Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insulation: The more the merrier. But how much more?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-wiz
    replied
    Re: Insulation: The more the merrier. But how much more?

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    Wrong.
    CF has more insulating properties that vermiculite.
    Right, im aware of that as i pointed that in my OP, but would 3 inches still be enough?

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by V-wiz View Post
    i should technically be using more CF insulation right?
    Wrong.
    CF has more insulating properties that vermiculite.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Thanks for the respond all. 3" is assuming that vermiculite will be used right? since im not planning on using Vcrete i should technically be using more CF insulation right? about 4-5 inches worth? Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

three to four inches of CF blanket is plenty

to irelande's post, I think that it is better to invest in a good door and a heat break than to add insulation beyond that. It is $50 a roll or something like that, after all...

Leave a comment:

• irelande5
    replied

I went 3 " of blanket, then topped that with 3" of vermic-crete, what I found in research from other member and posts was that obvious heat loss is realized more at top, and more is truly better in this instance. I had no trouble with blanket compressing, actually the vermic was so light it helped shelter it and really helped dome final shape. I have a make shift metal door, not nearly tight nor is in insulated, working on that now, and given that i reach working temps of 950 plus, the next day its around 400-500, day after that still in 250 range. good luck!

Leave a comment:

• azatty
    replied

Originally posted by V-wiz View Post
    So how many inches of insulation would you guys recommend i use?
    Three inches is the standard for ceramic blanket. There's a thread kicking around the board concerning diminishing returns of insulation, but I don't recall where it is.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    started a topic Insulation: The more the merrier. But how much more?

Insulation: The more the merrier. But how much more?

So im slowly getting ready to pick up rolls of Ceramic fiber insulation for my igloo style oven. I am going to install as much insulation as needed and skip V-Crete. I understand that CF blanket is more efficient than V-Crete and i just don't want to deal with V-Crete. I have a game plan for shaping the dome so im not worried about the shape. What i am concerned about is the overall bulk of the dome. I don't want to have a "fat-head" dome. So how many inches of insulation would you guys recommend i use?

Thanks for your help.
Working...
X