Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chirobuggy's 42inch oven build

and more.

One of my Chocolate labs thinks he will be able to use the oven storage for a dog house! Humm not a bad idea since I have other wood storage nearby...we will see

Comment

Good looking stand...can't blame the dog for wanting to take possession. I am not an expert but if I had the material for 4 inches I would go with 4". Insulation is your friend.

I also went 5 blocks high. Someday...when my oven is finished I think I will like the extra height. Looks great, I look forward to seeing your progress.
      Earth's crammed with heaven, But only he who sees takes off his shoes - E. B. B.

Comment

Buggy,

Nice lookin base............Go with the 4" of CaSi, just stagger the seams between layers and you're golden.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks Rob I got to check out your build.

I am leaning toward the 4 inches thanks for the push Russell. I have been saving info from your build a lot. thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by chirobuggy View Post
            One of my Chocolate labs
            Keep it away from the oven......it will melt.......
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

. Does any others know if you need to mix two dry ingredients(heatstop50 and another dry mix) and water for the Heatstop50 to harden?

I just added water - dried hard as diamond. You mentioned 2 bags, not sure of the build you have in mind but you may consider the home brew - a WHOLE lot cheaper. Nice choice of dog, looks a lot like mine, 11 -12 years old? Hard to tell on my lap top...
              Check out my pictures here:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Too funny Oz!

Thanks Les. The lab in the picture is named Dash. He is 7 years old and thinks he is 7 months old. I do have his mom who is 11 but shes on the tail end of life. (poor girl)...cant go wrong with chocolate! (unless it gets too close to the pizza oven ad Oz said)

Comment

Got some more done today. Put rebar in the bond beam top layer of blocks, made hardibacker floor for hearth slab with supports.

next is fill corner and mid wall cores, rebar for hearth slab and pour it this weekend. 4inches of slab, two layers of CalSi board and then lay out cooking floor bricks. It is going faster than I thought with the help of my father in law Jim. Thanks Jim!

Pictures this weekend.

Comment

Buggy,

That is quite some progress. Will be cooking pies in no time. Looking forward to seeing pics.
                    Russell
                    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Well,

Its been since November when I finished the hearth slab since I've done any work on the oven. Busy Holidays and Kids sports not to mention hunting season back at it though. ready to "start going vertical". I'll post picts of the final stand stuff(came out great).

Anyone have any links to threads on cutting bricks with least number of passes etc? I had some bookmarked but cant find the page??? Im not looking to get crazy with my brick cutting just the most efficient for the standard at least.

It will be a igloo type oven so the inside of the dome will be the only part visible...I dont want to give it a hack job, just something efficient and not too intricate.

Comment

heres the picts from the pour in Nov 2012

Comment

Well,

Its been since November when I finished the hearth slab since I've done any work on the oven. Busy Holidays and Kids sports not to mention hunting season back at it though. ready to "start going vertical". I'll post picts of the final stand stuff(came out great).

Anyone have any links to threads on cutting bricks with least number of passes etc? I had some bookmarked but cant find the page??? Im not looking to get crazy with my brick cutting just the most efficient for the standard at least.

It will be a igloo type oven so the inside of the dome will be the only part visible...I dont want to give it a hack job, just something efficient and not too intricate.
                          Chirobuggy,

Take a look at the jig and procedure I used here it may help or just give you a few ideas as food for thought.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ble-16780.html

Boylanta also contributed to this post with a nice jig of his own.

Chip
                          Chip

Comment

Thanks Chip...great idea! Ive been kind of hesitant to start the brick cutting and such because there are so many variables i haven't figured out yet and dont see how i can figure them out until i start and see them for myself. I am not looking to make the oven with the smallest mortar gaps etc. Just want to do a good job on it the most efficient way I can and still have a great oven.

I came to the conclusion that I just need to jump in and swim!

my father in law made me a great IT hinge I will post pictures of when I get a chance. He is a machinist, very handy and loves a good challenge. I showed him the thread and he came up with a great hinge that keeps the pivot as low as possible and rotates great.

thanks to all for the info. And thanks to mt father-in-law Jim for the help!

Comment

A couple of obvious things from the learning curve. OK obvious in retrospect...

1) All of the bricks on a particular row will be the same angles, (if cut properly).
                              2) Do not cut more bricks than you need for a particular row. I left my saw set-up to cut a row of bricks and cut a few short of what I thought I would use so I did not have left overs,
                              ( OK I learned this after cutting way to many of the wrong size first)
                              3) Remember to stagger your joints. This may require some small bricks somewhere on the lrow. The small bricks will still have the same angles but just not a big a brick.
                              4) If you decide to taper the top or bottom -- choose to taper the bottom as it will be easier to properly align the bricks with your IT. Or said another way DO NOT TAPER THE TOPS OF YOUR BRICKS!!!! - unless you taper both the top and bottom equaly and - Boy that would be a bunch of work.
                              5) and the last obvious thing. Bricks get smaller as they get more vertical.

Chip
                              Chip

Comment

Thanks for the good info again Chip.

What do you mean by #5?

hey chip do you have a link to your floor layout measurements like landing and entry floor?

thanks Joe

Comment

Working...
                                X