36" Pompeii build in NY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 36" Pompeii build in NY

Here are some photos of the door. My vent is 18" deep, and there's no taper front to back, so the vent width and top profile are constant. The bottoms of the handles act as cams to keep the top edge of the door close to the vent arch, up to a 2.25" (one brick) gap at the bottom (then it jams against the arch, for safety's sake). I put the handles outboard enough that I can tip the door forward and lay it flat to add wood or move the fire. For now, I'm using a firebrick wedge to hold the door at the desired angle.

Comment

thanks Steve.

The cut on the handles really makes your door work. I needed the images. I"ll try to work up something similar.

My plan was to form a door with a hollow, insulate-able, insert door that would fit into the inner arch with a good seal for bread baking, but a simpler door to help get up to pizza temps faster is really useful too.

Comment

I finally got some finish work done. The oven has been quite functional, including 15 consecutive days of cooking when we had no power after "Super-storm" Sandy.

I poured and polished a countertop, built an outer arch from local cobbles. applied a 3 coat stucco system over the hardiboard and installed a steel ceiling with lights and trim. The ceiling, lights and trim are not in the pics.

-Special thanks to many, including vtsteve, Laku, Tscarborough, nissanneill, Neil2, Faith In Virginia, and Utahbeehiver

I still have to finish the base and build a better door.

-then we'll move and I'll have to build another one.

Comment

Blue Bird,

Congrats on the final product. Very interesting that the oven became a necessity rather than a hobby during the Sandy Storm. I have to admit, my finish work on my oven has really slowed since it became fully insualted and functional. Great looking concrete landing.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
          X