• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSpringsOven
    replied
    Re: 36" oven in Colorado Springs

6th course, going over the arch.

not the cleanest and I have a couple of places to the left of the arch I need to go back and fill in with small pieces. But the pic isn't take square on, so it looks a little lopsided.

overall I'm pretty happy with the way this turned out.

Leave a comment:

• CSpringsOven
    replied

making progress. 6th course complete.

Leave a comment:

• CSpringsOven
    replied

K79, thanks for the suggestion and links to your post.

I did a few more caclulations based on on your dome/pics and I think I can correct the problem pretty easily, just need to be a little more aggressive on the angles (shims) to get the dome circulized. I plan on doing it over the next two courses (7 and 8). We'll see how it turns out.

Thanks,
    Dana

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Hey CSpringsOven...

I ran into the same issue and caught it quick. You have to rely on your IT more than your eye. Try your hardest to get your correct shape back otherwise the issue will be a pain in the butt once you reach the last few courses of brick! Definitely fixable especially that early on.

I closed my bricks over my arch so they fit in nice, but once I had my course of bricks that was completely enclosed (over the arch) I made sure I had my round dome back.

Check out post #294 on my oven build.
    Last edited by K79; 06-08-2013, 03:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• CSpringsOven
    replied

boerwarrior - a week?!?! looks like you're done, I'd say you're at least a month ahead of me! I'd like to be finished by the end of June.

All, I could use some advice. I basically just finished with the 6th course, and going over the arch isn't going too bad. The issue that's developing is that the front 1/3rd (from overhead) is developing into more of an oval than a circle.

I think its occurring because I've been shaping the bricks next to the arch and haven't been paying close enough attention to the distance to center. It's not off by that much, but as I go higher (still not off by much) the oval is more noticeable.

So, my initial guess is that it's not that big of a deal, especially since my courses are following my prescribed angles/closure. And I can use the next few courses to circulate it a little more (hopefully?).

Anyone else have any advice/suggestions/concerns?

Thanks,
    Dana
    Last edited by CSpringsOven; 06-08-2013, 01:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

Looking very nice, well done!! I'm about a week ahead of you

Neil
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...nia-19283.html

Leave a comment:

• CSpringsOven
    replied
    Re: 36" oven in Colorado Springs (5th course)

Got most of the 5th course done, just need to template the final two bricks that are next to the arch.

Leave a comment:

• CSpringsOven
    replied
    Re: 36" oven in Colorado Springs (revised IT)

My IT started moving around a little, so I had to reinforce it, pretty straight forward.

I also had to revised how it's holding up the bricks, tossed the metal angle thingy aside and just using the threaded rod, seems to work just fine.

In reading other posts, it seems some have it easy keeping bricks in place, others not, thankfully once i put a brick on place (and clean up the mortar) it only takes a few seconds (10-15ish) for it to stay in place. I'm sure as I get up there in courses this might change (maybe the dry Colorado air helps). Either way, the HeatStop50 is working great so far.

And something I've found useful, I created a template out of cardstock paper to make sure the courses are following my prescribed angles.

Bottom line, all seems to be working well so for, with only minor adjustments.

Leave a comment:

• CSpringsOven
    replied
    Re: 36" oven in Colorado Springs (oven arch)

got the arch done. not the cleanest, but it will work.
    sort of "shaped" the inside of the arch to make courses 6-7 easier...we'll see how it turns out.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied
    Re: 36" oven in Colorado Springs (4th course)

Originally posted by CSpringsOven View Post
    4th course complete; the oven arch is up next!
    As my grandmother would say, the spacing on the fourth course is "much less worse". Translation....very nice.

Chip

Leave a comment:

• Coloradoredusa
    replied

looks good!

Leave a comment:

• CSpringsOven
    replied
    Re: 36" oven in Colorado Springs (4th course)

4th course complete; the oven arch is up next!

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

I think you would need a mirror to show off that spacing, no way am I sticking my head that far in a hot oven just to see if things are perfect.
    Chip

Leave a comment:

• Coloradoredusa
    replied

Dana, Looks good.. nobody will see those joints unless you show them .. which will be difficult..lol Keep going.. Great weather this weekend!

Leave a comment:

• CSpringsOven
    replied
    Re: 36" oven in Colorado Springs - 3rd course complete

Memorial Day weekend brings some much needed time off and good weather.

I still need to work on my joint spacing, but I guess I just get excited that progress is being made before I realize joints are on top of each other. At least this one is off to the side and most people won't see it.

3rd course complete.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X