Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insulation: The more the merrier. But how much more?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-wiz
    replied
    Re: Insulation: The more the merrier. But how much more?

Well i just picked up 6 rolls of the CF insulation, it will make it 6inches of insulation

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    I figure my oven is what will sell the house when I decide to move. I've seen the pics of yours, I have no doubt that's a fair exit strategy for you as well
    I (God willing) will stay here for my remaining years.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

I figure my oven is what will sell the house when I decide to move. I've seen the pics of yours, I have no doubt that's a fair exit strategy for you as well

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    Assuming that one can live several lifetimes. that seems to be the tricky part
    If anyone finds that one simple trick to live several lifetimes, please share!

I am hoping that my oven will out last me, then I won't have to deal with the expense of disposal!

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Originally posted by Aegis View Post
    Also remember your oven is designed to last several lifetimes, cost of insulation spread out over 70 years is usually a pretty small number.
    Assuming that one can live several lifetimes. that seems to be the tricky part

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Aegis thanks for the info. Thats good to know.

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

btw I have 4inches of foamglas under hearth, 4 inches kaowool blanket around the dome an air gap heat break around vent area and chimney. On top of the blanket is 6-12 inches of loose vermiculite. (It would be nice if I had more blanket on the dome)
    Heat my dome to 850 degrees for pizza, after pizza I close the insulated door (2inches of foamglas between a sheet of steel and Ipe wood.
    Next morning temp 575-600 bake a full load of bread. temp down to 500
    next morning temp 375-400 roast chicken dinner, turkey or what ever we have in the fridge that does well at those temps.
    next morning 275-300 slow cook meat time!
    Next morning 180-200 let it cool to 140 and load with wood to dry for next pizza party.
    I have broken this up with a reheat during those days I wanted an extra pizza colzone day!

ps These temps are almost the same during winter or summer, temp difference winter 35 degrees highs 0 lows, summer 80 highs and 60 lows

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Insulation - Stuff put between spaces of two different temperatures so they equalize out at a slower than natural rate. Ok short version, when it come to keeping heat in an area for extended periods of time...there is no such thing as over insulating - period. Now taking into account cost verses return on investment, you can argue this based on your budget, or lack of one.
    Things to keep in the back of your thought process:
    1) Heat retention versus cost of materials. If 2" blanket losses 15 degrees per hour and costs 100.00 usd and 4" blanket losses 10 degrees per hour and costs 200.00 usd Then looking at cost per degree savings 2" is more cost effective. Now add in the cost of wood raise the temp to cooking and the length of time you will cook. If you want to cook for three or four days then the extra insulation will save you from building additional fires (wood costs) If you have unlimited free wood, take that into account, but your time to tend the fire is also a consideration.
    Where you live is almost meaningless in this consideration for ambient temps pale to oven temps. If you have ambient temp outside of 20 versus 80 degrees the oven is at 900 degrees. the difference is small and not worth looking at for savings. The thermal transfer from 900 to 80 is a difference of 820 degrees versus a difference of 880 or approx. 5% no worries here for sure. Insulate for the 800+ degree difference and disregard the added or subtracted 60 degrees. Also if cooking things for any length of time you want the temp to be stable. (losing less than 8 degrees per hour) Such as pulled pork slow cooking for 14 to 18 hours! Mmmmmmmmmmmm
    Also remember your oven is designed to last several lifetimes, cost of insulation spread out over 70 years is usually a pretty small number. If you are just cooking pizzas, no insulation is a good way to go!
    Good Luck!

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Originally posted by Bacterium View Post
    That's why the mantra is
    Insulate......insulate......insulate

Isn't the thermal.equivalent of blanket same as 2layers of vermicrete?
    Obviously cost and how much space you have around your build are the other 2 things (thermal efficiency is the first) that drive your decision process. For example with my build I want to fit a bar fridge underneath so the equivalent in vermicrete puts the oven floor to high so calsil was my best option to keep the floor thickness down.

Not worried about space, or cost. As there is a local supplier that sells the CF blanket for $25 for a 25 square foot roll.

Leave a comment:

• Laurentius
    replied

Originally posted by V-wiz View Post
    Ok thanks guys. I trust you all
    DON'T!!!!!!! Never all.

Leave a comment:

• Bacterium
    replied

That's why the mantra is
    Insulate......insulate......insulate

Isn't the thermal.equivalent of blanket same as 2layers of vermicrete?
    Obviously cost and how much space you have around your build are the other 2 things (thermal efficiency is the first) that drive your decision process. For example with my build I want to fit a bar fridge underneath so the equivalent in vermicrete puts the oven floor to high so calsil was my best option to keep the floor thickness down.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Ok thanks guys. I trust you all

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Right, im aware of that as i pointed that in my OP, but would 3 inches still be enough?
    I agree with brickie. That's enough by itself w/o any vermiculite.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Coldest it would get is probably 37F

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Right, im aware of that as i pointed that in my OP, but would 3 inches still be enough?

If you lived in the Arctic that would be more than enough.

Edit:
    I just saw that you live in LA, 3" is way too much, how cold does it get there?
    Last edited by brickie in oz; 03-13-2013, 11:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X