Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Super Duty Firebricks, good or bad?

V-wiz or Gee-wiz,

It sounds as if you're sitting on a gold mine, but can't make up your mind. Its good to get opinions from other of what can and or might happen, but there are times when you should make some simple tests. If you have a saw, cut a few bricks. Your oven doesn't have to be fully saturated every time your fire it up, if that was the case most of us would be spending more time waiting for it to cool down, than waiting for it to heat up.

Comment

Originally posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
      V-wiz....Call your local HW representative and address your concerns to them. They are the professionals and can tell you the specific differences between you brick and a low or medium duty brick. Then you should rest easy in your final decision.

So i called my local HW rep, spoke to the guy. These bricks are not even Super Duty, they are high Alumina bricks (Duhhh). So since they are dense they will warm up as normal, however the heat transfer is alot faster, so it will transfer thru the brick faster and cool down faster. Does this make sense?? Given good insulation it should retain heat well. What do you guys think?
      Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

There you go, works for me. Looks like they aren't for sale after all.

Hope you feel better now, Faith

Comment

There you go, works for me. Looks like they aren't for sale after all.

Hope you feel better now, Faith

Thanks Faith. I was not so sure about the information that the guy gave me there, so i called another refractory/insulating place. His name was Ron Heberger, he actualy had a castable pizza oven of his own. He stated that since they are more dense it will take longer to heat however will keep that heat longer, which is what we have known this whole time. He also suggested that i cut them into smaller pieces, 3" wall of brick.

Also the rep at HW said these Aldain 80 bricks are expensive and overkill. I know i got a good price but now i have to decide. hmm.
          Last edited by V-wiz; 01-21-2013, 04:45 PM.

Comment

I would still leave them whole... but that's just me. If you want to avoid cuts go with a barrel vault oven and not a round oven. (that's my next oven) Works just as good and requires a lot less cutting and less brick waste. Your bricks are also suited to that type of oven also.

I truly don't think I burn any more wood then the next guy even with my extra mass. I do tend to burn slower fires and not the huge raging (scary) fires. The brick can only transfer heat at a specific rate. So extra heat just goes up the pipe.

Comment

I would still leave them whole... but that's just me. If you want to avoid cuts go with a barrel vault oven and not a round oven. (that's my next oven) Works just as good and requires a lot less cutting and less brick waste. Your bricks are also suited to that type of oven also.

I truly don't think I burn any more wood then the next guy even with my extra mass. I do tend to burn slower fires and not the huge raging (scary) fires. The brick can only transfer heat at a specific rate. So extra heat just goes up the pipe.

Thanks Faith, im pretty set on the Pompeii dome, i love the shape and look of it. In the mean time ill have to hang on to these. I need to brain storm.

Comment

Just wanted to thank everyone that has helped me out so far, thanks guys .

Do you guys think a 3" thick wall for the oven will be enough to support a 42" oven?
                Last edited by V-wiz; 01-22-2013, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Hey gang, here is a little update, i spoke to one of the sales person at Harbison-Walker. He gave me some info on the Aladin 80, basically these are amazing bricks, and VERY VERY expensive, over $20 for EACH BRICK. So these are 80% alumina and the density is 170 lbs, which is pretty dense. These are actually better than high duty and super duty bricks.
                  Last edited by V-wiz; 01-23-2013, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Hi V-wiz,

Gee wiz, as I was trying to tell, it would have been foolish to get rid of them if they were free. I see that you edit the foolish part out, but it was in the email notice. The bricks are a winner even at $20 a piece, which has no bearing. Please start your build, it would make me very happy.

Comment

Originally posted by v-wiz View Post
                      what would be a good size blade to buy
                      16" .................
                      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
                        Hi V-wiz,

Gee wiz, as I was trying to tell, it would have been foolish to get rid of them if they were free. I see that you edit the foolish part out, but it was in the email notice. The bricks are a winner even at $20 a piece, which has no bearing. Please start your build, it would make me very happy.
                        I wish they were free, i payed for them, but got them at a great price. I want to start man but i need saturdays. I work full time.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                          16" .................
                          Our saw take 9 and 10 inch. Ill use a 9 since its alot cheaper.

Comment

He was pulling your chain! Don't take us serious, except the times that we are!

Comment

V-wiz... I'm happy your now satisfied with your brick. Is this the appropriate time to give you the " I told you so" line? ;-)

Looking forward to your build.

Comment

Lmao, ya i know he was joking, thanks guys i hope i can start soon, as of now it doesnt look good , we have rain for a few days, ya i know, no sun shine in Cali??

Fyi i do plan to use these bricks, however i still have to make some cuts, as 6 inches is too thick, i dont want that much mass, as it is they are really dense, so ill have to site down with my old man and brain storm to see what the best size/thickness would be. Im open for suggestions.
                                Last edited by V-wiz; 01-24-2013, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X