42" Pompeii in S. Louisiana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 42" Pompeii in S. Louisiana

My brother called me last night saying he could help me pour the foundation in the morning before it rains tomorrow. Since I didn't have the rebar cut or all of the concrete on hand, I had to hustle last night to cut the rebar and make two runs to Home Depot for bags of concrete. I got up at 5:30 am to get things started before he got here at 6. We managed to pour 46 80 lbs bags of Quikrete by 8:15. I'm pleased because I thought it would take all morning.

Comment

Great job Kurt,
      It's good to get a little help the pours . Just a little advice on any future pours, though. If you will cut your stakes, even with or below the top of the form before you pour, it will make leveling and screeding easier.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I didn't see a mixer in the background. I assume you mixed all that the old fashioned way...in a wheel barrow. Power to you. That's alot of work. Good thing you have a brother to count on...I don't know if you can pay for that kind of labor anymore.

When it comes time for your hearth pour, you'll want to make sure to raise the rebar off of the bottom by an inch or so. Concrete is much stronger under compression so you want your steel reinforcement just below the center of your slab.

Good Luck and hand your brother a beer.

Regards,
        AT

Comment

Thanks. Yep, we mixed the concrete 2 bags at a time in a wheelbarrow. I was waiting for the rebar comment. The rebar is about 2.5" off the ground. I had not placed it on a few broken bricks when I took the photo. I'm not even sure if they were wired together at that point. My brother's labor was payback for me installing aluminum floors in his boat last weekend. That actually took twice as long. Glad we poured yesterday as it's raining now.

Comment

I was able to get more work done today and yesterday. The base is mostly finished minus adding rebar and filling the blocks with concrete. The bricks will help support the blocks below the landing. I'll add steel angle also. That was my first effort brick laying. I think it came out ok. The variations in the salvaged bricks made it interesting keeping the heights consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurtloup View Post
              I was able to get more work done today and yesterday. The base is mostly finished minus adding rebar and filling the blocks with concrete. The bricks will help support the blocks below the landing. I'll add steel angle also. That was my first effort brick laying. I think it came out ok. The variations in the salvaged bricks made it interesting keeping the heights consistent.

I am a little confused by you not utilizing then space under the oven, I am watching with great intersest, though. I do wish that I had used the round base for my Pompeii . Keep us posted !
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I am just confused, but I am sure it is clear in your mind, so I will just say, "Looking Good!".

Gulf, you know how the bugs and beasties are down here, I made my wood storage area small and isolated just to avoid a scorpion bite or a wasp nest.

Comment

Thought about using the interior below the dome for storage, but decided I'd just use the area under the landing to store wood.

Comment

Origional qute by Kurtloup: Thought about using the interior below the dome for storage, but decided I'd just use the area under the landing to store wood.
                    You are right about that, it is too far to retrieve wood. I hope to use a large drawer under mine for peel, tools, doors etc.

TScar,
                    I was on a rig near Goliad many years ago. They had warned us about scorpions. One morning, before work, I shook a 2 to 3" scorpion out of my boot . I'm glad that I listened . I hate critters

Comment

My daughter caught a 3" scorpion in her room this morning. I asked her why she was taking it outside let it go, and after I listened to her liberalism-of-youth reasons why it had a right to live, I told her to let it sting her first then let it go. She squashed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                        My daughter caught a 3" scorpion in her room this morning. I asked her why she was taking it outside let it go, and after I listened to her liberalism-of-youth reasons why it had a right to live, I told her to let it sting her first then let it go. She squashed it.
                        T.

Thats sick! They don't sting you because they're evil.

Comment

Gudday
                          They don't sting because there evil ... They sting because they can.
                          And if you have to kill one its because you can......

Regards dave
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once
                          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                          My Door
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

The key words is (Have to kill one)! She was bullied into killing them!

Comment

Gudday
                              No the key word is "Can " if its Main defense is attack and if its in your domain you can make the decision to stop it from being a threat . I don't know how poisonous they in the US but if it was in ozz I would kill them ..it's common dog thinking...:.

Regards dave
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once
                              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                              My Door
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

I'm a block short.

Comment

Working...
                                X