• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chirobuggy's 42inch oven build5

Originally posted by chirobuggy View Post
    Thanks for the good info again Chip.

What do you mean by #5?

hey chip do you have a link to your floor layout measurements like landing and entry floor?

thanks Joe
    The bricks are cut in half (roughly) for the first 4 - 6 rows and then need to be cut in smaller pieces ( usualy 3) for higher rows.

I do not have access to my files right now so will send you something tonight or tomorrow.

But here are the dimensions. 42 inch diamater inside dome, 13.75 high X 21.75 Wide inner arch, 14.75 high X 22.5 wide flue arch, 12.5 inch deep on the flue arch with an additional 3 inch veneer of decorative brick.

My inner arch is a little high for the "IDEAL" 63% of dome height at 65.48 but it seems to work well and I was considering putting in some soapstone like John has "giannifocaccia" so ?I wanted to have the ability to add thickness if I needed it and still stay close to the ideal door height.

I used the method of cutting my inner arch bricks described by many builders, that of having the inner arch bricks reach back into the oven as they get higher.

My post "Chip's 42 in Minnesota" and "Octoforno" by giannifocaccia

and several others describe this technique. I think it is the best way to do your inner arch.

Chip
    Last edited by mrchipster; 03-07-2013, 02:36 PM.
    Chip

Comment

Re: Chirobuggy's 42inch oven build

Thanks chip i didnt really pay attention to that detail when i researched all these years i guess because i was still just gathering info and thinking about the stand etc. Now ive been trying to look in bookmarks and such to review the info...your info is so greatly appreciated!

Comment

Thanks to all for the info I have been getting... unfortunately, I have got so much going on i cant start the brick laying just yet. I have a family trip to Tahoe this next week and I wont be home but will begin when I return. I got a whole week to do nothing but snow and plan for the oven

Comment

Greetings Buggy,
          Looks like you and I are in the same stage of our build. I'm sure we will be asking the same questions look forward to watching your progress. Have a great vaction. Here's a link to my build if your interested, hope it works:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/m...ida-19083.html
          Last edited by kbartman; 03-16-2013, 01:44 PM.
          Respectfully,

KB

My build
          Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Kbartman...like your build. got you bookmarked.

Well I am in South Shore Tahoe with the family but wish I was using the week off to work on the oven!!! trolllin the site looking for ideas, thanks everyone for the help.

Joe

Comment

Okay...So I have promised to dedicate all the weekends in June to pull the trigger on the dome build! I have not had the time to put into the oven with the kids sports and functions, but from July on out it is only gonna get worse. So I am determined to get it done.

In the down time I have done some stuff as far as planning and gathering stuff that will be needed such as the IT and supplies. Today I will cut out the template for the floor layout and finalize that stuff then hope to cut some CalSil board and some other stuff in preparation for brick cutting this weekend

Here is a few pictures of the base of the IT. It will be mounted with the lower portion of the base recessed into the 1/2 inch plywood, this is the part that has the rotational component (very smooth with some sealed bearings) and is as close to the floor of the oven as possible. the top piece is threaded to accept a threaded rod and the rest is as usual

Comment

That?s an impressive IT baseI take either you?re a machinist or know one.
                Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Thanks KB, You're right, my father in law is a machinist and He has been helping me with some of the building of the Pizza oven. He is a great source of information and we work well together (much better using to brains than one). Our last build was of a dune buggy some years back. Thus my screen name Chirobuggy. I am a chiropractor + dune buggy...no one ever has that screen name for things online

Anyway, he is a great help and thinks of stuff I might not have so its great to bounce ideas off of him.

So....I'm getting as much done as I can between making decisions on space and arch and landing andset back and trying to think about stuff to come. Seems like to decision making is taking more time than my actions

I should be starting the laying out of the floor and scribing and cutting floor bricks this thurs or the weekend. I do have some questions though.

1. When I lay the fireclay/sand down I think the consensus is to do that dry (no water) So just pile up some of the mixture on top of my Calsil and screed it out and start laying/tapping? What about the edges of the Calsil where the soldier course goes, there too? or should I mortar the soldier course? I couldn't find any pictures of that process on other builds that I could remember.

2. When mixing the Heatstop50 how much should I mix up for each course? I would assume that it would be better to mix only what is needed for the course as its ready to be set...or brick by brick?? Anyone have a kind of general rule of thumb recipe for a course batch amount? I have 2 bags and don't want to waste any.

