• Ken524
    replied
    Re: K79 Oven Build

Very nice! Almost ready for pizza!

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Excellent! Very impressive. You must be proud of that work.

As a sage told me 'good start'. I thought it was a bit flippant but there was as much work again after the dome was done.

Dome completion at post 322 must also be a record! The conversations along the way have paid a dividend in the quality of the dome. Good luck with the ongoing build.

Cheers .......... Steve

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Congratulation, job well done. Looks great!

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Simply beautiful!
    Great job .

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Completed my dome !!

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

david s,

sorry I wasn't clear.. (I need to be more careful with my posts!).

It is my chimney vent (flue) opening that is 5" deep. My entire landing is going to be 12 inches front to back - and actually 15" if I include the decorative outer arch.

Neil

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Originally posted by boerwarrior View Post
    Ok that's what I thought! Yes, mine is 5" deep so less than a brick length from front to back! Which means I will be able to use full bricks to frame the flat chimney support.

Yours sounds fine to me. Why are the experienced people not weighing in? Do they enjoy watching the newbies trade theories?

Oh well, next year you and I will be the smart ones!

Neil
    I think a shallow entry is a great idea, it makes the oven much easier to work, but is not that easy to do with bricks, it is much easier if you cast the whole entry. You do need to make sure that the oven is adequately flued if you make the entry shallow, because the smoke is closer to the external arch.

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

Originally posted by K79 View Post
    Ok instead of hijacking boerwarrior's thread I'll sort of repost my question here:

The issue of placing a parging layer around the entire outside of the oven dome has come up. cobblerdave has strongly recommended this step. What do you all think? I've been following the FB plans and this wasn't in there. Does it go on before or after the curing fires, do i need to let the parging layer cure for two weeks before curing fires...

I'm thinking of using one of the following:

Premix Conproco Type "S"
    Dragon Type "S"
    Conproco Type "S"
    Structural Skin by Conproco
    or
    NOXCRETE (only one that I can use metal fibers in if you guys think that needs to be done as well)

Anyone use these?

I don't mind you hijacking my thread! It is a great question!

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

I called Conproco and they said that I shouldn't use their product if the temp gets over 500 degrees. So that's out right?? Dragon said no also. The NOXCRETE would work but I'ld have to form around the dome to use it and my slab can't handle the increase in size to be able to add my studs and concrete board for my veneer. ughhhhh..... What about vermicrete would that work....

Local mason told me that the Conproco should hold up to the secondary heat outside the oven. Maybe the Conproco Rep I spoke with was thinking of direct flame contact....
    Last edited by K79; 05-30-2013, 11:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Ok instead of hijacking boerwarrior's thread I'll sort of repost my question here:

The issue of placing a parging layer around the entire outside of the oven dome has come up. cobblerdave has strongly recommended this step. What do you all think? I've been following the FB plans and this wasn't in there. Does it go on before or after the curing fires, do i need to let the parging layer cure for two weeks before curing fires...

I'm thinking of using one of the following:

Premix Conproco Type "S"
    Dragon Type "S"
    Conproco Type "S"
    Structural Skin by Conproco
    or
    NOXCRETE (only one that I can use metal fibers in if you guys think that needs to be done as well)

Anyone use these?
    Last edited by K79; 05-30-2013, 11:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

My "grappling hooks" in action...

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Ok that's what I thought! Yes, mine is 5" deep so less than a brick length from front to back! Which means I will be able to use full bricks to frame the flat chimney support.

Yours sounds fine to me. Why are the experienced people not weighing in? Do they enjoy watching the newbies trade theories?

Neil
    I don't know. Either way I'm sure we're going to love our ovens.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

It all looks good to me except for the thickness of your bottom courses. I predict that you will not achieve burn off there, and also predict that it will make absolutely no difference in the performance of your oven. Looking great!

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

Neil

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

sorry it looks like perhaps I misunderstood your measurements....

Not sure what you mean by vent landing? You mean the flat bit that the SS chimney vent plate sits on? If your opening is 41 sq in and you are doing your best to taper into the 7" diameter hole then I think you will be good.

Neil
    By vent landing I'm referring to the flat area directly under your chimeny between your inner and outer arch. Yes I'm doing my best but we'll see

Leave a comment:

Working...
X