Dannos Limey Build (Suffolk UK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dannos Limey Build (Suffolk UK)

Very nice rustic looking dome! Looking good. I hope to be where you are after I get back from vacation. Nice work. How did the form work out for you for the last few rings? I am debating using this method or not.

Dave
    Album https://plus.google.com/photos/10154...CKP9op6ilID7eA

Comment

Thanks for your kind words!

The form worked out okay really, with the only downside being you couldn't see the internal face of the bricks to clean and point. I covered the form in polythene to keep the water off the ply which compounded the issue further really. Speed wise, and for ease of bricklaying the form is the way to go. I went at it pretty "gung ho" as i was fed up with brick cutting by then but in hindsight, a little more forethought and more tapered cuts would have been nearer my level of perfection for this dome. Still pretty happy with the end result though, it fell into my "rustic" category!

Good luck with your ongoing build.

Comment

Bookem,

Nothing wrong with the rustic category, I am sure the pizzas taste the same.............fun build to watch. Keep the pics coming.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Now...where were we...

Lots of rain here, but i've kept going where possible on areas around the oven.

Made a rain cap for the chimney flue from the front panel of one of the storage heaters, that gave up its bricks...

Just a little bit more work on the oven area, then start work on the chimney vent and entrance! I've knocked up a support for the brickwork based upon the support for the oven arch, so i'm ready to go when i can!
          Last edited by Bookemdanno; 10-08-2012, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Now...where were we...

Lots of rain here, but i've kept going where possible on areas around the oven.

Made a rain cap for the chimney flue from the front panel of one of the storage heaters, that gave up its bricks...

Just a little bit more work on the oven area, then start work on the chimney vent and entrance! I've knocked up a support for the brickwork based upon the support for the oven arch, so i'm ready to go when i can!

Comment

Hey Bookem,

Nice little combo pizza/cooking/bbq area. Has a warm feeling to it. Good job on metal craft for rain cap. I guess you really need one where you are at
              Russell

Comment

Hi Russell,
                The rain cap would need to be several yards across really!

Don't bother with the Acid dude, your dome looks just peachy!

Comment

Very nice!!! Very nice dome. Great work. Quick question. How did you clean up the excess mortar from the form? I am going to need to do the same and planning on using the grinder....but the dust is most likely going to be awful since the dome is fully enclosed.

Dooahhh...If I bothered to read prior posts, I would have seen how you did it. I used Heatstop 50 and am going to need more than my trowel to knock that stuff off.
                  Last edited by flyfisherx; 07-24-2012, 06:54 AM.
                  Album https://plus.google.com/photos/10154...CKP9op6ilID7eA

Comment

Hey Danno,
                    That looks really cool! Perfect place for hot pie and cool beverages.
                    You send me the rain and i will send you my roof. I think you need it more that me. I am around the same progress on my corner build and i really like your brick work on the base and surrounding area. Keep it up and let me know when the roof gets there.
                    Tracy
                    Texman Kitchen
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Flyfisher...My Hydraulic Lime takes a while in its "green" stage, so i could easily cut it back with the edge of my little trowel.

I think some suitable PPE, and a grinder is the only way for you, my friend! Sorry! In the UK, we can get sorta flat, 40 grit flapped grinding cups which would be useful, perhaps?
                      We use them to re-dress brickwork, clean off paint and bad graffiti, etc. They fit onto a 110mm 41/2" Mini Grinder.

Diluted Muratic Acid may do it, but it'd be more of a nightmare with your head stuck in the oven and your shoulders blocking any free passage of ventilation!
                      whoa...nasty head rush!!!

Thanks Tracy, i'm very pround of my little outdoor kitchen, this far. Plenty more to do!

Comment

Howdy y'all...

Not much more oven stuff, but oven environment stuff been added.

The wife has lent her help over the last couple of weeks to provide a new building material for the walls. She just managed to keep up, and didn't slow me down too much! ;D

Cleared up a bit and took some more progress photos...

The view from the back door...

The garden back towards the Oven...

Beside "the area"...
                        Last edited by Bookemdanno; 10-08-2012, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Topped off the countertops...

Wasn't gonna bother around the oven for now, but had a little spare mortar and time. I'll have to cover up when the oven layers go on! Also finished the oven landing tiled surface.

Last arty farty shot...

Thats it for now folks, just fitted the Gas BBQ in the hole opposite the oven tonight. I'm going to go for a full (ish) fire up Friday Night...wish me luck! This is for practice as saturday is my sons 6th Birthday as he'd like a few pizzas for his mates to disperse all over the bouncy castle!

Comment

Hey Bookem,

Really like that wall with the bottle end in it (my guess) nice touch. Nice BBQ/Pizza area.
                            Russell

Comment

Had my first "do" at the weekend and as a result, rushed the oven seasoning... cracks... whoops! None penetrate into the inside, but the outside resembles a "soccerball" as you say over there. So, i'll just gouge them out a bit, and re-point. All that Co2 from the fire will only make the Lime stronger! But as for the Pizza....heck!...why bother with shop bought, Pizza Hutt, the local Kebab shop or Dominos!

I expect these are more par for the course, but most don't fire up until their domes are hidden under blankies and Vermiculite, so how would they know?
                              All who met the oven, or one of my mis-formed, slightly charred, sometimes overloaded little pizzas absolutley loved them. "More" they exclaimed!
                              A couple now want an oven for themselves, with my help.
                              Cheers y'all, thank you for your help!

Comment

Hi Dannos

Your oven looks great

I am just getting started to build an oven myself ( i still laying a terrace for it to go on )

I am also Bungay based would it be OK to have a quick look at your oven before I get started?

Regards Mike (blackdogantiques@gmail.com )

Comment

Working...
                                X