Gas conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gas conversion

I would like to say that changing a wood oven into a gas one doesn't make any sense anyway. These things are made to use wood. Gas changes the flavor of the food. If you were going to use gas to make pizza than use the oven in your house. I have seen and eaten from the pizza ovens that have been made for gas and they are not the same. The flame just licks up the wall in the back, it's just for show. The gas changes the crust in a funny way. It does this weird caramelizing thing on the crust, and just gives it a faint gassy smell.

-I say why ruin an oven by putting gas in it? You got to work for that smokey wood flavor, or just use the oven in the house (or put in a bad ass deck oven). One can make pretty good pizza with just a pizza stone in a normal home oven.

-But that's just me,
    Mike

Comment

Using wood is also "carbon neutral".

Comment

I think it's only carbon neutral if the wood decomposes naturally. Burning it I think is a different thing. But I don't really care about that anyway, it's all about the food.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          I think it's only carbon neutral if the wood decomposes naturally. Burning it I think is a different thing. But I don't really care about that anyway, it's all about the food.

Mike
          It is still considered carbon neutral as the wood is carbon already "in the system", unlike fossil fuels which are locked away unless withdrawn and burnt. Allowing the wood to decompose rather than burn is probably preferable because there is les CO2 being transferred to the atmosphere.

That still leaves wood as a fuel preferable to using gas or oil as a fuel or electricity (gas or coal fired).
          Last edited by david s; 03-17-2012, 06:09 PM.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
            Allowing the wood to decompose rather than burn is probably preferable because there is les CO2 being transferred to the atmosphere.
            It's snowing right now, fire up your ovens The dino's didn't burn wood and they are gone. I'm with Mike - lets eat!

Also - RT is right on!
            Check out my pictures here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
              It's snowing right now, fire up your ovens The dino's didn't burn wood and they are gone. I'm with Mike - lets eat!

Also - RT is right on!
              I wonder where we'd be if the dinosaurs had discovered fire and the wheel. They might have gone on to discover pizza too.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                I wonder where we'd be if the dinosaurs had discovered fire and the wheel. They might have gone on to discover pizza too.
                That's damn funny Dave. Considering they were carnivores and herbivores, I am sure the pies would look the same.
                Check out my pictures here:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

-Okay David, your right about the neutral thing. I was thinking on what was more "green" for the environment.
                  -But I still say gas ovens/grills suck compared to anything cooked with wood/charcoal. Isn't that why we spend so much time on this forum?

Comment

On the one hand our ovens might be considered carbon neutral so therefore better than something that use fossil fuels, but the downside is that we put some nasty emissions into the atmosphere via wood smoke. Regarding wood fired for cooking, I think we are all convinced that it is superior, although once your oven has reached a good temp there should be virtually no smoke if it is working efficiently, I think it is the very high temp we can achieve that makes the WFO superior for cooking pizza. If doing a roast you need place a little fuel on the coals and seal the oven so there is no flame and the thing smokes inside, deliberately making it burn inefficiently.

Comment

Working...
                    X