• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faith In Virginia
    replied
    Re: Super Duty Firebricks, good or bad?

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
    I rigged my saw with a fresh water supply from the hose and let the mud drop into a bucket most of the water coming off the top of the bucket was quite clean and I never had to clean a filter or plugged lines again. I am sure it was a waste of some water but I had an in line ball valve that I could turn on and off as needed and it sure made the water supply more consistent, I was finding the lines would plug up quite often before I went to a clean water supply direct from the house via a garden hose. This may be a problem in other areas where water is in short supply but here on the mighty Mississippi and "Land of 10,000 lakes" -- but the official count of lakes more than ten acres (40,000 m?) in size is approximately 11,842. water is cheap and plentiful.

Chip
    I did the same thing. My problem was not so much the lines as the pump. It kept clogging up and stopped pumping. So I stuck my pump in a clean bucket and just kept the bucket full.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    I can only speak from my own experience with the HF 10" wet saw. Keep the blade wet and don't force the cuts. If at any point it seems that you are not getting the same amount of water on the blade; empty the solids from the pan, clean the filter, and rod out the jets.
    I rigged my saw with a fresh water supply from the hose and let the mud drop into a bucket most of the water coming off the top of the bucket was quite clean and I never had to clean a filter or plugged lines again. I am sure it was a waste of some water but I had an in line ball valve that I could turn on and off as needed and it sure made the water supply more consistent, I was finding the lines would plug up quite often before I went to a clean water supply direct from the house via a garden hose. This may be a problem in other areas where water is in short supply but here on the mighty Mississippi and "Land of 10,000 lakes" -- but the official count of lakes more than ten acres (40,000 m?) in size is approximately 11,842. water is cheap and plentiful.

Chip
    Last edited by mrchipster; 01-15-2013, 08:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Thanks, im pretty familiar with the wet saw, ive used it many times but thank you, ive looked at blades and the price difference between 10 in and 9 in is pretty big. Ill have to see what works better. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

I can only speak from my own experience with the HF 10" wet saw. Keep the blade wet and don't force the cuts. If at any point it seems that you are not getting the same amount of water on the blade; empty the solids from the pan, clean the filter, and rod out the jets.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Ya that is also true, what would be a good size blade to buy

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Not cutting them down is probably the best route since 80% alumina brick will take about 10 times the amount of wet saw blades (for the same size brick) as do medium density firebrick.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

I see, ya my bricks are just 6 inches, i wil also add another 4-6 inches of insulation blanket.

Leave a comment:

• Faith In Virginia
    replied

Well I have 4.5 of brick and 3 of cast refractory for a total of 7.5 of thermal mass. Then I have 4" of ceramic insulation

I have 6 thermocouples so that I know inner mid and outer oven temps.

My new ovens will have 12" of thermal mass for multiple loads of bread. For bread you need big thermal mass. When I load 12 -1.5 lb loaves of bread in the oven the dough has more then a gallon of water in it and that is a big draw on the stored energy.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Thanks faith, do you mean 7.5 on the brick alone? Or the entire oven with insulation? If you have insulation which im sure you do the how does the outside of the oven get to 250f? Isnt that too hot for the outside for having insulation

Leave a comment:

• Faith In Virginia
    replied

Well that's a bit complicated. I have a 48" Pompeii

If I plan on just pizza we are talking 2 to 2.5 hours or so I load the oven and let it burn down to coals.

With the extra thermal mass the heat slowly moves from the heat source to the cooler part of the oven. So on firing the inside of the oven is 800-900F and the outside is about 250F. (7.5" out) If I'm doing pizza I fire the oven and keep the coals going on the side so the fire is always charging the oven. I don't care that I'm loosing energy within the oven walls because the ongoing fire keeps everything more then hot enough.

Now for bread I give a moderate firing the day before and saturate the entire oven to 350F the second day I fire again and get the oven saturated to 550 - 600 F. With all that energy stored I can cook for days. But you will need a good door and good insulation to do that.

Faith

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Originally posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
    Yummmm!!!! Large slabs of meat. (Feeling like Homer Simpson)

A week or so a go I did a pork shoulder two days after baking bread with no re-firing. I still had good heat for other baking after the pork came out.

, niiicccee, thats what i like to hear. How long does it take you to heat up your oven? and how big is your oven? Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Faith In Virginia
    replied

Yummmm!!!! Large slabs of meat. (Feeling like Homer Simpson)

A week or so a go I did a pork shoulder two days after baking bread with no re-firing. I still had good heat for other baking after the pork came out.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Originally posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
    I like them. In fact I have a truck load of them for my next oven, just sitting on my trailer at the moment.

My current oven has 7.5 inch thickness and built to bake bread. I say stick to the 6" and don't cut them down. It may take a bit more to heat the oven up but with proper insulation the extra mass would make your oven more versatile . You will get more rounds of bakes and better next day baking and such. But if pizza is your only purpose you may want to cut them down...but thinking you will regret it in the future.

Just my opinion.

I think this makes me feel a bit better, you are right, i enjoy large slabs of meat more and i would like to get into baking, off course pizza will be there also. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Faith In Virginia
    replied

I like them. In fact I have a truck load of them for my next oven, just sitting on my trailer at the moment.

My current oven has 7.5 inch thickness and built to bake bread. I say stick to the 6" and don't cut them down. It may take a bit more to heat the oven up but with proper insulation the extra mass would make your oven more versatile . You will get more rounds of bakes and better next day baking and such. But if pizza is your only purpose you may want to cut them down...but thinking you will regret it in the future.

Just my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    started a topic Super Duty Firebricks, good or bad?

Super Duty Firebricks, good or bad?

Has anyone used super duty firebricks?
    Last edited by V-wiz; 02-26-2013, 09:38 AM.
Working...
X