people just butter the brick with so much mortar that when they set it in place the excess squeezes out through the gaps, then scrape the excess off with the trowel as they go? Worked for me.
                    Only time I see this not working is if the dome is built on a sand form instead of using an IT

Comment

Originally posted by wotavidone View Post
                      I'm a little bemused by gaps, especially when using the homebrew.
                      Why don't people just butter the brick with so much mortar that when they set it in place the excess squeezes out through the gaps, then scrape the excess off with the trowel as they go? Worked for me.
                      Only time I see this not working is if the dome is built on a sand form instead of using an IT
                      Gudday Mick
                      You missed two.... Ply form like I used and styrofoam form. There all in the plans. Which are unchanged from when I built I might add.
                      I have also been involved with a sand mold. One day for arch and 4 or 5 levels up. Next day sand mold, brick over, keystone in remove sand after a beer and clean up the inside. No gapes either. But I might add it was a paver dome as well so the thinness of the pavers contributed to the smallness of the gapes till high in the dome the mortar space was bigger.
                      Regards dave
                      Regards dave
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once

My Build
                      My Door

Comment

Hi, w,

So, true confession, I AM TERRIBLE WITH MORTAR! No matter how I tried, I could never get the right amount on the brick...coupled with the decreasing visibiity and increasing bevel of the bricks as I neared the top of the dome. I did use an IT, but that did not help my mortar skills. Thanks for writing.

Comment

You should fill all the gaps. Some may fall out, but most will stay, and if it is a big gap you should fill it again.

Comment

For larger open joints it is better to use larger sieve sand in the mortar mix.
                            Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                            John Ruskin

Comment

Gudday
                              Sorry guys ,but I have to disagree on the one . I've tried it the mortar wants to fall out. I can live with it now that I have cooked so much in my oven, and it didnt fall down
                              Regards dave
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once

My Build
                              My Door

Comment

Working...
                              X