Zeeland, Mi 42" Oven Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Zeeland, Mi 42" Oven Build

Nice start and progressing nicely. Will be watching your build.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Didn't have as much time as hoped for to work on my oven the last few days. Did discover that I didn't like the height of my hearth though. I thought that it was ok when I had the cement blocks stacked but once things started to go together I wanted it to be a little higher. So off to the hardware store I went and again and bought 29 8x16x4 solid cement blocks. Brought the hearth height to a perfect level for me.

I now have the floor in and a sailor coarse down. Hope to get course #2 in tomorrow before work. Hoping that things go a little faster now.

Comment

Great start! Looking forward to following your progress. Hope the weather holds out.

Tim
        Kalamazoo

Comment

I have more done now, just havn't had time to upload pics yet. Started the 5th course today and hope that I can get a lot done this weekend. The weather does worry me though. Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that I can get the enclosure done before it snows!

Comment

An update on my progress so far. Had to remove my first course of bricks. My mortar was too dry that first try so I had bricks coming lose when I went and started the second course. Luckily my sister-in-law came over that day and lent a hand at removing the first course of bricks, chipping away the mortar that did stick and helping me get the first two courses in. I was also able to finish my arch..though it did take a few tries to get it right and I finished the forth course. I'm hoping to get some work done on it tomorrow. Will have to see how the rain goes. Might have to borrow a tent.

Comment

I see you are using a tapered arch. It will make life much easier as you go up. Keep an eye on the vertical staggers and adjust a brick here and there as need. Keep up the good work.
              Russell

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                I see you are using a tapered arch. It will make life much easier as you go up. Keep an eye on the vertical staggers and adjust a brick here and there as need. Keep up the good work.
                Thanks! I've ran into vertical stager problem all ready. I do need to keep a closer eye on it. Didn't catch one untill I was 3 bricks past.

Comment

Finished my 7th course today and started on the 8th. Might get the dome finished by Saturday. Then I get to figure out the chimney

Comment

Looking real good. About now is when the bricks want to start falling in until they set up a bit. What is your plan for holding them in place? On about the 8th course I started cliping a weight on them and ran it down the outside of the dome...worked pretty good for a few courses. Then I went with the exercise ball for the last few. That worked well also but the drawback was not being able to clean up the inside joints.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Comment

Thanks! I finished my 8th course yesterday. The next one might be a little tricky to hold in place. Not sure how I will hold them in place yet. Might try the weight method you used or pieces of wood to hold them in place. I'm going to go with the exercise ball also to hold the last few rows up. I'll have to see how bad it looks when it is done. Might have one of my nephew or nieces go in and clean things up for me. Will have to see how bad it is.

How is the oven cure going? I can't wait to get to that point.

Comment

The issue with the exercise ball is that I was afraid to remove it until the mortar cured for a day....by then it had cured enough that it could not be cleaned with a sponge and water like the rest. It left a lot of mortar at the very top of the inside of the dome. However, now that I am doing the curing fires the entire top of the dome has turned black and you cannot even see it. So, I wouldn't worry about....the ball worked great for me.

The curing fires are going great. I did buy a infared thermometer....it has helped a lot.

Good luck....you will be there in no time.

Comment

Looking nice! We are gonna be turning out a lot of pizzas here in Michigan this fall!

Comment

szv9n5,

I tried using a plywood disk held up with a car jack, concept work great with the exception, like an excercise ball you cannot inspect mortar joints until dry or removed. I eventually went back to my IT and sticks, took my time. For me it worked out better. The two different techniques are shown in my picassa log. Good luck.
                            Russell

Comment

I have one more row and then I'll have to decide. Might try the sticks and see if I can hold off gravity for a row longer before using the ball. I'm up against a Michigan winter unfortunately and need to get it done soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt View Post
                                Looking nice! We are gonna be turning out a lot of pizzas here in Michigan this fall!
                                I hope so! Have a lot of friends who want to come have some. Would hate to disappoint them!

Comment

Working...
                                X