Dtherr Build in Mississippi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dtherr Build in Mississippi

got Bad news today they will not be able to get my bricks going out of business , i have located some in Hattisburg 50 cents more per brick

Comment

I hate to hear that. Did you price both Boral and Columbia Block & Brick in Hattiesburg?
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Columbia Block & Brick is the one i was given by TRI STATE so will be there at 10am when they open they have a 4.5x9x3 medium duty mine were 4.5x9x2 3/8 medium duty so should still work defo dont want to switch to low duty when i got 2/3 built only 5 rows left to close dome plus chimney

Comment

Got some bricks laid this weekend , the last 3/4 rows will take time (gravity). Next one I build will make a dual indispensible tool . Got the vent arch built while waiting on previous bricks to set up.

Comment

Looks great,
            If you got your brick in Hattiesburg, you were in my neck of the woods. Looks like you will be knotching the top corners of your door. When I got to those rows that you are on now, I was using sticks cut to fit to hold the brick in place as I moved on. That is until I got tired of that and finally decided to use a platform on a jack for the last 3 rows and plug. A dual I.T. would be nice .
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Yes no way around notching, I was well into it when i realized that and decided notching wouldnt be so bad .

Comment

Cut up coat hangers and bend them into a j shape such that they fit the brick and extend on the outside leg for a couple of inches, and add string and brick if needed (not needed for homebrew/heatstop). A mason from Tanzania showed me this method on another board, and he is building outrageous arches using junk brick and clay based mortar. If you look closely you will see the wire and brick in this picture.

Comment

Nice Thank you for that information Tscarborough,that is so simple will try that not this weekend but next , Wedding to attend next weekend so oven takes back burner according to the wife

Comment

That is a cool idea TScarborough ,
                    My guess, is that they are building a cistern in the photo.

Comment

That is a cistern, some of the other stuff he builds is incredible. Search for "fundi brick arch" and it should bring up his stuff.

Comment

TScarborough,
                        I studied the idea a little further. It is brilliant!. Quick to attach, and it doesn't need to be a perfect balance due to the right angle turns made in the string.
                        DTHERR, We will be waiting on the feed back .

Comment

DTHERR,
                          If you are planning on using vermiculite for your dome, you might want to go ahead and buy some up. Several weeks ago I bought 3 bags for 22 bucks each. It had gone up from 17 since the first bags that I had bought for my hearth insulation. This morning I went and got one more bag for my dome just to make sure that I did not run out this weekend. $24.95 a bag, before tax . The nursery says that it is costing them more every time they reorder.

Comment

ty for the tip , sorry been away for last couple weeks vacation, kids ,work , u name it all have conspired against me and my build , i have played with it and it definitly works make sure you use good string and smaller bricks .coat hangers work the best , i tried several other materials Ladur wire included getting the right bend in the wire is critical and the coat hangers does just that ,, although a second pair of hands would make it alot easier ...

Comment

Working...
                            X