Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Type of Mortar used.

Hello Everyone.

I am building an oven, but have a quick question with regard to the fire mortar. I understand that you can not use it when the joins are thicker than 2mm, and it must not be in contact with the fire itself.

In the very first picture of the pomeii oven design plans on the main forno bravo site, it shows an oven being made, with large amounts of mortar between the bricks at the back, as they being to angle upward. What type of mortar is used here if fire mortar cannot be this thick?These are almost like triangles of mortar.

Any ideas here?

Re: Type of Mortar used.

Not sure what you mean by "fire mortar," but the home brew that I (and many others) have used is perfectly fine in contact with the fire.

Where I had a large joint (anything over 1/2") - I mortared the joint and then slid small firebrick shims (left over from angling bricks) into the mortared joints.

you can kind of see the broken off shims between courses here: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/ch...tml#post114355

So - if you're worried about the size of mortar joints - just add shims to cut down the size. Simple stuff.

Comment

Working...
    X