Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stuck at chimney. Need pictures and instruction.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stuck at chimney. Need pictures and instruction.

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    If you mean adding another layer to your arch outside of your arch. My answer is no.
    One of my plans that I had for my oven was for a traditonal style vent arch but, with a brick lined chimney as I have. It would have been a much smaller transition than I have now but, (IMO) would have helped transfer the weight of a large chimney around the arch and down to the hearth.

It adds as much to buttressing as it adds to transferring the weght downward.
    Thanks Gulf! I do have something like this in mind since I'm now using a clay flue, honestly I really should do a LITTLE planning! This flying by the seat my pants is wearing me out! Your picture is very similar to what I have in mind...hopefully I can squeeze out enough room on my already too short hearth to get that all on there.

I was referring to the platform where the flue will sit, the bricks are cut 1 inch thick x 2 1/2 wide there, except the front, they will have to be 1 1/2 inch wide since I don't have the space off the front to make the entry any longer and still get my facing bricks on (augh..planning...and measuring!) I was worried that platform might not be strong enough if I didn't reinforce it with another row of thin brick, but it sounds like it will be pretty sturdy as is.

I got my new blade, so I can work this out tomorrow. I may have a chimney soon! Ahh...the finish work should be much easier and less stressful!
    My oven album is here

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Xene View Post
      Ahh...the finish work should be much easier and less stressful!
      You have been punched all the way to optimism. I admire your determination. You really are doing a fantastic job!
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Xene
        I was referring to the platform where the flue will sit, the bricks are cut 1 inch thick x 2 1/2 wide there, except the front, they will have to be 1 1/2 inch wide since I don't have the space off the front to make the entry any longer and still get my facing bricks on (augh..planning...and measuring!) I was worried that platform might not be strong enough if I didn't reinforce it with another row of thin brick, but it sounds like it will be pretty sturdy as is.
        There is a character in Southpark called Captain Hindisght (a "superhero") and when people call him after a catastrophe he tells them not how to correct it but what they should've done in the first place. I feel a bit like Captain hindsight making this point, but you have narrow bricks at the front and also narrow cuts at the back of the vent. To me the ones at the back serve no useful purpose and will just inhibit the flow of chimney gases. If it isn't too late I would double the width of the bricks at the front and take away those at the back. You could still use the dome entry arch as flue support at the back. I am sure it will work OK though so I wouldn't lose sleep over it. I would be reluctant to include decorative brick and the firebrick together as a flue support. The decorative brick could get very hot unless there was some separation using rope or silcone or both especially at the top of the arch.

God Bless You Captain Hindsight!! (Season 14, Episode 11) - Video Clips - South Park Studios
        Last edited by Amac; 07-01-2012, 12:07 PM.
        Amac
        Link to my WFO build

Comment

I think they have a purpose of stabilizing the vent chamber. Without them I think the vent arch would have space to move towards the the vent entry.
          Without them, if the mortar would ever fail, there would be nothing supporting the bricks from moving to that empty space and possibly collapsing the whole vent.

Comment

Originally posted by Laku View Post
            I think they have a purpose of stabilizing the vent chamber. Without them I think the vent arch would have space to move towards the the vent entry.
            Without them, if the mortar would ever fail, there would be nothing supporting the bricks from moving to that empty space and possibly collapsing the whole vent.
            I don't know laku - while you are building it yes I agree - but once the vent is completed there should be support from the higher bricks in the vent pushing outwards. (I hope so anyway since that is how I built my vent )
            Amac
            Link to my WFO build

Comment

I don't think weight from above will add additional support in other way than the added mortar. Except in places where the arch is continuous.
              In places where it's not, the weight tries to push bricks down (gravity). And because the only way they can move is into the vent that's where they'll try to go.

Of course that's all relative to the mass above, so if it isn't too much I think it will not break.

Comment

Hey fellas, I have been busy on this...well, as busy as one can be in 100+ weather. Last week when I set the flue my outdoor thermometer registered 107!

But I'm still moving forward... I got the chimney edges ground down. What do you think?
                I poured the right side counter top yesterday. I can't finish the chimney without the counters in place since I don't have support to the ground for the weight of the brick. The counters will provide the support I need to finish the brick to the ground so I can keep building. Can't wait to take the frame down and start grinding those down to smooth.
                Last edited by Xene; 07-19-2012, 08:36 AM.
                My oven album is here

sigpic

Comment

No more belly aching about temperatures here on my end. Not sure how you do it.....
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Hi Xene - have another look it's actually almost 114 - that is about 45?C - that is hot (I wanted a smiley with beads of sweat but.. doesn't seem to be one)

We have been moving here towards decimal systems in fits and starts for the last 40 years. The temperature seems to be the one adopted most readily because it makes so much more sense and Celsius is so much easier than Fahrenheit.

I couldn't bring myself to gring down the arch edges - the best one I saw with bevelled edges on the arches was aceves - his brick bevels seemed to retain that smooth patina that you never see on the cut faces of the bricks - but you did a pretty good job.
                    Amac
                    Link to my WFO build

Comment

Looks good, Xene.

Comment

Thanks guys! I could grind it more, but it was kind of painful, a little like being sandblasted. Took me only a minute or two to realize I needed full gear from head to toe...and I worked quickly in this heat dressed like that. I kind of liked the grinder after a bit though, so going at it again if you all think it needs it doesn't seem to bad.

As for staying cool in this horrid heat, a sprinkler with a mist setting is a must and LOTS of water. I keep well hydrated and my entire work area is in the shade, I have a number of umbrellas and a pergola set up. Working in the sun would just be crazy!

I'm seeing a turning point now, it is kind of exciting!
                        My oven album is here

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Amac View Post
                          Hi Xene - have another look it's actually almost 114 - that is about 45?C - that is hot (I wanted a smiley with beads of sweat but.. doesn't seem to be one)
                          Oh my, you are right! It wasn't that hot in actuality that day, I think it only got to 103, didn't feel a bit over 95 though...HA!
                          My oven album is here

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Laku View Post
                            I don't think weight from above will add additional support in other way than the added mortar. Except in places where the arch is continuous.
                            In places where it's not, the weight tries to push bricks down (gravity). And because the only way they can move is into the vent that's where they'll try to go.

Of course that's all relative to the mass above, so if it isn't too much I think it will not break.
                            Laku - meant to reply to before now (sorry Xene) - the thing is there are only ever a couple of bricks before you get to the top of the arches - and then you put a "saddle" brick on front and back arches. They will take any extra weight if you go higher so there is never much pressure and you can build as high as you want. That's my (retrospective) theory anyway.
                            Amac
                            Link to my WFO build

Comment

Beautiful...well done!

Comment

Since this is my thread, I can take it a bit off topic right? I got that counter poured and my arches built over the weekend - it was no small task! Those granite chunks are really heavy, and yes...I did it all by myself! HA! I had to show it off, I really like how it turned out. There is still brick left to fill in around those arches, but this is really starting to take on the look I was after - oh and a little acid will be needed to clean it all up in the end, but those are just little details.
                                My oven album is here

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X