X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deejayoh
    replied
    Re: K79 Oven Build

I remember looking at Ken's dome when I had this question too!

While I know that Ken's oven is plenty strong, I went with a full arch in front of and behind the vent for a couple reasons

1) I thought it was stronger in the long run
    2) probably more importantly, I wanted to incorporate a heat break, which I could not see a way to do with that design.

I didn't take a lot of pictures of my arch during construction - but here is one that will show you my approach. I cut some "L" shaped bricks to wrap over the inner arch. (note that the "L" bricks shown here are WAY too small. I only did that on this course, the rest of them were much longer.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000035 (2).jpg
Views:	3
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	293284

My design shifted the vent a bit toward the front of the landing vs. Ken's, and I was able to get about 1.5" of overlap over the inner arch. I have a 10" deep landing with about a 5 x 10" vent. So that gives me about 2" of brick arch on the dome side of the vent + 1.5" overlap of the inner arch, and about 3" of brick arch on the front side. The "L" bricks also leave about a 1" reveal on the inner arch. I left a ~1/4 space between the outer and inner arches where they overlapped - and stuffed that with refractory rope before I closed it up.

Personally, I would highly recommend the heat break if you think you will be baking in your oven. IMHO the exposed landing is the biggest source of heat loss in the oven assuming you've done a decent job of insulating the dome.

/soapbox
    Last edited by deejayoh; 03-11-2013, 12:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

I'm modeling my oven off of Ken524's to some extent. I'ld like to make my arch roughly the same as his, but I wanted the vent opening a bit larger. Maybe I don't need it larger.

This is a picture of Ken524's oven. Thanks Ken.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

I can't tell 100% from the picture, but your outer arch should overlap your inner arch a bit. You can't have that open end on the back of your vent. Overlap by a third of a brick and it will give it more strength + you will have more room for your chimney without having to go to a deeper landing.

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Does this look ok? 4" for the arch stones? Also does it look stable to you? I'm concerned about the area mentioned in my previous post.

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

how much reveal does yours have?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X