Thanks for the info in advance. Here's some Picts

Comment

Thanks KB, You're right, my father in law is a machinist and He has been helping me with some of the building of the Pizza oven. He is a great source of information and we work well together (much better using to brains than one). Our last build was of a dune buggy some years back. Thus my screen name Chirobuggy. I am a chiropractor + dune buggy...no one ever has that screen name for things online

Hi Chirobuggy,

I'm with you on that, you can't have too many brains to figure things out, but sometimes two will do.

Comment

Hi Chirobuggy

cool story on your screen name!

For my oven my CalSil board was flat enough that I didn't use any fire-clay underneath the floor bricks. I picked floor bricks that were pretty much the same size and laid them dry on the board - so far this seems to have worked.

I believe that the consensus is to try and ensure that NO wet mortar comes into contact with the CalSil board. The board will immediately suck any moisture out of the mortar. I laid my soldiers dry on top of the CalSil. I didn't mortar the soldiers to the floor bricks (there is discussion that this allows for some expansion of the floor bricks without cracking the dome). But then did liberally mortar outside of the soldier course (and in between the angles) and I also mortared the soldier course to the first dome course. Hope this helps!

Neil

Comment

Thanks KB, You're right, my father in law is a machinist
                        1. When I lay the fireclay/sand down I think the consensus is to do that dry (no water) So just pile up some of the mixture on top of my Calsil and screed it out and start laying/tapping? What about the edges of the Calsil where the soldier course goes, there too? or should I mortar the soldier course? I couldn't find any pictures of that process on other builds that I could remember.
                        Originally posted by kbartman View Post
                        I need some advice setting the floor on fire clay sand mortar bed.
                        Should I wet the CB?
                        Should I start the floor in the middle, side, front, back?
                        Should I cover the entire area with the sand fire clay or just a portion at a time?
                        Butter was not an option
                        I made so progress since my big scare on Friday. After the floor was set and first course lay I found some rocking in floor, which I did not like. Thinking about a tear down at this point,
                        Chirobuggy,
                        It's great having a machinist in the family. My brother is a machinist, although he is in Ohio.

I included the beginning of a few posts of mine dealing with the floor sand clay deboggled of mine starting at post 116. Click on the little blue arrow to take you to the original posts. They are many helpful comments from other dealing with this. I was very frustrated and disgusted at the time, but now I feel very happy with my final outcome of my floor. Have a question let me know.

Hope this helps.
                        Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Thanks Kb...you da man!

Comment

Bruce,
                            No sander involved, just play sand purchased at the local home improvement store. The fire brick and substrate is not perfect has some imperfections causing misalignments and unevenness.
                            Here the beginning of another post in case you miss it, might help with the your floor. I noticed you had lots of joint in you insulation boards
                            Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

2. When mixing the Heatstop50 how much should I mix up for each course? I would assume that it would be better to mix only what is needed for the course as its ready to be set...or brick by brick?? Anyone have a kind of general rule of thumb recipe for a course batch amount? I have 2 bags and don't want to waste any.
                              I'm using Heatstop as well and started laying bricks a couple weeks ago. It is my first brick laying experience. I would start by mixing a small amount for just a few bricks and see how it goes. It will begin to set up before (go off) before too long and you will end up wasting it if you mix too much. You will not be able to lay an entire course with a single batch IMO. The smaller batches also helps you develop a 'feel' for the right consistency. For what it's worth, I've got about 6 courses done and just started my second bag.
                              John

Link to my build: 42 inch Michigan Oven

Comment

Thanks for the help guys I worked today on the floor cuts and setting up the HF saw and getting the hang of some cuts. Ready to cut, place, and mortar some soldiers this weekend. Yes

I was using a bunch of plagiarized info from the forum to get up to this point. Specifically Dino's floor layout and, well most of the info he has been generous to post. (Love your oven Dino) He has an enclosed oven though and a "squished dome" according to his posts. Mine will be an igloo and I believe I am going with a 21inch height on the dome...mostly because I am not sure how to do a squished dome like he has posted when using an IT like when to change the length etc. Anyway, because of this I have been rethinking the entry and arch bricks some and have spent some time spinning my wheels about that.

I do feel like I finally got some stuff done though...Take a look

Comment

Working...
                                X