Share your crack stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Share your crack stories

That is a first--from what I have read on this forum.
    Good that I can find a question that right off your head no answer pops out.
    Let me know-- the details I described are for huge kilns, refractory maker was AP Green - I think the company has merged with another company but its products are still readily available throughout US .

Comment

Speaking in terms of oven construction and the materials used, even how they may react during heating cycles and peak temperatures is interesting, but not important to the fact that your oven will crack. Scores of engineers have built ovens here on fornobravo, they stick to the plans almost without exception. Fits of creative thought are normal in the design phase for all of us. This too will pass, and hopefully you will decide to stick to the plans!

It would take government backed research, experiments, and demonstration and validation projects to construct an oven without cracks. Then, it would probably crack anyway after some use.

The beauty of the pompeii design is that it works as designed! Thousands of us have recorded cracks on this forum, yet the ovens all still work (with two exceptions that I recall where the ovens actually crumbled when they got wet, which were defect in the builder's mortar).

Design the oven as you wish. It will crack. You have about a 99% chance that it will be usable after it cracks.....If you stick to the plans.
      Lee B.
      DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Government backed research, experiments, demonstration and validation projects would only result in regulations, EPA studies, FDA restrictions, special permits, fees and quite possibly the ban of wood fired ovens. That crack is now a signature of my hand built oven.

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
          I'm with you now, and there really is no advantage to starting with a soldier course that I can see.
          I believe the thinking of going that route was more room. If you build a small dome it may make sense and help. I built a 42 so the little bit it buys you is squat...
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
            I built a 42 so the little bit it buys you is squat...
            Yeah, too little to say it makes a difference.
            Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
            John Ruskin

Comment

This thread is about crack stories!!
              So the general experience is whatever the build quality and level of perfection they are generally a reality.......me included. Effectively it becomes a relief point in the oven......for expansion......hopefully in an appropriate place.
              Mmmm what's a simple way of saying this?
              We have a wood oven mantra...albeit funny yet serious
              Insulate....insulate....insulate...

Maybe it's time for a wood oven proverb....... on cracks

A Brickies crack is better than a plumbers crack

Uo oh....maybe someone can help me here
              .... A WFO crack is like a .......!!
              Cheers
              Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Originally posted by Bacterium View Post
                .... A WFO crack is like a .......!!
                Sad way to end all your efforts for the sake keeping the curing fires small and prolonged.
                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Getting there.....maybe we need more of a Confucius say?
                  Cheers
                  Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

For what it's worth, one of the tools I use is a large fish gaff. This tool allows me to gently place the firewood rather than reaching in when things get hot or worse tossing the wood into the oven and onto the fire. I'm confident of the construction of my oven but feel better about placing the firewood exactly where I want it rather than it bouncing off the interior walls.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                      Mick,
                      The Pantheon in Rome is the largest unreinforced concrete dome in the world. To overcome the problem of weakness at its base they made the walls some 6 metres thick, then as the dome got progressively higher so the walls became progressively thinner.
                      Interesting, that's what I'm doing with my WFO Can I be so bold as to call mine once completed "The Mini Pantheon" ?? haha Has a ring to it!
                      Link to my oven build on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujb7lqVcSzQ

Comment

Originally posted by K79 View Post
                        Interesting, that's what I'm doing with my WFO Can I be so bold as to call mine once completed "The Mini Pantheon" ?? haha Has a ring to it!
                        Yes K79,

I rings a wee bit louder than "Mini Me"!

Comment

Nice one, lots of oven owners give their ovens names. I think your solution for the dome base is a good one. The only downside that I can see is that as the base of the dome is the most difficult area to get heat into, you may find that yours will take a little longer to saturate with heat in that area, but not that you would notice.
                          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I'd like to float the idea of hearth expansion forcing the first ring out?

Comment

Originally posted by Bookemdanno View Post
                              I'd like to float the idea of hearth expansion forcing the first ring out?
                              Only if its built wrongly.
                              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Brickie,

Can you expand on building it correctly? My soldier course is on the floor. I did make teh mistake or using a thin layer or Mortar. It looks like my floor expands and contracts. A couple of mm here and there. I am sure I did something wrong and want to understand it. No matter, my WFO keeps getting better each time I fire it up.

Comment

Working...
                                X