Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• irelande5
    replied
    Re: Pat's 42" WFO build begins...I think!

[ATTACH]31121[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31122[/ATTACH]

Leave a comment:

• irelande5
    replied

Completed the last 3 courses, these were real hard as the angles/bevel were extreme, center piece end up being 5" in diameter, so I just used 2 pieces cut from 2 full bricks. I made a form for the last piece, so that suggested somewhere, really helped.

Pretty happy with the way everything came out, its not the prettiest girl on the block, but she is my girl! Really liked the duravent, real easy to install, sure I went over board, embedded it in mortar, tap con it down, then topped sides with full bricks mortared again.

Will start facade for front/chimney next month. Glad to have the week break to let this dry out before curing, I'm really beat! All in all I have 3 months build time (thanks to my wife schedule as teacher, and mine as a firefighter), otherwise it would be more like 5 or 6 months. Really enjoyed the process, what a great site, feel blessed to have the mentors showing me the ropes, especially Russell!

Here are the pics......

.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0312.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	487.1 KB
ID:	290928

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0313.jpg
Size:	432.2 KB
ID:	290929

Name:	IMAG0317.jpg
Size:	465.7 KB
ID:	290930

Name:	IMAG0320.jpg
Size:	506.1 KB
ID:	290931

Name:	IMAG0322.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	475.6 KB
ID:	290932

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

I think Gianni (Octoforno) towards the top rounded his bricks to get an almost perfect joint. Cutting the bricks smaller also reduces it.
    It was a fairly quick process to slowly drag the face of each brick across the rim of the diamond blade to leave a concave surface not only top-to-bottom, but also side-to-side. This effectively removed any upper-brick hanging over the adjoining bricks below. The concave radius got progressively smaller with each successively-higher course.

Leave a comment:

• irelande5
    replied

Funny stuff Jim...I am a sci fi geek too

Leave a comment:

• jimkramer
    replied

Great build! I admire your use of the mason string, no IT. Maybe I'll try it for a couple courses, see how it goes. Funny, the way you worked on chains going up before completing the one below reminds me of the partially rebuilt Death Star in Return of the Jedi. I am such a nerd. I swear, I don't have action figures.

Leave a comment:

• irelande5
    replied

[ATTACH]31062[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31063[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31064[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31065[/ATTACH]

Leave a comment:

• irelande5
    replied

Thanks Russell for the feedback on the droops, will try all your methods since I have 3 or less courses to go. Here are the latest pics, excuse the arch, its not the prettiest thing. I found the arch to be the most difficult part of the project yet, not sure why, but it really kicked my butt around.

Name:	IMAG0302.jpg
Size:	612.8 KB
ID:	290874

Name:	IMAG0303.jpg
Size:	585.7 KB
ID:	290875

Name:	IMAG0304.jpg
Size:	475.3 KB
ID:	290876

Name:	IMAG0306.jpg
Size:	812.0 KB
ID:	290877

Leave a comment:

• irelande5
    replied

Well I survived the arches, but not without being scathed a little. I read about and prepared for (by tilting up more, thanks Amac), but I most not have done it enough because now I have the droops! That bothers me, I will right on level all the way to the arches, but I think I know where I made my mistake. I worked up on the back side of the oven, continuing courses up as I delayed on arches, otherwise I would have caught this because I check with level after every course. Any word on how to best correct this, will this affect the stability of the oven? I have finished course 10, this is where I finally caught up after building up to arches.

Good new I have the duravent flange on and its real level, guess there is hope for me yet. Will post new pics tommorrow. Take care all!

Leave a comment:

• irelande5
    replied

Thanks Amac and Russell, I will push forward and nit worry about it. Take care

Leave a comment:

• Amac
    replied

Originally posted by irelande5 View Post
    [ATTACH]30818[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]30819[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]30820[/ATTACH]

Starting to get a slight overhang on some bricks as they sit on directly on top of the brick below, as the course circumference gets tighter. Also noted as the courses increase, and the bevel gets more pronounced, and the angle the brick is sitting up off the brick below (determined by string) the brick corners are touching but the center of the brick is not, slight gap as it is lifted to proper angle (forgive my lack of terms!).

I imagine these 2 issues are part of the process, but maybe some bevel the flat part of the brick as it lays on the brick below, making the center area slightly taller then corners?

Anyway, I am pretty happy with the way it has been going, I have fairly good brick to brick contact in the oven, got some bricks that I noticed were chipped after I put in, that drives me nuts.

Thanks for all the help folks!
    Yeah it's normal Pat - and comes from trying to force rectangular bricks into a spherical shape. I think Gianni (Octoforno) towards the top rounded his bricks to get an almost perfect joint. Cutting the bricks smaller also reduces it.

On reflection that effect probably contributes to the "droop" most of us got when we joined the dome to the arch - and explains why the attaching brick needs to be tilted up a little at the arch end.

Leave a comment:

• irelande5
    replied

Good to know Russell, your opinions have gotten me to this point!! Thanks as always

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Pat,

Had the same question on the overhang when I did my build. Tscar, said it is the way it is. So I just moved on. I guess if I was anal about it I could of taken a grinder to it but for the most part left the overhang as is. I am working with 5.25" wide bricks so the "chord" overhang length was more pronounced. My unsolicited opinion.

Leave a comment:

• irelande5
    replied

Name:	IMAG0286.jpg
Size:	554.7 KB
ID:	290663

Name:	IMAG0287.jpg
Size:	488.5 KB
ID:	290664

Name:	IMAG0289.jpg
Size:	477.9 KB
ID:	290665

Starting to get a slight overhang on some bricks as they sit on directly on top of the brick below, as the course circumference gets tighter. Also noted as the courses increase, and the bevel gets more pronounced, and the angle the brick is sitting up off the brick below (determined by string) the brick corners are touching but the center of the brick is not, slight gap as it is lifted to proper angle (forgive my lack of terms!).

I imagine these 2 issues are part of the process, but maybe some bevel the flat part of the brick as it lays on the brick below, making the center area slightly taller then corners?

Anyway, I am pretty happy with the way it has been going, I have fairly good brick to brick contact in the oven, got some bricks that I noticed were chipped after I put in, that drives me nuts.

Thanks for all the help folks!

Leave a comment:

• irelande5
    replied

Completed course 6 and 7, 8, starting 9 today. Still no forms yet, not sure how long this will last, been getting contact, holding it and then using string to determine pitch of brick, pressing down to get proper pitch, removing excess mortar and moving one to next. It goes pretty quick, but I am using a lot of mortar, thinking I will have at least 4 bags of heat stop gone, wow, thats a lot more than what my brick cost! See why people roll their own. After getting a center brick started, I work left and right in 2 brick sequence, been working out great so far.

Looking like my interior height will be closer to 20" instead of 21. Starting arches on Tuesday (delayed this week), hopefully have them complete by next Friday. If all goes well I should be complete with a functional oven by Sept 1, then start working on veneer.
    Last edited by irelande5; 08-08-2012, 09:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• irelande5
    replied

Thanks Mentor Russell!! I will take all the help I can get. Take care, Pat

Leave a comment:

Working...
X