• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K79
    replied
    Re: K79 Oven Build

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    Yes, when pre-cutting, always leave the last 2 brick until the rest of the course are in as you will be cutting them again anyway.

If you insist on using that mortar, you will need to add some fine to medium grit sand to keep it from shrinking in joints larger than 1/4". What you have laid is fine, but as you go up the dome, you will begin to get 3/8" to 1/2" joints on the face and even larger ones on the back side.

I used that type on my barrel vault, but I was able to keep the joints thin on the face and fill in the back with a different mortar. Again, I don't recommend it's use for a Pompeii oven.
    Thanks everyone for the help. I'm using Heat Stop. You're not referring to that are you?

Leave a comment:

• SCChris
    replied

79, you're going to find that as you go higher in the courses you're going to start to see "V"s from the prior course. I mention this now because you need to understand that unless you cut and place and mix a coffee cup of mortar at a time you are going to have to accept the mortar joints are not as tight as you might have dreamed that you wanted or needed.

From time to time it's important to remember.

1- Cracks are to be expected.
    2 - Insight comes with experience and most of us start with no personal experience.
    3 - A dome built with half bricks and a dump truck of mortar still cooks incredible pizza.
    4 - Insulation is a minor part of the cost of the build, even the expensive insulation.
    5 - A dry dome is a happy dome
    6 - Someone around here has done what you're doing
    7 - Your back will get tired.
    8 - Opinions are like ..., everyone has one.

:-)

Chris

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Yes, when pre-cutting, always leave the last 2 brick until the rest of the course are in as you will be cutting them again anyway.

If you insist on using that mortar, you will need to add some fine to medium grit sand to keep it from shrinking in joints larger than 1/4". What you have laid is fine, but as you go up the dome, you will begin to get 3/8" to 1/2" joints on the face and even larger ones on the back side.

I used that type on my barrel vault, but I was able to keep the joints thin on the face and fill in the back with a different mortar. Again, I don't recommend it's use for a Pompeii oven.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Believe me it is a compliment to be compared to Les, his is almost a mortarless build. You will most likely encounter what I call for a lack of a better term, mortar creep. You will most likely have to make adjustments. Do them near the front end not the back half. You will never see them that way after the dome is complete unless you stick your head inside. Nice looking start......
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 04-29-2013, 07:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Kbartman, you really do not want to use that refractory cement on your build. It is made for MAXIMUM joint width of 1/4". It is also water soluble, so wetting it is not doing any good. It is a heat-set mortar.

For Heatstop, mix no more than you will use in 10-15 minutes. Slowly add water until is a tad wetter than peanut butter. Once it begins to set, you can re-temper it once (remix it), but after that throw away any left and mix a new batch. It does not need to be kept moist to cure.
    Originally posted by K79 View Post
    thanks kbartman. I'm using Heat Stop for my high heat mortar. No instructions on the bag. I'm going to try and give them a call. What is the normal procedure? You need to spray the mortar until it cures? Roughly how long is that? I'm planning to cover my dome while not working on it with a tarp?
    Can you please explain the re-temper procedure? Basically at around the 10-15 minute mark if it starts to change consistency I can mix it and it'll be good for about another 10 minutes?
    My thoughts are only to slow the air curing process. I believed this would make a better cure.

K 79 your oven is looking good.

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Originally posted by SCChris View Post
    79 the bricks look like you want to dry stack the oven and I fear you're going to find that mortar isn't as thin in the joints as you anticipate. Plan for trimming a brick or two to fit your rings.. Are you planning a "Les" style" oven where you only mortar the back of the bricks?

Chris
    I started this a month or so ago when there was still ice on the ground. I wanted to get them cut as precise as I could and do plan on trimming some as I go / as needed. Some joints on the back side are around 3/8". Also I'm not familiar with Les' oven so not sure if that's a compliment or what

Leave a comment:

• SCChris
    replied

79 the bricks look like you want to dry stack the oven and I fear you're going to find that mortar isn't as thin in the joints as you anticipate. Plan for trimming a brick or two to fit your rings.. Are you planning a "Les" style" oven where you only mortar the back of the bricks?

Chris

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

They look very precise...hurry up and start mudding them in already.

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Great thanks for the info guys.

So how do these cuts and brick sizes look before I mortar them tomorrow in the a.m.? The IT is not in the right place Just my wall bricks are going in, in this photo. The floor bricks are just because I wanted to put some down.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Can you please explain the re-temper procedure?
    I am not speaking for Tscar...just as a Mason. Re-tempering any mortar mix involves adding only enough water for a workable consistency within the accepted time. For HeatStop, after the initial 10-15minutes, re-stir everything in your container before adding the water. Then only add enough to bring it close to were it was when you started. Don't re-temper more than once.
    Last edited by stonecutter; 04-29-2013, 05:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SCChris
    replied

Not knowing what either looks like, what are the functional differences? What are the aesthetic differences?

After knowing these, make a decision and live by it..

No guts, no glory!

Chris

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

I can't believe I'm about to say this but I'm not sure now if I want to do the arch entry like Kbartman or the style with the stright sides like Ken524's oven. Advantages/disadvantages of each? Supposed to be starting my brickwork tomorrow

my name should be Indecisive79

Leave a comment:

• SCChris
    replied

I don't see any issue with leaving the template, without oxygen it'll just carbonize. I would take off any excess you have access to afterward.

Chris

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Anyone see any issues with me leaving a paper stencil between my insulation board and my oven floor? I have a stencil made on my plotter and would like to lay that on my insulation board and lay my brick on it so I can check all of my cuts and fit them as I go. Only issue... no removing it once the brick is in place.

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Kbartman, you really do not want to use that refractory cement on your build. It is made for MAXIMUM joint width of 1/4". It is also water soluble, so wetting it is not doing any good. It is a heat-set mortar.

For Heatstop, mix no more than you will use in 10-15 minutes. Slowly add water until is a tad wetter than peanut butter. Once it begins to set, you can re-temper it once (remix it), but after that throw away any left and mix a new batch. It does not need to be kept moist to cure.
    Can you please explain the re-temper procedure? Basically at around the 10-15 minute mark if it starts to change consistency I can mix it and it'll be good for about another 10 minutes?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X